Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Gorring Gambit (Read 1750 times)
basqueknight
Ex Member

Re: Gorring Gambit
Reply #4 - 09/23/05 at 00:18:01
Post Tools
The gambit against the caro is only bad if you can refute it and there is a lot of things to think about. The ziegler defense is interesting if not stubburn but things can get blown way out of control if black doesnt knoe exactly what they are doing. As a class player i have it easier than you guys but the gambit is not bad!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 09/22/05 at 20:49:34
Post Tools
The Milner Barry Gambit against the Caro-Kann runs 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.f3? and promises an advantage to Black. More precise is the Von Hennig move order 4.Bc4 Nf6/Bf5 5.f3, but it is still dubious.
Blackmar-Diemer chauvinists call this the Ziegler defense, but that is silly, as Von Hennig invented his gambit when Diemer was still in his diapers and Ziegler was not even born yet.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Rasco

Reply #2 - 09/22/05 at 20:12:54
Post Tools
Quote:
I play the smith-morra gambit and I play the Milner Berry gambit against the caro-kann as well as somthing similar against the french but i dont have a gambit vs e5 and i dont like the white side of the kings gambit. Is goring still a weapon to be used. I was even looking at a side line where white can play in smith-morra fassion with his Qe2 and Rd1 instead of the Qb3 stuff. It all looks fun however and was wondering if any  one played it here. If so could you point me toward some references prefferably not by Eric Schiller.   Cheesy

What is the milner berry gambit against the caro?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 09/08/05 at 15:16:25
Post Tools
Two years ago GM Karsten Müller and FM Martin Voigt wrote a book called Danish Dynamite.
I have played the Danish Gambit for more than 10 years.
Note, that the Danish and the Göring are close relatives:
1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 is the Danish and
2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.c3 is the Göring Gambit.
The Göring Gambit has the big disadvantage of allowing Black to play the Capablanca Defense: 4...d5 5.exd5 Qxd5 6.cxd4 Bb4+ 7.Nc3 Bg4 8.Be2 Bxf3 9.Bxf3 Qc4! 10.Bxc6+ bxc6! 11.Qe2+ Qxe2+ and you can call it a draw.
The Danish move order avoids this with 3...d5 4.exd5 Qxd5 5.cxd4 Nc6 6.Be3!? though this does not promise an advantage either.
The Danish move order has the disadvantage of 3...Qe7. Both gambits can safely be met with 3...Ne7!? resp. 4...Ne7!? intending d7-d5, but I have never met this.
Though I have had a lot of fun in those days, it is also true that Black has a number of ultra solid continuations available. So I think you should better take a look at the Evans Gambit. Of course there is the Two Knights Defense to meet.
If you still insist on playing the Danish/Göring, I have another tip: play 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 (4.Bc4 cxb2 5.Bxb2 Nc6 6.Nf3 Bb4+ is probably good for Black - see the Müller/Voigt book) Nc6 (Bb4 5.Qd4!?) 5.Bc4 Bb4 (Nf6!?) 6.Nge2!? as 6.Nf3 is also rather good for Black.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Gorring Gambit
09/08/05 at 11:22:02
Post Tools
I play the smith-morra gambit and I play the Milner Berry gambit against the caro-kann as well as somthing similar against the french but i dont have a gambit vs e5 and i dont like the white side of the kings gambit. Is goring still a weapon to be used. I was even looking at a side line where white can play in smith-morra fassion with his Qe2 and Rd1 instead of the Qb3 stuff. It all looks fun however and was wondering if any  one played it here. If so could you point me toward some references prefferably not by Eric Schiller.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo