Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Game collections (Read 100174 times)
slates
God Member

Re: Game collections
Reply #81 - 06/25/08 at 18:44:11
Post Tools
Just wondering if anyone here has read Karpov's My Best Games, the OLMS Progress in Chess edition?  I'm thinking about ordering this but can't find much info on it, i.e. I'd like to know how many Caro Kanns are in the book, for instance, as I have recently started playing the CK.  

In my copy of Volume 5 of Kasparov's My Great Predecessors, the Korchnoi/Karpov one,  I note that it only has two(!) CKs by Karpov.

Perhaps I should be buying Dreev's collection instead, at least for Caro Kanns, but any general comments on the Karpov book would be welcomed anyway.  Thanks

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #80 - 06/21/08 at 07:52:16
Post Tools
For english speaking readers I think MY 60 MG leads as the book is written in natural idiomatic English, some of the Russian classics just surely lose something in translation e.g. I often see someting like "White smokes out Black's bishop" and I am not 100% sure what that means and I think it was clearer in the original Russian.
I think Larsen's English is very good and that makes his Selected Games a very good read.
I would also mention Larsen's Good Move Guide and His book on the 78 Karpov v Korchnoi match.

I also like those game colectins with a clear historical narrative with not too many games . Timman Art of Chess Analysis
springs to mind.
On the other hand sometimes these quirky Russian Idioms are part of the apppeal.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #79 - 06/16/08 at 21:30:26
Post Tools
The best games collections tend to be the autobiographical ones, but sometimes another author does a player justice.  My top ten:

1. Alekhine's My Best Games 
2. Fischer's 60 Memorable
3. Botvinnik's three volume set
4. Shirov's Fire on Board
5. Tal's Life and Games
6. Sanakoev's World Champion at the Third Attempt
7. Kasparov's Test of Time
8. Soltis's book on Marshall
9. Nunn's My Best Games
10. Taimanov's Selected Games

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #78 - 06/16/08 at 21:12:09
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/16/08 at 14:28:53:
@Paddy
Actually, of Tal's books I have only read/browsed "Life and Games" and "Attack with Mikhail Tal", but I thought in the spirit of objectivity and realism a book with both wins and losses should be preferred.

I didn't specify which translation I would read either, but admittedly an english one looks most likely. Wink

Cheers Stigma.  Wink

I'd also add Geller's collection to my second category; a very important player in the development of modern chess.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #77 - 06/16/08 at 14:28:53
Post Tools
@Paddy
Actually, of Tal's books I have only read/browsed "Life and Games" and "Attack with Mikhail Tal", but I thought in the spirit of objectivity and realism a book with both wins and losses should be preferred.

I didn't specify which translation I would read either, but admittedly an english one looks most likely. Wink

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #76 - 06/16/08 at 13:55:24
Post Tools
FischerTal wrote on 06/15/08 at 21:51:34:
great answer Stigma, Tal v Bot 1960 definitely has that fresh feel to it.
and the others you mention

Piatgorsky cup 1966 is good with notes from both players (apart from BF)

an interesting one is mednis how to beat a stronger player where he annotates every game lost by a soviet gm inthe mid 70s - you see how real gm games are won and lost rather than just the highlights

Funny how we keep going round in circles in many of our book threads here.  I can understand why English edition of Tal-Botvinnik 1960 is on many people's lists but not why it is so high up, since it reads so weird in places and contains outright errors, as I pointed out in  another thread:

Paddy wrote on 03/28/08 at 10:44:06:
I have now had the opportunity to spend some time looking at the “revised and expanded” 5th edition of Tal-Botvinnik 1960, “edited” by Taylor Kingston.

Compared with the fourth edition, some errors have been corrected, such as incorrectly spelt names (e.g. Liliental-Lilienthal, Flor Flohr, Porreka-Porreca, Lipitsky-Lipnitsky, Fogelman-Foguelman), but not all (e.g. Gligorich, which is phonetically accurate but normally spelt without the h).

There are still some small “technical” errors which one would have expected to have been weeded out by the 5th edition, e.g. page 61, note to Black’s 9th move, 9…Qb6: “Black immediately begins to take action against the d5 square.” Of course, this should be d4, not d5.

There are also still some obscure or meaningless sentences, e.g. page 18: “Capablanca’s “lighter” system and other orthodox defenses seem to have been forgotten in the archives of history.” Did you understand that? My guess is that the reference is to Capablanca’s once famous “simplifying manoeuvre” (…dxc4, …Nd5) in the orthodox Queen’s Gambit.

I checked the relevant pages against the list of errors pointed out by Dr Neat in New in Chess magazine 1997/7 and found that most of them have still not been corrected.

I should be less concerned if all the errors in the book were small and did not spoil the sense. But how about these:

On page 19 there is a serious error: referring to the Modern Benoni, Russell’s version reads:

“Aron Nimzowitsch was the first to use it in a game with Frank Marshall in the New York International Tournament of 1927. Marshall immediately transferred his knight to c4, and the instant Black hesitated (…) he was smothered in a few moves.” In fact, in the game referred to here, Nimzowitsch was White and Marshall Black! This is a famous game, and reversing the names of the players is arguably evidence of a deficiency in chess culture as well as in Russian grammar.

On page 58; “There is a curious story behind the King’s Indian Defence. It got recognition 20 years ago. Before that it was rarely, or as they say, spontaneously employed. In particular, Chigorin would never have selected such a system.” The last sentence should read something like: “In particular, such a set-up was chosen long ago by Chigorin.”

On page 59: (Discussing the history of the g3 system against the King’s Indian): “Black’s difficulties in this variation arose when he started searching for more active continuations…” This should read rather: ““Black’s difficulties in this variation prompted him to start searching for more active continuations…”

On page 59: Discussing the Petrosian system against the King’s Indian (usually reached by 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 g6 3 Nc3 Bg7 4 e4 d6 5 Nf3 0-0 6 Be2 e5 7 d5) “The talented Ukrainian master Leonid Stein has had the last word for Black in this variation in which he played h6 in answer to Bg5 and nipped White’s idea in the bud, of course at the cost of a tempo.” It should be obvious that “In answer to Bg5” is an incorrect translation; it should say “before Bg5” or “to prevent Bg5”. (Remember, these are just examples, and this is supposed to be the 5th revised edition!)

There is no doubt that, even with the errors and ambiguities, there is much to enjoy and learn from this book, but it could have been so, so, much better.

To be fair, I should add that the chess world should also be very grateful to Hanon Russell for the huge amount of high-quality (and free!) content at the Chess Café website, and for the many really excellent books that his company has published in recent years - but unfortunately, even in its "5th edition",  "Tal-Botvinnik 1960" isn't one of them. [/quote]

My own favourite self-annotated game collections:
Tartakower
Bronstein
Keres
Larsen

Collections I admire greatly and appreciate for their instructional value but don't love to the same extent as the above: Botvinnik, Smyslov, Boleslavsky.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #75 - 06/16/08 at 13:44:16
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 06/16/08 at 08:02:16:
Yermolinsky made quite a few references to what his opponents didn't see which makes his own disclosures feel much less authentic.

Why less authentic? In a hard-fought game usually both players make mistakes. We couldn't really expect Yermo to choose only games where his opponents played their very best chess, and frankly that would paint a much less realistic picture of actual tournament practice for a US-based GM. "Learn from your mistakes" certainly, but also "Shave on someone else's face"!

Maybe I didn't understand your comment...

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #74 - 06/16/08 at 08:02:16
Post Tools
Stigma stole my thunder.

Great choice in selecting Tal's games.

Another, more recent selection is a protegee of Tal:  Alexei Shirov.  Kramnik's My Life and Games (note the similar title to Tal's autobiography) is also pretty candid about what he saw and didn't see.

Yermolinsky made quite a few references to what his opponents didn't see which makes his own disclosures feel much less authentic.

IP Logged

MarinFan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #73 - 06/16/08 at 07:42:11
Post Tools
Hello,

The book of the First Piatigorsky Cup has the same format as second. There are lots of cheap Dover editions available for the Second Cup. Even the orginal HB's for both aren't that more expensive than Harding Simpole edition.
              I browsed the Suttles books recently. The production values are not very high, if care about such things, and the annotations don't look that great either.

Bye John S

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #72 - 06/15/08 at 22:38:35
Post Tools
I just googled the "Second Piatigorsky Cup" book and found that Harding Simpole has re-released it (2004)! I will have to buy it eventually, the format sounds so interesting with comments from both players to compare. Has anyone else used this format, before or since?

Didn't know about that Mednis book, sounds interesting! A bit like "How to Beat Bobby Fischer" maybe?

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #71 - 06/15/08 at 21:51:34
Post Tools
great answer Stigma, Tal v Bot 1960 definitely has that fresh feel to it.
and the others you mention

Piatgorsky cup 1966 is good with notes from both players (apart from BF)

an interesting one is mednis how to beat a stronger player where he annotates every game lost by a soviet gm inthe mid 70s - you see how real gm games are won and lost rather than just the highlights

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #70 - 06/15/08 at 20:54:26
Post Tools
FischerTal wrote on 06/15/08 at 17:04:45:
I wonder - what player in their annotations gives you the best idea of how much they saw at the time they were playing the game.

An obvious suggestion is Mikhail Tal, who has been qouted to the effect that analysis within minutes at the board is not at all the same as days and months without time pressure. He was certainly a believer in setting the opponent great psychological and practical problems, and not afraid to admit that sometimes his sacrifices where not objectively correct. Rowson (quoting Utterburg I think) described Tal's psychological style as depriving the opponent of "responsibility" for the game by playing shocking moves and going down paths they had not foreseen.

"Later, ... I began to succeed in decisive games. Perhaps because I realised a very simple truth: not only was I worried, but also my opponent."
- Mikhail Tal

If your main concern is objectivity you should probably start with "Tal-Botvinnik 1960" which contains both wins, draws and losses from that epic match.

Also, some weaker GMs writing on the theme of chess improvement willingly use their own games, both good and not-so-good ones. Yermolinsky's "Road to Chess Improvement" is a prime example, as are Rowson's two books, though he also uses other players' games a lot.

Dvoretsky's books (alone or with Yusupov) are also full of good and bad decisions by himself or his students.

That's 5 names already, so I'm going to stop now!

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #69 - 06/15/08 at 17:04:45
Post Tools
I wonder - what player in their annotations gives you the best idea of how much they saw at the time they were playing the game.

Fischer gives some good things there like he reveals how he missed a defensive trick of Geller's till really late in the game (The Vleimirovic attack game )Also BF puts afew losses and draws in that Is good I think - Capablanca also put in his losses in Chess Fundamentals.

I am intersted to know just how much the players saw (and missed Tongue~) during the game

IP Logged

MagicTrick

Reply #68 - 06/15/08 at 15:11:35
Post Tools
FischerTal wrote on 06/15/08 at 13:32:40:
I just wish Kasparov would write a book of his best games - he has annotated some for NIC or CHessbase , I remember one excellent annotaation of a game in Panov Attack vs Annand which was possibly the best annotated game I ever saw .

What, you don't know that after Revolution in the 70s hes gonna wrote a book about all his games against Karpov, computers and a collection of his best games? These are probably the most eagerly awaited chess books around! Cool

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #67 - 06/15/08 at 13:32:40
Post Tools
Back when I was 1650 or so I used to really like Marshall's collected games - hisopponents used to make the same opening mistakes mine did.

Fischers 60 memorable of course-if only for some of the comments though the games in How to beat Bobby Fischer are interesting and well annotated.

Bent Larsen is good writere and Larsen's Selected games are well and revealingly nnotated.

Tal Life and Games is the perfect book for when youv'e blundered on the 40th move and feel like giving u Chess.

Botvinnik's 3 volume set are written very instructively.
or get Botty's 100 seleted games for less money.

I just wish Kasparov would write a book of his best games - he has annotated some for NIC or CHessbase , I remember one excellent annotaation of a game in Panov Attack vs Annand which was possibly the bestannotated game I ever saw .

Finally one of the books which really got me interested in chess was Chernev's 62 Most Instructive games of chess - I can see lots of techncal flaws now but his enthusiasm shone through the book.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo