Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Queens Gambit accepted (Read 20308 times)
alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Re: Queens Gambit accepted
Reply #7 - 08/09/05 at 09:05:11
Post Tools
Quote:
(BTW - Semkov and Sakaev - allow me the liberty of suggesting that English proof-editing accompany the next edition, as there are some extremely odd grammatical and stylistic errors that could easily be avoided in the book)

I agree.  It annoys me when an otherwise very well translated book from German say, has grating errors like 'a brilliant sacrifice of quality' when they mean 'a brilliant exchange sacrifice' because of translators' ignorance of chess expressions - a simple proofread by a chess-playing native speaker would eradicate that completely.

I for one would be happy to undertake this in return for a free copy of some of the Chess Stars books ... much cheaper than paying 'professional' proofreaders who know nothing about chess.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Frankly

The power to make men
happy or to drive them
mad

Reply #6 - 08/09/05 at 08:29:13
Post Tools
I've just received my copy of 'The Queen's Gambit Accepted' by Sakaev and Semkov. I have always been interested in e4, until I was discouraged by the orthodoxy that it is over-hasty. These authors start with this line, and have renewed my enthusiasm for it. I will reserve judgement until I finally work through the whole book. For the time being, I will play e4. As the authors say (page eight [if I type the number I get a smiley with sunglasses!]), if you look at the e4 lines, you might discover that it is refreshing to forget about systems like 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 Bg4, or 3. Nf3 a6 or 3. Nf3 c5, not to mention the IQP lines which they say can be far more insidious than they look on the surface.

(BTW - Semkov and Sakaev - allow me the liberty of suggesting that English proof-editing accompany the next edition, as there are some extremely odd grammatical and stylistic errors that could easily be avoided in the book)

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #5 - 08/09/05 at 00:21:27
Post Tools
Sometimes while wandering I've wondered which chess variations were best.  I'm no expert on the QGA but if I had to pick just one variation for Black after 3.e4 it would be 3...Nc6.  It appears relatively sound and offers Black chances to play for a win.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #4 - 08/08/05 at 18:31:45
Post Tools
Quote:
I started playing my first opening ever agin the queens gambit. I told my self when i stopped playing it i would return after my understanding was more complete. It now is more complete. I am looking at a very interesting line in the accepted: 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dc 3.e4!?. I was wandering if any one here plays this line and what is a good place to look for inspiration. Any players who play it all the time and the like of books or cd or even dvds.

Not to nit pick , but I have noticed that in many of your posts you seem to be 'wandering', please note that to wander means to go from place to place aimlessly. I think the word you are looking for is wondering.

Please be guided accordingly.

Tops Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 08/08/05 at 02:59:24
Post Tools
Well, as someone who occasionally toys with the QGA with Black, I disagree entirely with the idea that 3...e5 is the way to go.  Black can easily come under a heavy attack in these lines.  Personally I think both 3...Nf6 and 3...Nc6 are preferable.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/05 at 08:56:18
Post Tools
I still think 3. e4 is THE test of the QGA, at least it has that critical "look" to it! Lifelong 1. d4 players Van Wely and Sakaev are the main proponents, and its noteworthy that Topalov chooses 3. e4 whenever he plays 1. d4 and gets the QGA. 3. e4 e5 4. Nf3 ed4 5. Bxc4 Nc6 is the way for Black to go, but Kasparov's fierce attack against Anand seems to have put it out of commission, unjustifiably it seems. i don't really believe in other continuations like Rublevsky's 5... Bb4+, or earlier deviations like 3... Nc6, 3.... Nf6, 3... c5 all of which to me is at least += without much difficulty.
« Last Edit: 08/09/05 at 21:33:25 by lnn2 »  

IP Logged

fianchetto
YaBB Newbies

Reply #1 - 08/06/05 at 05:36:34
Post Tools
3.e4 was Karpov's main weapon against the QGA, so it's a good place to start. You will also be able to find some Tchuky games on the white side of this variation, some old Timman-Lautier encounters, a few Kasparov games...Or maybe make a little search with Anand, Ponomariov or Rublevsky on the black side, for sure you will find many top players  defending this 3.e4 variation  Wink

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Queens Gambit accepted
08/05/05 at 22:04:46
Post Tools
I started playing my first opening ever agin the queens gambit. I told my self when i stopped playing it i would return after my understanding was more complete. It now is more complete. I am looking at a very interesting line in the accepted: 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dc 3.e4!?. I was wandering if any one here plays this line and what is a good place to look for inspiration. Any players who play it all the time and the like of books or cd or even dvds.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo