Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Game collections (Read 99599 times)
woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Re: Game collections
Reply #51 - 10/28/05 at 11:50:28
Post Tools
How about Blackburne, Zukertort, Andersson & Marshall?

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #50 - 10/28/05 at 06:51:28
Post Tools
Quote:
You forgot my favourite and also Nimzovitsj and Euwe.

Your hero is present, with a wrong spelling. Wink

But the guy I'm getting to acquaint deeply, these days is missing - Gligoric.

CastleRock

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #49 - 10/27/05 at 21:26:48
Post Tools
You forgot my favourite and also Nimzovitsj and Euwe.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 10/27/05 at 07:55:58
Post Tools
I was thinking about the focus on player game collections and thought some good ones depending on your style might be collection of:

Keres
Fischer
Botvinik
Tal
Capablanca
Shirov
Kasparov
Karpov
Bronstein
Steinitz
Alekhine
Speelman
Pillsbury
Tchigorin
Morphy
Smyslov
The list goes on im sure i jsut cant think of any more at the moment. But these are all available. And are probley worth their weight in gold.

IP Logged

John Simmons

Reply #47 - 10/26/05 at 07:51:25
Post Tools
Hello,

Both Nunn's books on his games are very good, nice blend of analysis and general explanation.  The earlier one was written jointly with someone, and there was more of a deliberate attempt of teaching principles.  Later one more of a straight analysis of games. Think he has another one coming out soon, from Gambit?
         When browsed Flear's book, it was a fairly superficial look at games of the top players, from 1994 or so.

Bye John S

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #46 - 10/26/05 at 01:10:36
Post Tools
I have Grandmaster Chess by Flear, and it just gathers dust.  Nunn's Secrets of Grandmaster Play is a much better buy.  I don't reall know why there's such a difference in the quality of analysis, but there you have it.

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #45 - 10/25/05 at 23:17:12
Post Tools
Any one has Grand Master Chess by John Nunn? I think this book traces his progress from very young age. I would like to know your views

CastleRock

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #44 - 10/25/05 at 21:29:04
Post Tools
I know Keene's annotations of Nimzovitsj-Spielmann, Carlsbad 1929 and they are excellent, indeed even better than Nimzo's own annotations.
If this is the average level, Keene's book on Nimzovitsj might be the best book he has ever written - it dates from 1974.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #43 - 10/23/05 at 07:07:40
Post Tools
I'll have to take a look at Raymond Keene's book on Nimzovich.  Once upon a time, he did write relatively well.  Then he learned that he could crank out absolute rubbish and still have people buy his books.  Such a shame.

IP Logged

fightingbob
YaBB Newbies

Reply #42 - 10/22/05 at 11:24:38
Post Tools
I know Raymond Keene doesn't have much of a reputation as a writer, but his Aron Nimzovich: A Reappraisal is an exception in my opinion.  It is easier to pick up Nimzovich's ideas than from Chess Praxis.  Edward Winter questions some of the historical information in the book, but for most this is a small quibble.  I also think Tarrasch's game collection is an alltime great.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #41 - 10/21/05 at 23:33:11
Post Tools
I like Dynamic Chess Strategy by Suba too, but I don't keep going back to it the way I do for most of the game collections already mentioned.  So I have to go with the game collections over Suba's excellent and thoughtful challenge to orthodoxy.

IP Logged

elspringer

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #40 - 10/21/05 at 09:28:23
Post Tools
Not really a game collection (although...), but the best chess book ever (imho) is Dynamic Chess Strategy by Suba....

IP Logged

Longspur
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #39 - 10/21/05 at 06:24:57
Post Tools
Just 'cause no one has mentioned it yet:

"The Sorcerer's Apprentice," by David Bronstein and Tom Furstenberg, Everyman Chess.  Has 222 games played between 1938 and 1995 -- 57 years!

Should note that the authors say the book was written primarily for amateurs.  The games are a delight.

Two Dover books (Dover has nice books that are not very expensive):

"The Immortal Games of Capablanca," by Fred Reinfeld,

and

"How Karpov Wins," by Edmar Mednis.

Note:  Both these Dover books are in Descriptive notation.

IP Logged

John Simmons

Reply #38 - 10/21/05 at 05:30:53
Post Tools
Hello Symslov_Fan,

I have the two books you mention. The Taimanov one is particularly good for looking at NimzoIndian games. I used to really like the Geller book, but went off it because the analysis/comments struck me as a bit dishonest, if you compare same game(s) with Fischer's book for example.
     The Botvinnik/Symslov series are from Moravian chess. The books are quite expensive, maybe $35 each, but contain every game, from previous books by these players, the old Dover ones for example, plus extras. (For example, you can see the semko game, you were talking about in another thread). They are translations of russian books from the 80's. The symslov one is here 
http://moravian-chess.cz/katalog.php?idkat=24 if interested, not sure how easy to get in the US.

@woofwoof  I tend to agree with you, but some people are not impressed with the quality of analysis in these books. The comments/analysis are not all from Petrosian but were collected from old Soviet sources. Match books of Spassky v Petrosian for example.

Bye John S

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #37 - 10/20/05 at 20:02:49
Post Tools
Quote:
  This one gives un-updated analysis, which probably has big holes if Fritz where let loose on it, but gives a nice feel for the times.

In modern times where computers are such a big part the lives of chess players (GM's & patzers alike) it is quite normal that all game collections today will be subjected to the engine by the author himself before going to print. But if we are talking about the old books which came abt when computers never existed & every player studied from books.... the original analysis should be left alone if they are going into reprint. Especially so for personal game collections. The original analysis represent the author's thought process during the game so there is a certain feeling & emotion being conveyed to the readers. But if those are improved upon by the silicone monster, that feeling & match atmosphere isnt conveyed anymore, but a cold book of analysis. That is why i prefer the chess books of old & not the modern day ones (even if there are some mistakes here & there) But hey! lets face it....For most of us patzers anyway, we wouldnt be able to tell the difference if a mistake had been made unless it was a glaringly obvious blunder right?

As I've mentioned in another thread....improving upon analysis & attributing it to the original author is also very disrespectful to the author.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo