Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C01: Exchange variation (Read 8175 times)
castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Re: Exchange variation
Reply #19 - 03/10/06 at 13:20:25
Post Tools
And go thro'the discussions here in Bionet attack in French Exchange thread.

CastleRock

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #18 - 03/10/06 at 12:30:21
Post Tools
Silva-Uhlmann Tel Aviv 1964

Most of Uhlmann's games in this variation would do. Smiley

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Spud(Guest)

Reply #17 - 03/10/06 at 12:12:02
Post Tools
Regarding the ...bd6, ...nc6, ...nge7, ...Qd7, and ...0-0-0 idea can anyone point me in the direction of some good model games please

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #16 - 03/07/06 at 12:30:53
Post Tools
"Play The Dragon.

Tops"

She lives next door but I definitely will not be playing her...

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #15 - 03/07/06 at 05:57:58
Post Tools
Against 4.Nc3, I often play c6.  I know that White has two tempi up in the resulting position, but I doubt he can use them effectively since he has relinqushed control of the light squares in the center.  Black should be able to play Bd6, Bg4, Ne7, Nd7 and perhaps even Qc7/b6 without worrying too much about what White will do.  Only then does Black usually have to decide which side to castle on.  I haven't faced 4.Nc3 against any strong players, and certainly not against a GM such as Tony Kosten.  However, my results from this position have been stellar.  I've struggled to create meaningful middlegame play, but the endgames seem to favor Black.  At least below master level.  (Again, I've never faced the line against a master except perhaps online.)

IP Logged

Darthmambo(Guest)

Reply #14 - 03/07/06 at 03:34:24
Post Tools
A question about the exchange winawer. Should black take the night right away before a3 is played to get the doubled pawns? I was wondering, if white gets to protect the night on c3, then kicks the bishop (I am sure its not good to give up the knight for the bishop), but then you drop the bishop back to that nice square on d6, then nb5 comes. How should that all be handled?

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #13 - 03/06/06 at 19:27:49
Post Tools
In response to Castelrock`s question; 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.exd exd 4.Nc3 and now why not 4...Nc6 and respond to 5.Nf3 with Bb5? The difference is that after 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.exd exd 4.Nc3 Bb4 white can go 5.Qf3 like Larsen did, recapturing with the queen if ever black goes ...Bxc3.   After 4.Bd3 black goes 4...Nb4 taking the important bishop.

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

jaxaxe
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #12 - 09/27/05 at 17:58:19
Post Tools
Quote:
4.Nc3 you can go ...Bb4 transposing to Winawer exchange, or play more quietly with a Knight on f6 and bishop on e7.

It amazes me how many low rated players on the internet play the exchange variation - I have some sympathy for the Winawer exchange line, but the standard exchange is not going anywhere - usually castling queenside followed by the good ol kingside attack does the trick. The 4.Nf3 move order as played by Kaspy is more tricky, but again 4..Bg4 or 4..Bd6 are good enough.

Being a former French addict, and a reasonably weak player as well, I can see one benefit of the Exchange Variation for white.

As a French player, it isn't too difficult to end up playing the same pawn structure as black against the Advance, the Tarrasch, the Winawer/Classical/McCutcheon if you really want to. Because of this, your pieces largely end up going to similar squares as well. There are some standard themes across all of these positions as well (c5 break, f6 break, "what the hell do I do about the bad bishop").

As white, if you are up against someone of this mindset, and I was one years ago, 3 exd5 busts the position open, and all of these "standard" plans and placements go out of the window. White plays the game more on his terms.

I'm not saying the Exchange is good here, merely that it has the potential to unsettle those who enjoy playing black from behind their pawn chain.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #11 - 08/26/05 at 19:42:25
Post Tools
Ya know, you don't even have to castle on different sides of the board to break the symmetry.  I think it was Korchnoi who proposed the following rule in the Exchange French.  If White develops his King's Knight to f3, you should develop yours to e7.  If White develops Ng-e2, then you should play Ngf6.  There's a great game, Tatai-Korchnoi, that shows Black absolutely blowing White away in the Exchange French.  Now White made several mistakes, but Korchnoi's play could well serve as a template for Black in the French Exchange.

IP Logged

bob000

Reply #10 - 08/26/05 at 18:46:24
Post Tools
Just a word of caution. NCO gives white an advantage after 4.Nf3 Bg4, citing a Kasparov game where white proves the pin to be premature. If I remember correctly it happens to be the only line which ends in an advantage for white in the exchange French. Tongue As for imbalance, develop pieces and castle opposite of white should work.

IP Logged

Templare
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 08/24/05 at 13:10:50
Post Tools
Yes, sometime I forgot the english nptation.

A= Alfiere (the soldier who bring the flag)= Bishop.

C= Cavallo (horse) = Knight

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 08/24/05 at 09:48:12
Post Tools
4.Nc3 Bf5 also looks reasonable.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #7 - 08/24/05 at 08:53:03
Post Tools
Quote:
Play The Dragon.

Tops Grin

Where did I leave the tar and feathers?
Wink

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #6 - 08/24/05 at 06:55:18
Post Tools
4.Nc3 you can go ...Bb4 transposing to Winawer exchange, or play more quietly with a Knight on f6 and bishop on e7.

It amazes me how many low rated players on the internet play the exchange variation - I have some sympathy for the Winawer exchange line, but the standard exchange is not going anywhere - usually castling queenside followed by the good ol kingside attack does the trick. The 4.Nf3 move order as played by Kaspy is more tricky, but again 4..Bg4 or 4..Bd6 are good enough.

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #5 - 08/24/05 at 06:00:03
Post Tools
How do you guys handle 4.Nc3? Bd6 drops a pawn if white has not castled yet. After 4.Nc3 getting the standard set up stated above, may not be easy all the time. Cry

CastleRock

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #4 - 08/23/05 at 20:20:07
Post Tools
What is the move order of French Exchange Dragon? Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley

CastleRock

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #3 - 08/23/05 at 17:55:51
Post Tools
Quote:
The E.V is the most popular variation in Intrnet. It is a boring linem for me.

After 4. Nf3 I played 3.., Ag4  3.., Ad6 and 3.. Cc6 ( following a suggestion of Psakys)  but I always struggle to imbalance the position.

OK, Iknow "the stronger player can win with Black" but it is very difficult.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Play The Dragon.

Tops Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 08/23/05 at 15:17:48
Post Tools
Sometimes the queen can go to h4:
4.Bd3 Nc6 5.c3 Bd6 6.Nge2 Qh4!? for instance.
It is this opposite castling idea, which convinced me to pick up the French.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #1 - 08/23/05 at 13:55:32
Post Tools
I am not well versed in Italian notation, but I assume A is a bishop and C a knight?
You may want to take a look at the following setup:
...Bd6, ...Nc6, ...Nge7, ...Bg4,  ...Qd7, ...f6, ...0-0-0 (idea is going pawnstorm on the kingside)
You dont always play it in the same sequence but the setup works against almost anything without an early c4, in which case the play isnt boring anyway.
I got the idea from Uhlmann's book (Silva-Uhlmann Tel Aviv 1964) and it works quite well for me.

IP Logged

Templare
YaBB Newbies

C01: Exchange variation
08/23/05 at 13:16:37
Post Tools
The E.V is the most popular variation in Intrnet. It is a boring linem for me.

After 4. Nf3 I played 3.., Ag4  3.., Ad6 and 3.. Cc6 ( following a suggestion of Psakys)  but I always struggle to imbalance the position.

OK, Iknow "the stronger player can win with Black" but it is very difficult.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 08/02/11 at 19:41:07 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo