Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ruy Lopez - Bird's Defence (Read 45546 times)
Nausikaa
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Ruy Lopez - Bird's Defence
Reply #36 - 11/11/05 at 14:50:45
Post Tools
After 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nd4 4. Bc4 Nxf3+ 5.Qxf3 doesn't White just stand better?

P.S. Is there any good literature about the bird?

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #35 - 10/13/05 at 08:32:22
Post Tools
Charles_G's suggestion cries out for human input which I've no time right now to give it, but my Fritz suggests the immediate Bxd6 is nothing and prefers:

(I)  16 b3 Qa5 17 Qg3 Bf6 (17 ...Rad8 18 Re3!) 18 Re3 Be5 19 Red3 b5 20 cb cb 21 Be5 de 22 Nd5 (but Black defends after 22 ...Bd5 --?).

(II) 16 Qe2 a6!? (is 16 ...Qb6 OK, this patzerish piece of carbon wonders?) 17 c5 d5 18 b4 with some advantage?

IP Logged

IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Reply #34 - 10/13/05 at 07:25:46
Post Tools
The "latest" literature I could dig up for this subject were two rather thin booklets by Colin Leach (somewhere in the 80s) and one by P. Romario in the 90s.

Since the "main line" mentioned above was published in the 60s, no one dared to take as a more serious matter; something I want to change!

Therefore I was trying to start a discussion about several critical lines; the main line already took some shape.

About those d3 sacs; I don't get many games with that (no tournament game so far, just a few games on the net, though they were quite fun) - but if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I would be glad to try to answer them!

"Chess you don't learn, chess you understand!" (V. Korchnoi)
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Charles_G
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #33 - 10/12/05 at 11:40:57
Post Tools
Ive been taking a look at this line and i want to ask how bad is really the position for black after e4 e5 Nf Nc Bb5 nd4 Nxd4 ed 00 c6 Bc4 Nf6 Re1 d6 c3 Ng4 h3 Ne5 d3 Nxc4 dc4 bc3 Nc3 Be7 Bf4 00 Qd3 Be6 Rad1 and last, the correct Re8.. arent the chances balanced? I would like to know those awesome engines say about this position.

Also, it would be nice to see the lines where black sacs a pawn for the initiative, specially the ones in d3 when the knight is on e5. You guys should search for the game between Joel benjamin vs. Soltis its one of those sac lines.

Anyone know any latest literature published on this opening? I have a very old book by Soltis and McCormick..

Ok everyone! thanks.
Cheesy Grin Smiley Wink

feel free to email me at Benko187@msn.com !
AIM  
IP Logged

IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Reply #32 - 10/12/05 at 08:45:31
Post Tools
Greetings!

I'd hate to see this discussion vanish, so I felt to ask a few questions since I am now more willing (as having more time) to analyze possible problems:

@MichealAydon

In an earlier post, you stated that after

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nd4 4.Nxd4 exd4 5.0-0 c6 6.Bc4 Nf6 7.Re1 d6 8.c3 Ng4 9.h3 Ne5 10.d3 Qb6!? 11.Bb3 Be6 12.Bxe6 fxe6 13.cxd4 Qxd4 14.Nc3!

"the white d-pawn is obviously immune".

That might be true in view of 14...Qxd3 15.Qb3, but what if I play 14....0-0-0 (in order to protect b7 and to get my king into some safety)? The pawn is still hanging then, and I am sure you would not want to protect it with 15.Re3, as 15...g5 should be clearly better for Black (as the centre is completely fixed and Black has a good grip on the dark squares). 15.Qb3 may be well met with 15...d5, and although the configuration looks a bit shaky (e.g. 16.Be3 Qxd3 17.Bxa7!? or 16.exd5 exd5 17.Be3 Qxd3 18.Bxa7!?), I did not find an immediate way to refute it (I don't have an engine at my hand, so tactical oversights are possible), although I admit that this are just ideas to get the conversation going again. If there is no refutation, d3 is still hanging, and Black can complete his development while having a strong centre.

@kevinludwig

Your last statement was that Black has difficulties in an upcoming endgame since after

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nd4 4.Nxd4 exd4 5.0-0 c6 6.Bc4 Nf6 7.Re1 d6 8.c3 Ng4 9.h3 Ne5 10.d3 Qb6!? 11.a3 Nxc4 12.dxc4 bxc3 13.Nxc3 Be7 14.Bf4 0-0 15.Bxd6 Bxd6 16.Qxd6 Qxb2 17.Qb4 Qxb4 18.axb4 Be6 19.c5

"what ends up happening, is instead of playing e5 and allowing the bishop to outpost on d5, the computer suggests f2-f4-f5, dislodging the bishop from e6 while denying the square d5 (g2-g4 may come later also). Then the King improves via Kf2-Ke3. ... White's king seems better prepared to penetrate."

I'd like to challenge that statement, as I would like to know how White can make concrete progress:

- When playing 19...Rfd8, White should be forced to play Rd1 to prevent ...Rd4. Granted, it is possible to come up with f2-f4-f5 and Kf2-e3, but the Bishop will find a rather safen haven on c4. I do not see how White can manage to restrict the bishop.

- It is even possible to regroup the bishop to a6, where it relieves the a-Rook of his duty to protect a7 AND where it protects b7 as well. Due to the fixed pawns it is not even possible for White to dislodge the bishop from there, as the knight will never get any access to c7.

- White will never gain control of the d-file. On the other hand, I do not see why Black should fear an endgame Knight vs. Bishop. While White should not be able to exploit his kingside majority, Black might be very able to do so with his queenside majority. There are not any weaknesses in the black camp, and the white knight will have a hard time creating some. Granted, Black does not have great winning chances, but that's life Smiley

But enough for now. I'd be glad to get some "fresh eyes" on my thought. Of course, people are also welcome to discuss any other lines than the main line; Bird's Defence is so full of possibilities!

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #31 - 07/04/05 at 17:14:57
Post Tools
Good stuff! Having had a better look at 15 ...0-0 I'm sure you're right to suggest it's reasonable for Black -- I was wrong to dismiss it. I asked Fritz about this as well. After 16 Bd6 Bd6 17 Qd6 Qc4 18 Rad1 it suggested the plan of ...f6, ...Qf7 and ...Be6. This might look a bit passive but it seems quite solid and Black might expand with ...f5 later acc. to Fritz, e.g.: 18 ...f6 19 Re3 Qf7 20 b4 Be6 21 Qc5 a6 22 Red3 f5 23 Rf3 Qg6 24 Qe7 Qf7 (24 ...Rf7 seems OK too after 25 Qh4 Re8 26 Rd6 fe 27 Re3 Ref8 or ...Rf3!?) 25 Qf7 Rf7 26 e5 Re7 27 g3 Bb3 28 Re1 Rd8 29 Rfe3 Kf7 30 f4 Ke6 =.

So maybe 14 Be3 isn't so terrible after all! Kevinludwig's endgame plan after 14 Bf4 is still looking a serious threat though! I wonder if you've come up with anything here, Christoph? -- maybe the future of 10 ...Qb6 depends on Black drawing the teeth of this line ...

IP Logged

IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Reply #30 - 07/01/05 at 04:59:45
Post Tools
So, I had a rather quick look at the position in the line with 11.a3!?

As already mentioned by AvH, I can't see what is wrong with the position after 11...Nxc4 12.dxc4 bxc3 13.Nxc3 Be7 14.Be3 Qa6 15.Bf4 0-0!

White can play 16.Bxd6 Bxd6 17.Qxd6 Qxc4 when he may gain control over the d-file, but how much is that? Black can comfortably blockade the e-pawn, and White does not manage to get his knight to d6 for example, as Black can play ...Bf5 in response to e4-e5

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Reply #29 - 06/28/05 at 00:10:40
Post Tools
Agreed, Black's perspectives are long-term (bishop pair, or [if White trades on e7] light-squared Bishop against Knight) at best - but not necessarily worse. Just let me get my hands on a board so I can analyse the position a bit Smiley

I can't promise to have results quickly ... But the Bird will prevail! Smiley

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #28 - 06/27/05 at 16:18:19
Post Tools
Well, I admire your assiduity and I'm sure you are right in principle not to give up. But as well as suspecting White is always going to be better after 11 a3 I'm also worried by the lack of counterplay in many of these lines. Take for example the line you mention with 17 e5 0-0 18 Ne4. I can see that this is very messy and that it could be that Black can defend if he plays highly accurately, but isn't it true that most of the practical chances are with White and Black faces a thankless task showing he's OK here? If 18 ...Re8 then maybe 19 Re3, and I'd wager the late great Henry Bird himself would much rather have White. I haven't at all given up on the Bird's -- it's just that with so many much more exciting variations to investigate (e.g. Bird's original 5 ...h5!?) I don't myself fancy devoting more time to this line just yet. But of course I'll hang in if some interesting analysis appears ...

IP Logged

IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Reply #27 - 06/27/05 at 14:08:21
Post Tools
Don't give up the Bird so quickly Smiley

As for my original proposal, 18...Qe7 indeed does not seem to work after 18.Qc7; 21.Qc4! is a strong move I have not considered.

However, what if after 14.Be3 Qa6 15.Bf4 Qxc4 16.Bxd6 I play the immediate 16...Qe6? White does not get the chance to place his queen on c7, and he must react since his bishop is now attacked. Should White choose 17.Bxe7, I don't see problems after 17...Qe7, since after 18.Nd5 (for example) Black can simply play 18...Qd8, after which White has gained nothing. Should he retreat the bishop on the h2-b8 diagonal, Black can castle and shouldn't have problems, too. Finally, White can play 18.e5, but then I will castle as well, and the pawn is comfortably blocked. White may have prospects with Ne4, but Black might be able to occupy the e-file with Re8 and trade on d6 in the exact moment.

All these ideas are (yet again) born without any sight on the board, since I don't have one here. But maybe one of you might take up for Black and investigate a bit more?

And if all that should fail (I still need to find a response to the f2-f4-f5 plan in the "endgame"), I am sure there are still alternatives after 11.a3!?

But one step at a time...

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #26 - 06/27/05 at 13:30:48
Post Tools
I don't see it either, AvH! Moreover 15 ...0-0 looks grotty too. So unless Christoph can come up with something pretty drastic, 14 Be3, and possibly also the 14 Bf4 ending, look to put the 10 ...Qb6 idea under a cloud, from under which I for one suspect it will not emerge ...

Of course the Bird's as a whole is far from dead, and maybe we need to start looking at other lines. One possibility is to play ...Qb6 on move 8, as Tolush used to do. Anyway, if I get time later I'll start a new thread on Mr Bird's combative and interesting variation.

IP Logged

AvH

Reply #25 - 06/26/05 at 14:39:55
Post Tools
@Cwisnewski

In the 14.Be3 Qa6 variation 18.Qa3 isn't possible btw, but after 18.Qc7 Qe7?! white has the strong move 19.Nd5 after which white is (I think) better. Black might be holding the draw, but I wouldn't like playing this as black  Sad. For example 19...cxd5 20.exd5 Be6 21.Qc4! white already wins a pawn after 0-0 so black should play 21...Rc8 but after 22.Qb5+ Qd7 23.Qb3! white also wins a pawn. What is the refutation of 19.Nd5? I don't see it.

IP Logged

IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Reply #24 - 06/26/05 at 04:51:45
Post Tools
@MichaelAydon

Again, I have no board with me, but remember to have analysed your line earlier with the "inventor" of 11.a3

I think we also had 14.Be3 as our "main line", thinking that Black might be able to hold on by playing 14...Qa6 15.Bf4 Qxc4 16.Bxd6 Bxd6 17.Qxd6 Qe6 18.Qc7 (we only had 18.Qa3, but this might be similar) Qe7

Now, if White trades queens, Black won't have any problems at all. On the other hand, if White does not trade queens, what should he do? Black can comfortably develop with Be6 and 0-0. I don't see any problems with Black's position here.

@KevinLudwig

As I pointed out earlier, I only had a short look at the whole variation. But I will surely have a deeper look over the next week. I do think, too, that this is the crucial line for the whole system.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #23 - 06/25/05 at 17:45:02
Post Tools
Hi AvH and thanks for this. As is often the way, I realised as soon as I'd made my last post that I'd forgotten to look at [14 Be3 Qa6 15 Bf4] 15 ... 0-0! Maybe this is OK for Black? If so Kevinludwig's idea might be looking the strongest, and perhaps a serious threat to the whole line? I'm sure this ending will get examined in more depth over the coming days/weeks -- after all it should be possible to work out whether it's winning or drawing.

The only other idea I've had is 11 a3 dc 12 Nc3 and now 12 ...Be7. Looks horribly slow and a bit desperate but who knows ...

IP Logged

AvH

Reply #22 - 06/25/05 at 15:00:27
Post Tools
@kevinludwig

I indeed think that your plan is very interesting and it may be better than my original plan, but also in your variations the d6 square may be useful for white.

@Michael Ayton

You might/may be right that 14.Be3 is the move. At first sight I thought that 14...Qc7 would be just fine for black, but indeed only then your idea Bf4 with c5 may be very good for white. I only very shortly looked at 15.Bf4 Be6 16.c5 Rd8 and I thought black didn't have problems, but his position is just terrible. White can play either 17.Re2-d2 of 17.Qa4 (Fritz8) with a good position for white.
14...Qd8 just sucks as you are back in the old main-line, with white having played the extra moves Be3 and a3. Be3 won't be a useful won tempo, but a3 is I think just a small extra advantage for white, above the already clear advantage he has in the main line without Qb6.
After 14...Qa6!? 15.Bf4 black can also castle and after 16.Bxd6 Bxd6 17.Qxd6 Qxc4 we have almost the same position as I analysed a bit in my previous post. The difference is that black now has taken the d-pawn instead of the b-pawn. I'm not sure which side benefits the most from this difference. If the idea from kevinludwig really gives white a clear advantage this variation of course can only be in black's favour.
This was it for now, any comments?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo