Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Danish gambiteer switching to "respectable" games. (Read 10642 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: Danish gambiteer switching to "respectable" ga
Reply #3 - 08/02/05 at 03:46:25
Post Tools
Well, the KG would be a natural upgrade from the Danish, but if that doesn't suit her, why not just play the Two Knights / Max Lange complex? You'll need something for the Petroff, but that goes for most of the alternatives anyway...

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #2 - 08/02/05 at 03:24:39
Post Tools
Scotch Gambit.....
I thought the point was that she was going away from gambit-play?

Spanish....
It can't be the spanish because too much theory??

If my assumptions are correct, I will recommend the Ponziani!. Smiley
It is sound, unusual and quite dangerous if black isnt really prepared for it. Im no expert, but have tried it occasionally in blitz.

BUT u also have to prepare the petroff... Sad

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 08/02/05 at 03:10:54
Post Tools
Well, there is the King's Gambit of course ... But if you are trying to steer them away from always gambiting pawns, the Vienna / Bishop's Opening complex is good - and has the benefit (like the KG) of avoiding the Petroff (not that I have anything against the Petroff, I should add).

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Danish gambiteer switching to "respectable" games.
08/02/05 at 01:53:08
Post Tools
Hi,

I have a new student who wants to stop playing the Danish (which I think is a good idea ~ probably why her parents chose me) and move to openings that score better against the best high school players in the state (1800-2200 USCF). 

I was planning to recommend the Scotch Gambit as a reasonable transitional opening (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 ed4 4.c3), but 4...Nf6! is supposed to lead to immediate equality while 4...d5!? may even give Black a slight edge.

So  I was thinking of just going straight into the Scotch proper, but I don't have much practical experience playing this on the White side in serious games.  I prefer Black after 4.Nd4 Bc5 5.Nc6 Qf6!  Lips Sealed

This leaves me in a quandry.  Do I recommend a system that is still somewhat popular but that I don't believe in, or do I find something else?  This student needs an opening that is not the Spanish.  Shocked

I am looking for a theoretically sound opening that is sharp, dynamic and fun.  What openings do you recommend that fits this description???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo