Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Sicilian for the Lazy" in English? (Read 23248 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: "Sicilian for the Lazy" in English?
Reply #8 - 08/23/05 at 18:01:50
Post Tools
Quote:
to Topnotch : Bronzniks 'reply' to 7. ed5:!?   :
"Auf der suche nach etas anderem fand ich... Da5!?
Eine interessante und sehr kämpferische Forsetzung - Schwarz will beweisen, dass die Randposition des gegnerischen Springers auch ihre Schattenseiten hat."
I actually bought the book after a short e-discussion with Keilhack (the editor) about one variation deemed the killer-move, from which it became clear that my correspondent puts the stakes for his publications much higher than is 'usual'.
For those who still hesitate to buy a book in German : you could get the gist of the above quote, couldn't you ? So...

Thanks Strap, very insightful post.  Roll Eyes

Topper Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Strapatzer

Reply #7 - 08/23/05 at 14:23:52
Post Tools
to Topnotch : Bronzniks 'reply' to 7. ed5:!?   :
"Auf der suche nach etas anderem fand ich... Da5!?
Eine interessante und sehr kämpferische Forsetzung - Schwarz will beweisen, dass die Randposition des gegnerischen Springers auch ihre Schattenseiten hat."
I actually bought the book after a short e-discussion with Keilhack (the editor) about one variation deemed the killer-move, from which it became clear that my correspondent puts the stakes for his publications much higher than is 'usual'.
For those who still hesitate to buy a book in German : you could get the gist of the above quote, couldn't you ? So...

IP Logged

Zarvox

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #6 - 08/16/05 at 23:04:12
Post Tools
Thanks for the replies.

alumbrado - according to the Watson review, the book gives 3.Nc3 a6 4.d4 (4.g3 b5!?) 4...b5!? 5.d5 Bb7 rather than transposing into the Kan, which you correctly point out would stop being a Lazy Sicilian.

lnn2 - I've considered getting the Raetsky book, but am not sure I like the Four Knights variation.

TopNotch - Thanks for posting that game. I'd also like to know what Bronznik says about this line. White does look better after 6. Na3 d5 as in the game, and 10. Nf5 instead of 10. b4 looks strong to me. Still, maybe there are improvements for Black, and I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to call it a refutation.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #5 - 08/11/05 at 20:54:28
Post Tools
Quote:
Is anyone else interested in an English translation of Bronznik's Sizilianisch für Müßiggänger (Sicilian for the Lazy)? It seems like a very interesting book on the Basman-Sale variation 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Bc5.

There's a very positive review by Watson at http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_jw/jw_Sicilian_for_the_Lazy.html

And information on the book at Kania's website http://www.kaniaverlag.de/

Now, you could say why not just make the effort to understand the German version... but that would then hardly be Sicilian for the lazy. Smiley

I emailed Harald Keilhack about this and he said he had not decided, but that I was the first person to express an interest in an English version of the book.

So, is anyone else interested? Does anyone have any thoughts about the book, or about the Basman-Sale in general?

A German GM told me recently that this line is refuted by 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Bc5 5.Be3! Qb6 6.Na3!. He cited the following game in which the little known IM Osvaldo Zambrana missed his chances:

[Event "Capablanca Mem Mixto"]
[Site "Havana CUB"]
[Date "2002.??.??"]
[White "Zambrana,O"]
[Black "Araque,R"]
[Round "8"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[WhiteElo "2389"]
[BlackElo "2365"]
[ECO "B40"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Qb6 5. Be3
Bc5 6. Na3 d5 7. exd5 exd5 8. Bb5+ Bd7 9. O-O
Nf6 10. b4 Bxb4 11. Rb1 Qa5 12. Nb3 Qd8 13. Bc5
Bxc5 14. Nxc5 O-O 15. Nxb7 Qc7 16. Bxd7 Nbxd7 17. Qd3 Ne5 18. Qg3 Ne4 19. Qf4 f6 20. Rb3 Rab8 21. Rfb1
Nc3 22. Nb5 Rxb7 23. Nxc3 Rxb3 24. Rxb3 d4 25. Qxd4
Rd8 26. Rb7 Rxd4 27. Rxc7 Rd2  1/2-1/2

What does Bronznik have to say about all this and perhaps more importantly what says the forum.

Toppers Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #4 - 08/11/05 at 06:42:48
Post Tools
I will also be happy to see Bronznik's Sicilian for the Lazy in English.

One book that made a good impression on me is Raetsky's Meeting 1. e4. The repertoire featured is pretty lazy too: simply e7-e6 and d7-d5 against anti-sicilians like Grand Prix and the Closed Sicilian. As a caro/french player i felt totally at home!

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 08/11/05 at 03:52:50
Post Tools
This is true, although there are some low-theory options against 3.Bb5 - in particular the Grivas Sicilian player is liekly to be attracted by the slightly under-rated 3...Qb6!?

Also the would-be Lazy Sicilian player has to have something in store against 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.Nc3!? - not an uncommon move order.

It may be that the "prescription" after the normal move order 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Bc5 5.Nc3 is to play 5...a6, in which case 3.Nc3 can be met by 3...a6, but to my mind that stops being a Lazy Sicilian and becomes a Kan - certainly it is covered in John Emms' (very good) book on the Kan.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Zarvox

Reply #2 - 08/11/05 at 03:36:01
Post Tools
I'm don't know much about the Grivas Sicilian, but it looks like the book is pretty dense in analysis, and I'm not too fond of him naming each variation after a Greek god or goddess. Smiley

Also, 2...Nc6 allows the Rossolimo, which the lazy Sicilian player would probably like to avoid.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 08/11/05 at 03:15:18
Post Tools
Well, they might have been beaten to it by another 'Lazy' (by which I assume is meant that there is no need to study vast amounts of theory) Sicilian, as Gambit have just published A Complete Guide to the Grivas Sicilian by Grivas himself (although I'm not sure he can really lay claim to the variation as I'm sure it had been played before he came along!).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904600360/qid%3D1123747920/202-4432135...
This says it has yet to be published, but BCM already has it as in stock in its website.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Zarvox

"Sicilian for the Lazy" in English?
08/10/05 at 19:25:43
Post Tools
Is anyone else interested in an English translation of Bronznik's Sizilianisch für Müßiggänger (Sicilian for the Lazy)? It seems like a very interesting book on the Basman-Sale variation 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Bc5.

There's a very positive review by Watson at http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_jw/jw_Sicilian_for_the_Lazy.html

And information on the book at Kania's website http://www.kaniaverlag.de/

Now, you could say why not just make the effort to understand the German version... but that would then hardly be Sicilian for the lazy. Smiley

I emailed Harald Keilhack about this and he said he had not decided, but that I was the first person to express an interest in an English version of the book.

So, is anyone else interested? Does anyone have any thoughts about the book, or about the Basman-Sale in general?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo