Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Game collections (Read 62040 times)
Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Game collections
Reply #30 - 08/17/05 at 20:35:01
Post Tools
Prince-Nez,

May your nose hairs grow ever longer!

Thanks, that's a great website.  The book runs only $24.95 for a hardback if they actually have any copies left!

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #29 - 08/17/05 at 19:48:34
Post Tools

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #28 - 08/17/05 at 19:23:56
Post Tools
Tops,

Tal-Botvinnik 1960 by Tal certainly ranks as one of the best chess books ever published.  But 500 Master Games of Chess by Tartakover has really aged badly.  While there are some really great games in that book, many of them are so full of tactical holes they wouldn't even make a good club magazine anymore.  And while Tartakover certainly created some state-of-the-art analysis for his day, it's greatest value for me has been to give to class D and E students to rip apart!  (I know, dissing a great book is impolite.  My mum's still mad at me for not sending birthday greetings to my younger sister in time.  She just turned 37.  Oops, another faux pas. Embarrassed )
Quote:
Wijk aan Zee Grandmaster Chess Tournament 1975 This one is also quite good, with annotations by Kavalek, Browne, Geller, Gligoric, Hort, Hubner, Langeweg, Portisch, Smejkal, Sosonko, Timman.

Now this is a book that sounds fantastic!  If you know of a way to get it here in the US, cue me in!

I'm always on the look out for great books!

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #27 - 08/17/05 at 18:30:36
Post Tools
Here are three more excellent game collections.

Tal vs Botvinnik World Championship 1960. This is a masterpiece, and the analysis and commentary is done by Tal himself.

Wijk aan Zee Grandmaster Chess Tournament 1975 This one is also quite good, with annotations by Kavalek, Browne, Geller, Gligoric, Hort, Hubner, Langeweg, Portisch, Smejkal, Sosonko, Timman.

500 Master Games of Chess by Dr. S. Tartakower and J. Du Mont. A very nice collection of annotated games sorted into Open Games, Semi Open Games and Closed Games. You will find some entertaining oldie goldies and perhaps some old wine you can put in a new bottle as well.

Toppylov Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #26 - 08/17/05 at 03:58:18
Post Tools
Quote:
Nobody has menstioned that lovely little book, Learn from your mistakes by Karpov. It's a good book.

What's good about that one?? What I recall of it, there's a very quick look at Karpov's loss and then lots of comments on the next game he won against the same opponent.

Typical for Karpov's annotations were that when he lost, his opponent played some bad moves, while when Karpov wins his opponents play perfectly...

Tartakower's My Best Games of Chess 1905-1954 should be a given. The dude played almost every opening there is and quite well too!

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #25 - 08/17/05 at 01:56:43
Post Tools
Alekhine's game collection edited by Joh Nunn is good. He highlights all the bottlenecks of Alekhine's annotation. He highlighed one aspect which I concur. His annotations seem to say, "Hey, I won this game, which means opponent had no chance.

Another factor is he enumerates all the strategic ideas of the game in one move, giving an impression he thougth about all these in the move in question. Smiley

CastleRock

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #24 - 08/16/05 at 17:18:02
Post Tools
Quote:
He certainly does.  His annotations are quite snotty toward Capablanca, for instance. 

Well...... cant blame him in a way. Those 2 are sworn enemies both on & off the board. Tongue Just that its SAD that he has to reflect his resentment in his annotations as well. Very immature & unbecoming of any person esp a world champ.  Angry

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #23 - 08/15/05 at 22:43:10
Post Tools
I fully agree with TopNotch, that Lutikov and Juchtman (how do Americans pronounce Yukhtman ?) deserve a game collection. The first one beat Kortsjnoj in Leningrad 1951 and the second Tal in Tbilisi 1959. The openings they used, belong to TopNotch's favourites  Grin

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

bravehoptoad

Chess nuts boasting in
an open foyer

Reply #22 - 08/15/05 at 22:02:28
Post Tools
Quote:
But Alekhine does not trouble us in his annotations, which is the whole point.  If someone wants us to read his annotated games, he should write well, and write truly about chess.  

He certainly does.  His annotations are quite snotty toward Capablanca, for instance. 

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #21 - 08/15/05 at 21:31:21
Post Tools
TN,

You're right, Lutikov's games would be interesting. (Just the games against Tal alone are fascinating)  How about a collection of Deep Fritz' best games, annotated by the great chip itself?   Wink  I am joking, but I know that it won't be long before someone at ChessBase comes up with the idea!

There was once an idea for a series of best games of anyone who broke 2700.  I think they published maybe two volumes before calling it quits.  I still would love to see such a series created.

BTW, the main reason I didn't include the Second Piatgorsky Cup among the great tournament books was the packaging.  It's little more than a pamphlet and will fall apart if I go through it one more time.  It is a classic because of the commentaries by the participants.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #20 - 08/15/05 at 20:21:29
Post Tools
I'd love to see a collection of Duncan Suttles's games.

One often overlooked but fantastic games collection is Grigory Sanakoev's World Champion at the Third Attempt.  Sanakoev was a correspondence world champion, and his book is full of fighting chess and lots of excellent analysis...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #19 - 08/15/05 at 19:31:41
Post Tools
Quote:
It is amazing how my thread got hi-jacked with all this tournament book discussion.  Grin  Grin

To get back on track,  Jacob Yukhtman could do with a game collection. A truly remarkable player.

No doubt most of you are going Jacob who? another little known player worthy of a game collection is Anatoly Lutikov.

Toppylov Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

rooked98
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #18 - 08/15/05 at 16:29:25
Post Tools
"My Best Games of Chess, 1908-1937 by Alekhine"

Alekhine doctored games in his book either they didn't happen like  Alekhine-Tenner 1907, he changes the move order or the endings aren't what was really played by his opponent!

IP Logged

rooked98
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #17 - 08/15/05 at 16:06:22
Post Tools
"What are your favorite game collections (on one player not tournament books or books like the Kasparov series)

These are my favorite ones:

Karpov's Best Games,Bobby Fischer: My 60 Memorable Games, My Chess Career by Jose Capablanca, Kasparov Greatest Chess Games but my favorite out of all of my books is Paul Keres: Road to The top this is a very very good book with excellent annotation!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #16 - 08/15/05 at 13:22:29
Post Tools
Quote:

This comment is a complete non sequitur.  Korchnoi was not criticised for his play, but for his unpleasant, uninformative writing.

I didn't mean for that line to be taken seriously.  That is why I included the  Grin  which you left out in your quote from my post.   I was trying to tease Smyslov_Fan gently.  For the record, I don't think Smyslov is anything other then a great player whose games we can all profit from.

I have never studied Alekhine's games/annotations in great depth.  From what I do know of them they were at times (at least) rather pompous and self-serving.  Still, I feel even stronger about his contribution to chess then I do about Smyslov's.

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo