Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Does the f3/O-O Dragon have a name? (Read 2359 times)
basqueknight
Ex Member

Re: Does the f3/O-O Dragon have a name?
Reply #3 - 09/18/05 at 23:42:09
Post Tools
My friend scott plays this line. I call it the Scott variation. I dont ever have to face it but ive seen him employ it multiple times.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #2 - 08/01/05 at 15:41:06
Post Tools
Good advice.  As for the logic of f3 combined with O-O instead of the normal Yugoslav and O-O-O, true, it doesn't appear to be sensible, but I think people are using it to avoid playing into black's Dragon preparation.  White ends up with equality at best, but avoids the heavy duty theoretical stuff, plus, if he knows what he's doing, he can get a time advantage if black hasn't seen it much and has to work it out with the clock ticking...very important in blitz. 

When I first started to play the Dragon online last year, I hardly ever saw it...maybe once every 50 games in the open Sicilian.  Now it's once every 25 or so.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #1 - 08/01/05 at 14:37:48
Post Tools
Erm, sounds like you need some good middlegame books there Highway. Grin

To answer your questions as Briefly as possible.

A) This is just a variation within the Classical complex, it has no specific name.

B) Why play f3 and then castle 0-0, its illogical.

C) Black's plan is the same ole stanby as in all Sicilian positions, using the half open C file. So why not double or triple the heavy forces on the C file, pinning the c3 Knight to the c2 pawn and then seeking to dislodge the Knight with a5, b4. In the meantime what is White doing again exactly.

D) Your query is why I always suggest trying to understand an Opening, its typical Themes, plans and maneuvres rather than rote memorisation. An Opening book or any for that matter can't cover every legal or toothless variation by the opponent.

Conclusion, spend less time in the theory section of the book and more time in the concepts and plans overview. This could prove invaluable in the majority of your games.

Your humble servant

Topster Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Does the f3/O-O Dragon have a name?
08/01/05 at 12:40:26
Post Tools
What is the name of the Classical Dragon variation where white plays Be2 or Bc4, coupled with an early f3 but he does not O-O-O?  White acts like he might play the Yugoslav by feinting with an early f3, but then castles kingside and delays Qd2 (or doesn’t play it at all).  I can’t find this structure in Dearing’s book or in “Winning With the Sicilian Dragon 2” by Chris Ward.  I also can’t find it in Nunn’s Chess Openings. 

It is showing up more frequently in my online games than it used to.  One of my 5-minute games today went like this:  Worthy opponent – Lost Highway 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be2 Bg7 7.O-O O-O 8.f3 Nc6 9.Be3 d5 10.Nxc6 bc6 11.ed5 Nxd5 12.Nxd5 cd5 13.c3 Rb8 14.Qd2 a5.  This looks ok for black, and I later won, but he should have drawn. 

I think Bc4/f3/O-O is stronger than the Be2/f3/O-O formation.  Sometimes black spends too much time and deploys too much material against the queenside where white’s king is not located, and then white plays f3-f4-f5.  The f3/O-O structure feels more solid for white than h3 and O-O because it inhibits the black tricks with Nxe4 etc. that show up in the h3 variation.  Does f3/O-O have a name?  Is there a known reliable way for black to deal with it?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo