Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Whats the hardest to face?? (Read 24608 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Whats the hardest to face??
Reply #19 - 10/01/05 at 15:39:05
Post Tools
I am not an expert on the KID, but hasn't Black after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 o-o 6.Be2 the choice of c5, Na6, e5 7.o-o Nc6, e5 7.o-o Nbd7 and Bg4? Not that these moves are of equal value.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #18 - 10/01/05 at 05:00:20
Post Tools
Considering that White is the one with all the choices in the Classical, I'm a bit surprised that isn't the most feared by pretty much all KID players.  Maybe some don't fear it as much because it's also the most thematic variation of the KID.

IP Logged

elspringer

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #17 - 09/30/05 at 09:00:07
Post Tools
Back when I was playing the KID I hated the Classical most. Against the Sämisch I used a queenside attacking scheme (I think I found it in a book by Gufeld [?]) with fantastic results...

IP Logged

CheckMate

Reply #16 - 09/29/05 at 15:00:25
Post Tools
That question is easy to answer:

The Sämisch!!!

If there wouldn't be any Sämisch I would play the KID much more often!
For one reason or another I find the Sämisch theory unfathomable and I often end up in lost positions on the black side even against weaker players.
I find the positions I get out of theory unattractive for the black player.

CheckMate

IP Logged

Darthkrieger
YaBB Newbies

I'm your Daddy.

Reply #15 - 09/17/05 at 18:32:21
Post Tools
Easiest to hardest pour moi:

1.Petrosian
2.Exchange
3.Makaganoov (I only played one player who actually knew what he was doing in this line and I came up with an interesting yet slightly sub par novelty that threw him off and went on to win)
4.Averbakh
5.Classical
6. 4 pawns (up to this point, not much trouble with any of these)
7. Saemisch (this one makes me want to pull all my hair out. I have like a 20% score with this line (horrible compared to my other lines).

I don't even mention the fianchetto and anti-indians because they don't really count in my oppinion. If they did then I would say that fianchetto is easy (switch to grunfeld) and Trompowsky is a very tough nut to crack.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #14 - 09/14/05 at 22:17:39
Post Tools
Interesting information on the Makagonov, notyet.  I never liked an early h3 for White in KID, so I will have to take a close look at Krasenkow's games and learn something!  Shocked

IP Logged

notyetagm

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #13 - 09/14/05 at 20:10:51
Post Tools
I became impressed with the Makogonnov system agains the KID (an early h3) when I saw the KID player GM Radjabov use it to win against the KID at the European Individual Championship. I then found out that GM Krasenkow has scored like 80%(!) using it during his career. It seems like a very strong anti-KID weapon in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. In the previous generation GM Bent Larsen was its major proponent.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #12 - 09/09/05 at 10:43:09
Post Tools
It is noteworthy that Gallagher himself switches from 1. e4 to 1. d4 just so that he can take on other people's King's Indian with... the Samisch  Grin

When I tried the KID a long time ago (for a grand total of 1 week  Roll Eyes), I hated BLack's position in lines when White plays on the kingside with moves like g4 or h4, such systems include the Makagonov 5. h3, some Classical lines, and yes, the Samisch!

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #11 - 09/09/05 at 10:40:21
Post Tools
Quote:
the excahnge is not to be worried about and anti indians are not so good them selves not very ambitous in the same tourney i played against he torre in KI fashionn and drew easily against a higher rated opponent

Any lines or better still games which cover anti -indians which you can put up here so that i can have a closer look at them?? Some explanations on their basic ideas would be good too. Chess like maths & physics, I always need my diet of 'worked examples' before i understand anything.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #10 - 09/09/05 at 09:43:24
Post Tools
Thanks, I will surely check it out. Kotronias is one of those players I follow a bit for opening inspiration (e.g. the Bg5 Najdorf)

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #9 - 09/09/05 at 08:59:59
Post Tools
In that case I would heartily recommend (even now) Kotronias' Beating the Flank Openings if you can get your hands on a copy.  Elsewhere on this forum I have criticised the book, because it doesn't really do what it says: in particular for non-KID players, such as myself, there is no sensible way to meet the Reti proposed.

However, if you do play the KID the book is excellent as it features an all-purpose King's Indian-style system against the English which could easily be used against a Reti move order (White can only really avoid it by playing d4 at some point and transposing back into a mainstream KID).

And if you ever do fancy a change from the KID, then the alternative he proposes against the English (basically the Reversed Dragon lines 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.g3 d5 and variants thereof) is very good and excellently presented.  Just be aware that you won't be able to do this against the Reti!

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #8 - 09/09/05 at 06:34:58
Post Tools
Yeah but it doesnt cover the flank openings, esp the English. I dont have problems with those d4 "specials", only with the flank openings.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #7 - 09/09/05 at 06:20:23
Post Tools
Well, a while back he did write exactly that book: Beating the Anti-King's Indians.  However, this was published in 1996, so perhaps it is time for a rewrite ...

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 09/09/05 at 05:55:19
Post Tools
Never have problems against the fianchetto as I switch to the Grunfeld (I do that too against other move orders where white doesnt play Nc3 and e4).
I do have problems against all the lame stuff like the English and the Reti. Gallagher should write a book about those from a KI perspective (preferably including the often overlooked things like the tromp). Would complement perfectly with his latest (excellent) book.

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/08/05 at 22:29:44
Post Tools
the excahnge is not to be worried about and anti indians are not so good them selves not very ambitous in the same tourney i played against he torre in KI fashionn and drew easily against a higher rated opponent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo