Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Game collections (Read 100014 times)
Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Game collections
Reply #36 - 10/20/05 at 17:10:16
Post Tools
John,

I think the series of game collections you're talking about are by Cadogan Press.  They include two excellent game collections that I use and would recommend to anyone striving to become a serious tournament player:

Taimanov's Selected Games &
The Application of Chess Theory by Yefim Geller

There's another, that I don't have called Grandmaster Preparation (I think) by Lev Polugaevsky that many rave about. 

Nevertheless, Taimanov's book is truly a fantastic educational tool.  Geller's writing is a bit more convoluted, but then so is his chess style.  He also has a bigger ego than Taimanov, which shows up in his organization of the book into openings, and then games in which he beat (or drew in the case of Tal) world champions.

Still, the notes and stories in both books make them extraordinary.  I rank them among my most favorite chess books!  I hope you can check these out.

IP Logged

John Simmons

Reply #35 - 10/20/05 at 10:43:09
Post Tools
alumbrado has made me quite happy cos I found a nice hardback version of Speelman's book, after looking for sometime. By personal favs are Botvinniks's three volumne set, nice explanations with less known training games too, and the two volumne Petrosian game collection. This one gives un-updated analysis, which probably has big holes if Fritz where let loose on it, but gives a nice feel for the times.
                    Currently looking through one of the Smyslov set, from same house as the Botvinnik one above. Like Karpov, tends to analysis like defeat is inevitable for his opponent, but really like his games at the moment. Of the many Karpov collections like "chess at the top" best. Kasparov's books on two matches against Karpov are great, but the analysis spiralls out of control in some games.
                 I found Timman's book on Curacao 1962 very disappointing. He seems much more interested in the politics of the event, than looking at the games.

Bye John S

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #34 - 10/20/05 at 09:39:37
Post Tools
The first game collection i read as a junior was Anatoly Karpov's Best Games on Batsford (the one with the VERY SCARY VAMPIRIC RED FACE  Shocked )

It isn't especially good, but the games made a huge impression on me at the time.

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 10/19/05 at 10:15:55
Post Tools
The collections i own of players is only 3. Life and Games of Mikhail Tal being my favorite for a lot fo reasons. Tal was one of the best chess writers even by todays standars. The games are fun to go over and the stories are jsut as fun to read. I will often read just the stuff before or after a game just to learn more about his history and skip over the games to a later point.

I have Botviniks 100 selected games which i pretty good. A lot of the openings he employs in it i wouldnt go near but its good for improiving your chess and i actually purchased it for only 8$ US. This was awesome to me as i think it is worth much more than that.

Then i have Sid Packards: The collected games of Willhelm Steinitz. Steinitz was my first inspiration in chess. And his game collection even thoush short on the annotations is extremely rewarding. Some 200 and somthing games are annotated by the man himself.

I also have a copy of the modern chess instructor which is of couurse a very old opening reference by the first world champion but it is a very interesting book in a historical perspective.

But tournament collections are probley my favorite. I have Zurich 53 and AVRO which was a very very strong tournament. If they put out a book on the latest fide tournement i would be sure to buy that as well. The chess played there was not bland by any means. Topalov did an amazing job and i have to give  shout out to Morozevich who is a personal hero of mine as his play is highly original he didnt continue his hot streak but he played well beating and drawing the strongest players there. Leko,Anand,Topalov. Thats impressive.

A collection i want to get though is Alekhines games. He was one of the most agressive players of all time. In many ways he was the precursor to Tal, and Kasparov.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #32 - 08/18/05 at 03:48:28
Post Tools
If you can get hold of a copy of Jon Speelman's Best Chess Games 1970-1980 for less than the £60 ($110/€90) it is currently being advertised for at amazon.co.uk, I would go with that as the finest annotated collection of games I have ever seen (it is other people's games rather than his own, although I think he sneaks one of hs own in at some point!).

Hübner's 25 Selected Games contains the most incredible in-depth annotations (of his own games) and is a thing of beauty in terms of the production as well (unlike the Speelman book, my copy of which has disintegrated  Sad ).  It may 'only' be 25 games but the annotations will keep you going for - literally - months, if not years.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #31 - 08/17/05 at 20:57:22
Post Tools
Quote:
Prince-Nez,

May your nose hairs grow ever longer!

Thanks, that's a great website.  The book runs only $24.95 for a hardback if they actually have any copies left!

Thanks, but they are long enough already.  Grin

I am guessing he does because he also has a copy up at ebay right now.  However, it is for a "buy it now" price that is even higher.  

Labate was supposed to get all of Chess Digest's old inventory.  However, I think the deal fell through before completion.  He does have a good bit of it though.  A lot of old but still brand new books.  Most of them are crappy opening pamphlets but there is a good bit of quality too.

I am happy to have been of service to you.

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #30 - 08/17/05 at 20:35:01
Post Tools
Prince-Nez,

May your nose hairs grow ever longer!

Thanks, that's a great website.  The book runs only $24.95 for a hardback if they actually have any copies left!

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #29 - 08/17/05 at 19:48:34
Post Tools

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #28 - 08/17/05 at 19:23:56
Post Tools
Tops,

Tal-Botvinnik 1960 by Tal certainly ranks as one of the best chess books ever published.  But 500 Master Games of Chess by Tartakover has really aged badly.  While there are some really great games in that book, many of them are so full of tactical holes they wouldn't even make a good club magazine anymore.  And while Tartakover certainly created some state-of-the-art analysis for his day, it's greatest value for me has been to give to class D and E students to rip apart!  (I know, dissing a great book is impolite.  My mum's still mad at me for not sending birthday greetings to my younger sister in time.  She just turned 37.  Oops, another faux pas. Embarrassed )
Quote:
Wijk aan Zee Grandmaster Chess Tournament 1975 This one is also quite good, with annotations by Kavalek, Browne, Geller, Gligoric, Hort, Hubner, Langeweg, Portisch, Smejkal, Sosonko, Timman.

Now this is a book that sounds fantastic!  If you know of a way to get it here in the US, cue me in!

I'm always on the look out for great books!

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #27 - 08/17/05 at 18:30:36
Post Tools
Here are three more excellent game collections.

Tal vs Botvinnik World Championship 1960. This is a masterpiece, and the analysis and commentary is done by Tal himself.

Wijk aan Zee Grandmaster Chess Tournament 1975 This one is also quite good, with annotations by Kavalek, Browne, Geller, Gligoric, Hort, Hubner, Langeweg, Portisch, Smejkal, Sosonko, Timman.

500 Master Games of Chess by Dr. S. Tartakower and J. Du Mont. A very nice collection of annotated games sorted into Open Games, Semi Open Games and Closed Games. You will find some entertaining oldie goldies and perhaps some old wine you can put in a new bottle as well.

Toppylov Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #26 - 08/17/05 at 03:58:18
Post Tools
Quote:
Nobody has menstioned that lovely little book, Learn from your mistakes by Karpov. It's a good book.

What's good about that one?? What I recall of it, there's a very quick look at Karpov's loss and then lots of comments on the next game he won against the same opponent.

Typical for Karpov's annotations were that when he lost, his opponent played some bad moves, while when Karpov wins his opponents play perfectly...

Tartakower's My Best Games of Chess 1905-1954 should be a given. The dude played almost every opening there is and quite well too!

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #25 - 08/17/05 at 01:56:43
Post Tools
Alekhine's game collection edited by Joh Nunn is good. He highlights all the bottlenecks of Alekhine's annotation. He highlighed one aspect which I concur. His annotations seem to say, "Hey, I won this game, which means opponent had no chance.

Another factor is he enumerates all the strategic ideas of the game in one move, giving an impression he thougth about all these in the move in question. Smiley

CastleRock

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #24 - 08/16/05 at 17:18:02
Post Tools
Quote:
He certainly does.  His annotations are quite snotty toward Capablanca, for instance. 

Well...... cant blame him in a way. Those 2 are sworn enemies both on & off the board. Tongue Just that its SAD that he has to reflect his resentment in his annotations as well. Very immature & unbecoming of any person esp a world champ.  Angry

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #23 - 08/15/05 at 22:43:10
Post Tools
I fully agree with TopNotch, that Lutikov and Juchtman (how do Americans pronounce Yukhtman ?) deserve a game collection. The first one beat Kortsjnoj in Leningrad 1951 and the second Tal in Tbilisi 1959. The openings they used, belong to TopNotch's favourites  Grin

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

bravehoptoad

Chess nuts boasting in
an open foyer

Reply #22 - 08/15/05 at 22:02:28
Post Tools
Quote:
But Alekhine does not trouble us in his annotations, which is the whole point.  If someone wants us to read his annotated games, he should write well, and write truly about chess.  

He certainly does.  His annotations are quite snotty toward Capablanca, for instance. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo