Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Ruy Lopez is not the only e4 e5 line!!! (Read 1331 times)
Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Re: Ruy Lopez is not the only e4 e5 line!!!
Reply #1 - 09/12/05 at 17:42:22
Post Tools
Quote:
Olivier, can you please give some new information on other e4 e5 lines and not only stick on Ruy Lopez. Two weeks in a row you only focused on Ruy Lopez.... people here don't only play Ruy Lopez and I for sure don't. There is Two Knights defence, there is Petroff etc.

As a former King's gambit player, I can understand Ryan's frustration, but it is a fact that amongst serious players the Ruy Lopez is still by far the most important important 1 e4 e5 opening.

If you are an ambitious player who plays 1 e4 as White, the Spanish is simply the strongest weapon, in the sense that it is the hardest for Black to equalise against, or to gain serious counterplay against without taking big risks.

If you defend 1 e4 e5 as Black, having a some decent lines against the Spanish is the principal worry, with the Scotch and the Italian with d3 and c3 in distant 2nd and 3rd places. Everything else is pretty much a question of looking it up in a good book, since there is very little top-class "arms race" R&D going on outside these openings. It seems pretty reasonable to me that Chess Publishing should reflect that situation in the balance of its content.

Ryan, what openings would you like Olivier to cover, that haven't already been covered well by his predecessors, or which can't be sorted out by a bit of home study using say Emms, NCO or ECO , plus a good database topped up weekly from TWIC?

Have you tried making a specific request to Olivier? Or have you got any specific questions that the community of our forum could help you answer?

IP Logged

Ryan Harper

Ruy Lopez is not the only e4 e5 line!!!
09/12/05 at 15:37:32
Post Tools
Olivier, can you please give some new information on other e4 e5 lines and not only stick on Ruy Lopez. Two weeks in a row you only focused on Ruy Lopez.... people here don't only play Ruy Lopez and I for sure don't. There is Two Knights defence, there is Petroff etc.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo