Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Need good introduction book for sicilian (Read 1310 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Need good introduction book for sicilian
Reply #2 - 07/26/05 at 19:09:14
Post Tools
How many threads has Antonos asked this question in?

On Top Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

johnmac
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Need good introduction book for sicilian
Reply #1 - 07/26/05 at 14:31:53
Post Tools
Hi Antonos,

I really enjoy the Sicillian Labyrinth Vol 1 and Vol 2 by Lev Polugayevsky. I'm not sure if it is still in print but no doubt you can get a second had copy.

Vol 1 has two parts - "Opening Experiences in the Sicilian Defence" and "Attack and Defence in the Middlegame".

Vol 2 also has two parts "Middlegame Strategy" and "Endgame Silhoettes"

Danny Kopec wrote a nice little book for Batsford called Mastering the Sicilian which I also like. This book has chapters on the "Scheveningen Structure", "Dragon Structure",  "Richter Rauzer Variation", "Characteristic Boleslavsky Structure", "Kan Stucture and its relatives",
"Offbeat systems" (Okelly, Nimzovitch, Lowenthal), and finally a chapter on various closed (closed as in not open) systems.

A couple of good games collections are "Tactics in the chess opening 1 - Sicilian defence" by A.C. van der Tak & Friso Nijboer, and "Tactics in the Sicilian" by Gennady Nesis.

Anyhow I list the books in my order of preference, and I hope that if you purchase them they will provide you with the type of guidence that you are looking for.

I almost forgot a truely great collection of Scilian games is in the book "Sicilian Love" by Lev Polugaevsky and Jeroen Piket. This is a collection of games played in the Lev Polgugaevsky Chess Tournament, Buenos Aires 1994.  The Participants: Anand, Ivanchuk, Kamsky, Karpov, Ljubojevic. Judith Polgar, Salov and Shirov. The obliged opening moves were  1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 (or d6 or e6 ) 3. d4 cd4 4. Nd4.

A bear of very little brain.

IP Logged

Antonos
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Need good introduction book for sicilian
07/26/05 at 09:51:16
Post Tools
Hi all,

I would like to include sicilian defense(s) in my opening repertoire with black. I am a 2100-rated (USCF) player, but I almost never played sicilian in serious games. Any suggestion for good sicilian intro books for this level?
It does not have to be very basic, but what I would like to have is good presentation of the typical strategic ideas and middlegame plans for both sides.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo