Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Simple 1.e4 e5 opening for white (Read 25569 times)
RotGut

HUH!?!

Re: Simple 1.e4 e5 opening for white
Reply #64 - 02/15/06 at 04:34:36
Post Tools
The above post touches on some very good points when one is limited on time for study. I did not think of playing a Ruy until about 4 years into the game.

IP Logged

serious advice(Guest)

Reply #63 - 02/14/06 at 18:31:32
Post Tools
bump...to the top.

Anway the intitial premise in this thread is an intersting one. I would gather by the initial post that this person does not have that much study time & is seeking maximum gain with such little time to devote. Well there is a way..

First off I can't belive that some folks are suggesting this person take up the Ruy! Outside of copius amounts of Ruy theory one must study all of the semi-closed openings as well....too much...way too much! This guy is obviously a novice so he must be eased into the game with openings that keep  control of the games direction in his ballpark. Hence as white I would recomend the Bishops Opening. It would seem you have been playing some variants of it already but you hould stick with it. This opening is used by some GM's. Chances are it is not the opening but your middlegame play. Study the Bishop Opening inside and out. As black against 1.)e4 I would suggest (get ready for the controversy) the Philidor. Now before others start jumping on this suggestion lets talk plainly. One it is a fairly simple to learn. Secondly you can master it fairly quickly (4-6 months). Thirdly it serves as a very lethal surprise weapon. The Philidor in competant hands is deadly against 85% of the chess masses. Yes of course against best play the opening is weak. Here is the kicker though.....you will not be playing against best play in 99% of your games. I rode the Philidor horse for 5 years. I notched up some very impresive wins against strong opposition. It is easy for folks to refute theory away from the board but quite another when one is at the board. Against 1d4 I would recomend the QGA. Fairly straightforward opening with easy theory to learn & understand.

Now for some devations: Against the English 1.)c4 I would recomend choosing one line against it & sticking with it. The same will hold true for the Reti and various 1)d4 openings (tromp, torre, stonewall, etc.).  With these suggestions you will be fairly surprised how much more confident you will become at the board & yes there have been folks who have rode these openings to master level. One last piece of advice...STICK TO YOUR GUNS NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELL YOU! Half the fun in chess is defending ones own pet openings despite the many who would seek to do them harm! If the unthinkable happens & you find you are rising to the higher ranks in chess then you will have to incorperate more sound & solid openings....this however is a longshot! Not to be a jerk but it is realistic....

As for myself after playing the above openings for years and with some strong players getting used to my openings I had to slowly change my opening arsenal. Against 1)e4 I will use the Pirc & Modern. Against 1)d4 I have the Nimzo & Bogo now. As for white I now employ the English & Reti. I'M slowly working toward  1)e4 (Ruy) after a great deal of study in anti sicilian, caro, petrov & french lines. I found this far easier to acomplish after tremendous over the board experience with my first set of openings. I still will venture into some of my first openings when IM' pretty sure my opponent will not be prepared to face them.......

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #62 - 10/10/05 at 10:31:56
Post Tools
Quote:
The critical line seems to be 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.Qxd4 Nc6 4.Qe3 Nf6 5.Nc3 Bb4 6.Bd2 0-0 7.0-0-0 Re8 8.Qg3
white sacs a pawn for development. seems intresting, even super-GM Polgar tried it twice as the databases show, once again Kasimjanov.

Bruce -

When I used to play this, my opponents usually spent a lot of time on simple moves, thinking that there must be a trap involved.  There isn't any trap.  So, one practical advantage is you can use this in fast time controls and watch black burn up precious minutes as he squirms around trying to figure out what white's trick is.  There is no trick.  White just ends up with equality at best if black stays calm.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #61 - 10/10/05 at 10:20:06
Post Tools
Bruce,

Normally, quoting Judit Polgar as playing an opening is high recommendation indeed.  Unfortunately, her repertoire is getting burnt to a crisp in the cauldron at San Luis. Cry  Still, it's good to see the idea has legs!

IP Logged

Bruce

Reply #60 - 10/10/05 at 06:29:20
Post Tools
The critical line seems to be 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.Qxd4 Nc6 4.Qe3 Nf6 5.Nc3 Bb4 6.Bd2 0-0 7.0-0-0 Re8 8.Qg3
white sacs a pawn for development. seems intresting, even super-GM Polgar tried it twice as the databases show, once again Kasimjanov.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #59 - 10/02/05 at 16:58:40
Post Tools
Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, Lost.

Sure.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #58 - 10/02/05 at 16:23:27
Post Tools
Thanks for pointing that out, Lost.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #57 - 10/02/05 at 16:18:54
Post Tools
Quote:
It's flattering that an idea of mine is so popular that others not only copy it, but claim it!

Poor researching skills again.  Check this thread, September 12, 7th post.  Hint:  It pre-dates yours.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #56 - 10/02/05 at 16:07:31
Post Tools
Quote:
It may have been me.  The opening is one of the junk openings that occasionally work against weak players who feel uncomfortable when they are forced out of their book preparation.  Strong players will kill you, and even a weak player who is familar with it and stays composed will probably win.  You really need to know your opponent.  I don't recall any basic plans, other than to concentrate exclusively on piece development.  Don't move your pawns unless absolutely necessary.

- Lost Highway

As you probably noticed in my own notes made last Friday, the idea is just the opposite of Lost's last recommendation.  The object is to open up as many lines as possible, and White's f4 figures very prominently in this plan!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #55 - 10/02/05 at 16:05:24
Post Tools
Quote:
...If you want a little-known opening that has scored well in the past, here's a good blitz opening:

1.e4 e5 2.d4!? ed4 3.Qd4!? Nc6 4.Qe3 Nf6

(4...Bb4+ Nc3 leads to similar positions).  4...g6 5.Nc3 Bg7 6.Bd2 d6?! (Nf6) 7.0-0-0 Nf6 8.f4!)

5.Nc3 Be7 6.Qg3!

5....Bb4+! 6.Bd2 0-0 7.0-0-0 and it's an unusual, unclear game.  It's theoretically equal, but it would certainly score in many games.

It's flattering that an idea of mine is so popular that others not only copy it, but claim it!

Bruce,

I'm glad I was able to help!  This idea does work well in blitz, and i think GM Larry Christiansen has done some work on it.  Maybe he has some games in his library on ICC?  I will check my databases some time, but it may be a while.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #54 - 10/02/05 at 11:10:52
Post Tools
Quote:
Funny thing... someone suggested her 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.Qxd4 Nc6 4.Qe3.  Now i tried it in blitz, and it dosent look so bad. If anyone could give analysis of major options for both sides from this point, id be glad.

It may have been me.  The opening is one of the junk openings that occasionally work against weak players who feel uncomfortable when they are forced out of their book preparation.  Strong players will kill you, and even a weak player who is familar with it and stays composed will probably win.  You really need to know your opponent.  I don't recall any basic plans, other than to concentrate exclusively on piece development.  Don't move your pawns unless absolutely necessary.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #53 - 10/02/05 at 10:50:16
Post Tools
Quote:
I have (in blitz) tried 1. e4 e5 2. d4 ed4 3. Qxd4 Nc6 4. Qa4!? 

A possible refinement of this is 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.d4 exd4 4.Qxd4 Nc6 5.Qa4, somewhat reducing Black's options.

The Swede Per Sorenfors has published some analysis of this (calling it the 'New Malmo variation').

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #52 - 10/02/05 at 09:44:38
Post Tools
As an occasional scandinavian player, I have (in blitz) tried 1. e4 e5 2. d4 ed4 3. Qxd4 Nc6 4. Qa4!? thanks to an old SOS article in NIC. Compared to the Scandi, White's extra tempo has given him a pawn in the centre, which allows him to equalise!   Wink

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #51 - 10/02/05 at 09:22:16
Post Tools
Quote:
1...Nf6 certainly is fine, Taljechin.  But I have never had reason to worry about the Englund Gambit (1.d4 e5) as White.  As Black, I'd be ecstatic to play against it!  It would mean that my opponent had just given me an extra "White" in the tournament and played a dubious line, to boot!

Well, the point' of 1...Nf6! was just to avoid white's idea of playing black with white... Though the Englund may not be one of the 10 best choices, it isn't completely idiotic either. I have 100% with it as black myself, and it will stay that way, i.e. I won't play it a 2nd time! Grin

IP Logged

Bruce

Reply #50 - 10/02/05 at 09:06:26
Post Tools
Funny thing... someone suggested her 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.Qxd4 Nc6 4.Qe3.  Now i tried it in blitz, and it dosent look so bad. If anyone could give analysis of major options for both sides from this point, id be glad.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo