Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Game collections (Read 64004 times)
shuda2
YaBB Newbies

Old dog always looking
for new tricks ;)

Re: Game collections
Reply #135 - 02/18/21 at 18:51:33
Post Tools
My "most" favourite were the Keres early/middle/later years set, in descriptive, but they were classic books and these were my first introduction to the game.

Some of the modern players sets' are quite good, of which I like three in particular of the ones I've read:

(1) "My Magic Years with Topalov" by Edouard, though my choice is heavily influenced by Topalov's uncompromising style 

(2) Gelfand's series of books which are almost the opposite extreme in style but nevertheless very, very interesting to play over slowly and repeatedly.

(3) Kamsky's two books are very good, written in a similar style to Keres, e.g. scene-setting then the emotions of the game as it happened as well as the analysis.

Just my tuppenceworth.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #134 - 09/20/20 at 19:02:34
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 09/18/20 at 10:51:14:
... the book uses the old style Englisch notation so I can not read it.

I see this kind of thing quite often and it always makes me sad.

Up to you of course, but it's not that difficult to learn descriptive notation. And there are so many fabulous books in the old notation it's really worth putting in the effort.

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #133 - 09/18/20 at 10:51:14
Post Tools
Bad luck with Woods Zurich book. The book is unique author and is not a translation of any other books. But the book uses the old style Englisch notation so I can not read it. So I will only read the swedish book.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #132 - 09/11/20 at 12:19:03
Post Tools
It appers that I looked to hasty, one of the books turned out to be an e-book with the same cover as the one I own and the paper book had changed cover but same title. A swedish book shop has these english versions by Bronstein. The store also has Bronsteins book in german (Das Kandidatenturnier Zürich 1953).

* Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953. This first I got of my Zurich  books, bought at Chessstore duirng tournament. Now also exist as - E-bok. The none ebook had different cover than the one I own.
* World Chess Championship Candidates Tournament Zurich 1953

* I found The Chess Struggle in Practice, Lessons from the famous Zurich Candidates tournament 1953 as 2nd hand book at an other site.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #131 - 09/11/20 at 02:46:39
Post Tools
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Бронштейн,_Давид_Ионович

I tried the same. The link works fine in the previewer, but once posted the BBS software changes it so it no longer works.

Here's the correct link, but it's not legible.
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%88%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%B9%D...

https://graphemica.com/ш
https://graphemica.com/%D1%88

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #130 - 09/11/20 at 00:12:45
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 09/08/20 at 20:11:45:
I read through the blog article and only see four independent books in English. So I guess you are counting the two translations of Bronstein separately.

I count them separately; not in the sense that if you have one you would want the other; but in the sense that if you have neither then you would like to know which one, if either, you should prefer to get. I have the McKay edition (Freedman translator, Hochberg editor) and not the Dover. The McKay translation seems fine, although I can't say if it's better. But I always preferred the Dover bindings. The binding on my McKay from the 1978 printing is coming apart. I have much older Dover books which are still intact.

No doubt most here have a database with all these games. But for the rare bird who doesn't:
https://pgnmentor.com/events/Candidates1953.pgn
http://billwall.phpwebhosting.com/collections/Zurich_1953.pgn

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #129 - 09/10/20 at 23:24:04
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 09/10/20 at 19:25:43:
By the way are there any difference between Bronsteins different Zurich works? It looks like there are a least 3 different titles avalble of the same book. One example are "The Chess Struggle in Practice. Lessons from the famous Zurich Candidates tournament 1953" must be the same book as the other as well? In that case the book has at least 4 titles in english that are the same book.

The link given earlier by an ordinary chessplayer had quite a bit of information on the Bronstein translations: https://chessbookchats.blogspot.com/2016/01/neuhausan-zurich-1953-candidates.htm...
But it only mentions two versions in English: The McKay edition translated by Freedman and Hochberg is the one you just mentioned (The Chess Struggle in Practice), and the other is the Dover edition translated by Marfia. I dont know how you get to four.

The Dover edition is the only one I have on Zürich 1953, at least in English, and I still haven't read it. But online I found info on an abbreviated German edition of Bronstein's book that looked eerily familiar: Sternstunden des Schachs. Zürich 1953. Sportverlag, Berlin, 1983/1991. I had forgotten about it, but now I'm almost certain I owned that book at one point and got rid of it or put it in an attic when I bought the more complete Dover edition.

Wikipedia mentions three editions of Bronstein's Zürich book in Russian. The Marfia translation is from the 2nd edition (1960). Probably the Hochberg translation is too, but I don't know that.

Quote:
Международный турнир гроссмейстеров : Комментарии к партиям турнира претендентов на матч с чемпионом мира. Нейгаузен — Цюрих, 29 августа — 24 октября 1953 г. — Москва : Физкультура и спорт, 1956. — 436 с (2-е изд. 1960; 3-е изд. 1983)

Source: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Бронштейн,_Давид_Ионович

(that Wikipedia link doesn't seem to work. I have probably mixed two character sets in a way you're not supposed to in my striving to make it look correct here.)

bragesjo wrote on 09/10/20 at 19:59:51:
It has been a very long time since I read any Zurich book I got inspired now.  I will probely read the book I ordered and then browse throught the swedish book as well.

Inspired is good! I should get around to reading Bronstein's book myself; have had it on my shelf for more than 15 years.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #128 - 09/10/20 at 19:59:51
Post Tools
It has been a very long time since I read any Zurich book I got inspired now.  I will probely read the book I ordered and then browse throught the swedish book as well.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #127 - 09/10/20 at 19:25:43
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 09/10/20 at 01:49:57:
Thanks. I thought maybe there was a foreword explaining how the work was shared between the authors, but I guess that's more of a modern thing to do. Though the German-language book is quite specific on who did what, with Keres analyzing opening novelties while Euwe handled the rest of the game comments.

Actually there are are are theoretical overview the Swedish in the book far back in the book that I did not notice before. It is specified that Keres made that part alone. Maybee recycle it and translated into Swedish?

By the way I found a reprint of "World Championship Candidates' Tournament - Switzerland 1953" by Wood at a online shop so I ordred it to complete my collection.

By the way are there any difference between Bronsteins different Zurich works? It looks like there are a least 3 different titles avalble of the same book. One example are "The Chess Struggle in Practice. Lessons from the famous Zurich Candidates tournament 1953" must be the same book as the other as well? In that case the book has at least 4 titles in english that are the same book.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #126 - 09/10/20 at 01:49:57
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 09/09/20 at 14:01:13:
About Ståhlbergs book yes Keres is co author. Did not notice it before.

It is impossible to tell who wrote each comment.Ståhlberg probebly translated Keres words anyway to give the book the same word style.

Thanks. I thought maybe there was a foreword explaining how the work was shared between the authors, but I guess that's more of a modern thing to do. Though the German-language book is quite specific on who did what, with Keres analyzing opening novelties while Euwe handled the rest of the game comments.

bragesjo wrote on 09/09/20 at 14:01:13:
The book has few concrete lines and mostly verbal comments.

Not that surprising. It has roughly the same number of pages as the more well-known Zürich 1953 books even though it also covers the 1954 match. So something has to give.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #125 - 09/09/20 at 14:01:13
Post Tools
About Ståhlbergs book yes Keres is co author. Did not notice it before.

It is impossible to tell who wrote each comment.Ståhlberg probebly translated Keres words anyway to give the book the same word style. The book has few concrete lines and mostly verbal comments.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #124 - 09/08/20 at 23:01:08
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 09/08/20 at 20:48:26:
Quote:
Schach-Elite im Kampf
Bearbeitung der 210 Partien durch Max Euwe, mit Analysen der Neuerungen in den Eröffnungen von Paul Keres, mit Runden- und Rahmenberichten von Paul Lange.

Quote:
Världsschackturneringen Neuhausen-Zürich 1953
med kommentarer och analyser av Gideon Ståhlberg och Paul Keres

Another question is if Keres's contribution to both books is actually the same (except for translation, of course).

Good question. It's quite likely they are the same. And then the question arises whether Keres also contributed to the second part of the Swedish book - on Botvinnik vs Smyslov 1954 - or Ståhlberg wrote that part on his own. Maybe bragesjo can enlighten us on how much of the work was by Keres.

I also wondered why I didn't find any info on the Euwe book in Dutch when googling. It seems to be have been written in German. Or, if Euwe wrote in Dutch, his text was translated into German without being published in Dutch. Is there a Dutch edition of the book out there, perhaps one published later?

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #123 - 09/08/20 at 20:48:26
Post Tools
Quote:
Schach-Elite im Kampf
Bearbeitung der 210 Partien durch Max Euwe, mit Analysen der Neuerungen in den Eröffnungen von Paul Keres, mit Runden- und Rahmenberichten von Paul Lange.

Quote:
Världsschackturneringen Neuhausen-Zürich 1953
med kommentarer och analyser av Gideon Ståhlberg och Paul Keres

Another question is if Keres's contribution to both books is actually the same (except for translation, of course).

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #122 - 09/08/20 at 20:17:52
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 07/30/20 at 18:30:08:
To many posts to read but Zurich 53 books are a bit speical. There exist no less than 4 book about it. Bronsteins version, Najdorfs version, Euwes version and Ståhlbergs version. I have manage to get lucky to own a copy of each of them. However Euwes verson and Ståhlbergs verson are not in english, Ståhbergs are in swedish and Euves version in some other language. Bronsteins vesion is the most classical of the books.

How good is Ståhlberg's book? And is the bibliographical information I just posted correct; that it is co-authored with Keres and covers both Zürich 1953 and the 1954 World Championship match, presumably in one volume?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #121 - 09/08/20 at 20:11:45
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 09/08/20 at 15:46:03:
In fact at least 5 just in English. Who knows how many in other languages? Your observed Harding/Simpole appears to be a reprint of #2 in the below link. I don't think that counts as number 6.
https://chessbookchats.blogspot.com/2016/01/neuhausan-zurich-1953-candidates.htm...

I read through the blog article and only see four independent books in English. So I guess you are counting the two translations of Bronstein separately.

So in languages other than English (original) we apparently have:

Euwe (with Keres and Lange) (1954) - German
Najdorf (1954) - Spanish
Keres and Ståhlberg (1954) - Swedish
Bronstein (1956) - Russian

Any others?

Quote:
Schach-Elite im Kampf;
Turnierbuch über das Weltmeisterschafts-Kandidatenturnier, 1953, in Neuhausen am Rheinfall und Zürich;
Lange, Paul. , Keres, Paul 1916-1975., Euwe, Max 1901-
German
Zürich, Artemis [1954]
379 p.

Source: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/002192759

Quote:
Världsschackturneringen Neuhausen-Zürich 1953 ; Världsmästarmatchen Moskva 1954 : Turneringsbok / utg. av Sveriges schackförbund ; med kommentarer och analyser av Gideon Ståhlberg och Paul Keres
    Keres, Paul, 1916-1975 (kommentator)
    Ståhlberg, Gideon, 1908-1967 (kommentator)
[Stockholm] : Sveriges schackförb., 1954
Svenska 351 s.

Source: http://libris.kb.se/bib/1468723
« Last Edit: 09/08/20 at 23:50:40 by Stigma »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo