Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) King's Indian books (Read 29236 times)
flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: King's Indian books
Reply #44 - 02/22/08 at 14:19:43
Post Tools
lnn2 wrote on 02/06/06 at 03:56:48:
i have Gallagher's Samisch, he covers everything for both colours, including Benoni, Panno, Byrne lines, and also 6. Bg5/6. Nge2.

Thanks mate I bought a second hand copy tonight. Gallagher writes really good chess books.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

Jormechea
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 02/07/08 at 14:08:01
Post Tools
Hi im new here but I am a loyal kings indian supporter. If I had the money I would have a lot more books on it but I do not. My favorite however is "Bronstein on the kings indian"

If you wish to learn the ideas and themes of the opening a long with going over the games that layed the foundation of the opening then I highly recomend it. Is it up on current theory? no. But it is a very good read. I first started playing the kings indian with out any book knowledge. Just the ideas I had found in Bronstein's games.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Gallagher's book "Play the King's Indian"
Reply #42 - 10/06/07 at 18:25:34
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 10/01/07 at 16:09:01:
LeeRoth wrote on 07/03/07 at 03:12:03:
cma6 wrote on 07/03/07 at 01:43:54:
   I would appreciate it if someone who has the Gallagher book could
give an outline of the lines he covers, i.e., does  he cover any 9 Nd2 material not covered in Golubev or Nunn's "New KID"?

I have Gallagher's Play the King's Indian.  etc., etc..

Really I think that White can learn something from any repertoire book, which is what it recommends!  But I agree that White can learn a little extra something from Gallagher's book, which offers insights into both sides' ideas.  

Still, I wonder if I'm alone in finding his repeated, pointed dismissals of White's ideas to be rather obnoxious.  Perhaps no single one of them is obnoxious, but when it comes out on page after page, it's a little wearing.  Also rather suspicious, if I may say so.  Really if all of the opinions expressed by Gallagher in these pages were borne out, there would be little reason to play 1.d4, or to answer this sadly antiquated move with anything other than the KID.

The Book was intended as a Repertoire one for Black, written by a life long advocate of the opening, so why would you expect to find any inspiration for White there.

Why do you even have this book at all?

Toppy Smiley 

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #41 - 10/06/07 at 12:29:44
Post Tools
Doesn't all chess writing these days involve a bit of marketeering? Very few really write unobjective coverage for both Black and White.  To some extend they all attempt to pump up the intended audience. Afterall, to sell the book, you have to sell the opening and you have to sell your approach to the opening.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #40 - 10/06/07 at 11:40:52
Post Tools
Would characterise such as off-the-cuff attempts to enthuse advocates rather than intention to offend any lentils-chompers. Sure he has nothing against anyone in particular who plays the exchange variation.
Sure he just typed it out and didnt give it a second thought. Dont fret. He only takes a couple of weeks to write books so that would have been a coupla seconds.

Any experienced KID player worth his salt will have a massive record against the exchange. Is the case in my experience, as despite many years of warning to the contrary in oodles of books, weaker players STILL play it looking for the all-elusive half. No IMs GMs ever played it against me, indeed only one person above 2200. Also in d4 d6 c4 e5 de (?!).
Is actually quite difficult for white to play, though Grivas explains well. Could be another Grivasly named Grivas variation perhaps. Any Greeks on your mother's side Lev?

Anyone for some vegetarian cuisine btw? Good tofu this part of the world.

Exi - yes , a worthy Kazim KID DVD. I concur.
Golubev also good as Geof notes
Plus: get Gufeld book. Inspiring stuff.

Geof - thanks for notes on Kalinin. have been pondering  that. May well buy now. Your notes always very helpful.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #39 - 10/06/07 at 10:00:43
Post Tools
It is common for advocates of "aggressive" openings to be also aggressive in making their claims and evaluations. You can find plenty of examples on this board!

Authors on the Petroff and Slav definitely seem less zealous in comparison Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #38 - 10/01/07 at 17:15:39
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 10/01/07 at 16:09:01:
give an outline of the lines he covers, i.e., does  he cover any 9 Nd2 material not covered in Golubev or Nunn's "New KID"?

I have Gallagher's Play the King's Indian.  etc., etc..

Really I think that White can learn something from any repertoire book, which is what it recommends!  But I agree that White can learn a little extra something from Gallagher's book, which offers insights into both sides' ideas.  

Still, I wonder if I'm alone in finding his repeated, pointed dismissals of White's ideas to be rather obnoxious.  Perhaps no single one of them is obnoxious, but when it comes out on page after page, it's a little wearing.  Also rather suspicious, if I may say so.  Really if all of the opinions expressed by Gallagher in these pages were borne out, there would be little reason to play 1.d4, or to answer this sadly antiquated move with anything other than the KID.

I'm with you. It's truly wearing. I think the opening is better than its reputation but not as good as Gallagher claims. You didn't want to single out one obnoxious comment, but his ranting of exchange variation wimps is too much for me.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #37 - 10/01/07 at 16:09:01
Post Tools
give an outline of the lines he covers, i.e., does  he cover any 9 Nd2 material not covered in Golubev or Nunn's "New KID"?

I have Gallagher's Play the King's Indian.  etc., etc..

Really I think that White can learn something from any repertoire book, which is what it recommends!  But I agree that White can learn a little extra something from Gallagher's book, which offers insights into both sides' ideas. 

Still, I wonder if I'm alone in finding his repeated, pointed dismissals of White's ideas to be rather obnoxious.  Perhaps no single one of them is obnoxious, but when it comes out on page after page, it's a little wearing.  Also rather suspicious, if I may say so.  Really if all of the opinions expressed by Gallagher in these pages were borne out, there would be little reason to play 1.d4, or to answer this sadly antiquated move with anything other than the KID.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

cma6

Reply #36 - 10/01/07 at 15:11:09
Post Tools
exigentsky wrote on 10/01/07 at 07:22:57:
I don't know about books, but Rustam's A World Champion's Guide to the King's Indian is quite nice and instructive.

Exigentsky: thanks for the reference. How much does the DVD have on the 9 Nd2 line?
                                    CMA

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #35 - 10/01/07 at 07:22:57
Post Tools
I don't know about books, but Rustam's A World Champion's Guide to the King's Indian is quite nice and instructive.

IP Logged

cma6

Gallagher's book "Play the King's Indian"
Reply #34 - 07/03/07 at 13:55:05
Post Tools
give an outline of the lines he covers, i.e., does  he cover any 9 Nd2 material not covered in Golubev or Nunn's "New KID"?

I have Gallagher's Play the King's Indian.  It's a great book, but its a repertoire book for Black.  If you're looking for more balanced coverage, you might be happier with Gallagher's earlier Starting Out Guide, which is meant to be more objective, albeit more basic.   

Nevertheless, even though Play the King's Indian is a Black repertoire book, I still think that White can learn something.  For example, I found Gallagher's explanation of each side's plans in the Nd2 variation to be very helpful.  Basically, he feels that White's Q-side attack is too quick to be ignored and cites Beliavsky-Solak, St Vincent 2000 as an example of what can befall Black if he's not careful. 

Gallagher thinks Black has to take some sort of preventative action on the Q-side, but he doesn't like 9..c5, which gives White a target on the Q-side and a chance to develop an initiative with Rb1 annd b4. The repertoire is therefore based on 9..a5.

After 9..a5, he gives 10.a3 Nd7 (he doesn't cover 10..Bd7 and refers the interested reader to the Starting Out book for coverage) 11.Rb1 f5 12.b4 Kh8 (he explains why this has become the main move, displacing 12..f4 and 12..Nf6) and now he covers 13.Qc2 through the game Lputian-Dolmatov, Rostov 1993 and 13.f3 through Ljubojevic-Kasparov, Linares 1993.

I don't have the Starting Out book, so I can't compare, but even for the player of the White pieces, Play the King's Indian is well worth getting. LeeRoth

Thanks, Lee, this was extremely useful.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #33 - 07/03/07 at 03:12:03
Post Tools

I have Gallagher's Play the King's Indian.  It's a great book, but its a repertoire book for Black.  If you're looking for more balanced coverage, you might be happier with Gallagher's earlier Starting Out Guide, which is meant to be more objective, albeit more basic.    

Nevertheless, even though Play the King's Indian is a Black repertoire book, I still think that White can learn something.  For example, I found Gallagher's explanation of each side's plans in the Nd2 variation to be very helpful.  Basically, he feels that White's Q-side attack is too quick to be ignored and cites Beliavsky-Solak, St Vincent 2000 as an example of what can befall Black if he's not careful.  

Gallagher thinks Black has to take some sort of preventative action on the Q-side, but he doesn't like 9..c5, which gives White a target on the Q-side and a chance to develop an initiative with Rb1 annd b4. The repertoire is therefore based on 9..a5.

After 9..a5, he gives 10.a3 Nd7 (he doesn't cover 10..Bd7 and refers the interested reader to the Starting Out book for coverage) 11.Rb1 f5 12.b4 Kh8 (he explains why this has become the main move, displacing 12..f4 and 12..Nf6) and now he covers 13.Qc2 through the game Lputian-Dolmatov, Rostov 1993 and 13.f3 through Ljubojevic-Kasparov, Linares 1993.

I don't have the Starting Out book, so I can't compare, but even for the player of the White pieces, Play the King's Indian is well worth getting.

LeeRoth

IP Logged

cma6

Gallagher's King's Indian books
Reply #32 - 07/03/07 at 01:47:16
Post Tools
Quote:
Thx to Alias for providing a link to an excerpt of the Gobulev book.
I did compare the contents to coverage of the Nd2 variation in
Starting Out The Kings Indian. My findings:
The coverage of ideas and typical manoevres is far better in SOTKI.
The Gobulev book has more games and detail, and is probably more
up to date.
But I am not sure that the detailed coverage outweights the clear explanations of Galagher for those who have a limited time to study variations and need a good compass in a pratical game. At least not till your rating is 2000+.

Even then you should do well to compare the Gobulev-book with Galaghers other book on the KI, which also provides more detailed variations but still retains a lot of practical advice.

Micawber, which of Gallagher's KID books would you recommend to someone who wants to play the 9 Nd2 line and who already has Golubev's book?
                                         Thanks, CMA

IP Logged

cma6

Gallagher's book "Play the King's Indian"
Reply #31 - 07/03/07 at 01:43:54
Post Tools
mlz3 wrote on 11/18/05 at 11:40:42:
Hello Photophore!

I have Gallagher's book "Play the King's Indian" and I love it! In this book, he actually recommends trying 14...a5!? rather than 14...Ng6 in response to the a4 advance. The game he cites appears below.

Koutsin,S (2455) - Frolov,A (2520) [E99]
Platonov mem Kiev (11), 1995

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7.0-0 Nc6 8.d5 Ne7 9.Ne1 Nd7 10.Be3 f5 11.f3 f4 12.Bf2 g5 13.a4 a5 14.Nd3 b6 15.b4 axb4 16.Nb5 Nf6 17.Be1 g4 18.Bxb4 g3 19.h3 Bxh3! 20.gxh3 Qd7 21.Qc2 Qxh3 22.Bd1 Ng6 23.Qg2 Qh6 24.Qh1 Nh4 25.Ne1 Nxe4! 26.Ng2 Rf5 27.fxe4 f3 28.Bxf3 Nxf3+ 29.Rxf3 Qxh1+ 30.Kxh1 Rxf3 31.Kg1 Rb3 32.Nxc7 Rf8 33.Be1 Bf6 34.Nb5 Be7 35.Ra3 Rxa3 36.Nxa3 Rf3 37.Nc2 Bg5 38.Bb4 h5 39.Nce1 Rf6 40.a5 bxa5 41.Bxa5 Rf2 42.Bc7 Be7 43.Ne3 Re2 44.N1g2 Ra2 45.c5 Ra1+ 46.Nf1 h4 47.Nxh4 Bxh4 48.Bxd6 Re1 49.c6 Rxe4 50.c7 Rc4 51.Bxe5 Kf7 52.Nxg3 Bxg3 ½-½

Cheers,
mlz3

Hi Mlz3:
  I'm refugee from White side of Bayonet Attack (I don't think White gets anything much.) I'm looking for good material on the Nd2 MDP line. I've just ordered Golubev's new book.
                              Thanks, CMA

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #30 - 03/04/07 at 13:09:14
Post Tools
I have two books by Gallagher and a very old book I browse through now and again:
Mastering the KI by Bellin/Ponzetto. Of course the variations are outdated by now, but their
positional explanations, still can give you inspiration.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo