Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Game collections (Read 64024 times)
Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Game collections
08/14/05 at 18:25:25
Post Tools
My favorite type of chess books are player's game collections (especially when they are written by the players themselves).   They are my favorite because studying a great player's games is one of the essential ways to improve but a great player game collection will also usually have some interesting chess history and biography in it.  They are a pleasure to read and as long as chess exists (real chess!) they will never go out of style.

What are your favorite game collections (on one player not tournament books or books like the Kasparov series)?   

Which players are in need of a great game collection?

I love the recent two volume set of Korchnoi's games by Edition Olms.   I'd feel foolish to even give specific praise.  It's Korchnoi!  They are a must!  Boris Gelfand just brought out a game collection and it looks quite good but perhaps particularly for stronger players.

Who needs one?  I wish Bent Larsen in his twilight years would write another one.  His only game collection came out in the 60's.  There was another book on his games by another player in the 80s (I can't recall who even though I have this book and it is signed by Larsen himself!)  Also, has Robert Huebner ever written a book on his games.  I am not aware of one in English.  If memory serves, he was famous/infamous for his lengthy annotations in Informant so I'd love to see a book by him on his games.

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo