Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is there a good book on the danish & danish gambit (Read 6450 times)
Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Is there a good book on the danish & danish ga
Reply #11 - 09/21/05 at 23:37:01
Post Tools
Thanks,

I guess I'll check myself to see if it's available.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #10 - 09/21/05 at 20:21:27
Post Tools
Danish Dynamite
Explosive Gambits: the Danish, Göring, Scotch and Urusov.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #9 - 09/21/05 at 00:16:59
Post Tools
Danish Dynamite is the title, I believe.  Or something similar.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #8 - 09/20/05 at 21:36:10
Post Tools
Quote:
Müller and Voigt have omitted the chapter on Black's other options here, like Bb4 and c2) 5.Bxb2 Nc6 6.Nf3 Bb4+ 7.Nc3 Nf6 8.Qc2 d6 9.o-o-o o-o 10.e5 Ng4. For details I refer to the book. 

Ok, I give up. Angry  What the heck is the name of this famous book by Mueller and Voigt that it doesn't even need to be mentioned in this thread?  Is it actually available for us to refer to?  What's up with this? Angry

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #7 - 09/20/05 at 20:15:26
Post Tools
White is not obliged to sac two pawns - 4.Nxc3 is also according the rules.
I do agree, that White's prospects are suspicious after 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Bc4?! cxb2 (strange enough Müller and Voigt have omitted the chapter on Black's other options here, like Bb4 and c2) 5.Bxb2 Nc6 6.Nf3 Bb4+ 7.Nc3 Nf6 8.Qc2 d6 9.o-o-o o-o 10.e5 Ng4. For details I refer to the book.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #6 - 09/20/05 at 11:24:03
Post Tools
Quote:
The Müller/Voigt book is a treasure trove and mostly very honest (brutally so, in fact) about White's chances.  I do think that the presentation leaves a little bit to be desired though.  It is not always clear where one variation ends and the next begins.

I am happy that two of my correspondence games are cited in this book.  I do, however, consider the Danish to be a lost cause.  The best defence is to take both pawns and play ...Nc6, ...Bb4 and so forth.  It is not easy to play, but it leads -- in my view -- to a win.  The key "Nielsen Gambit" position with White having castled queenside, his queen on c2, and so forth, is won for Black.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #5 - 09/20/05 at 04:14:53
Post Tools
The Müller/Voigt book is a treasure trove and mostly very honest (brutally so, in fact) about White's chances.  I do think that the presentation leaves a little bit to be desired though.  It is not always clear where one variation ends and the next begins.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Rasco

Reply #4 - 09/19/05 at 20:38:04
Post Tools
Oh dont forget, Müller/Voigts book also had the scotch, gorgin, and the gambit with bc4 and d4. so it is not really a whole book on the danish.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 09/18/05 at 20:57:07
Post Tools
"I wonder if the Danish is worth a whole book by itself anymore."
Obviously Müller and Voight thought it worth the effort!They are pretty sceptical on the objective chances for White and I agree. Still the opening, especially if Black accepts, is a good ground for developing tactical skills.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #2 - 09/18/05 at 05:37:39
Post Tools
MNb:   Grin

I wonder if the Danish is worth a whole book by itself anymore.  There seem to be only a few critical lines that are mentioned in NCO and ECO, and practical experience seems rather skimpy.  Perhaps the best book for a Danish player would be Vukovic's The Art of Attack in Chess, or dare I suggest... Either Spielmann's The Art of the Sacrifice in Chess or Shamkovich's The Modern Art of the Sacrifice in Chess.  Larry Christiansen's Storming the Barricades is also a good source.  Fortunately, there are many books of that nature that should help you.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 09/17/05 at 22:44:02
Post Tools
I suppose you mean Müller/Voigts book. As they say, all lines after 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 are so concrete, that positional ideas remain rather vague. In fact there is only one: White sacs one or two pawns, developes as fast as he can and then strikes.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Rasco

Is there a good book on the danish & danish gambit
09/17/05 at 22:16:07
Post Tools
Is there a good book on the danish & danish gambit?

I did get the new one on the danish gambit, but man it has so many variations, I like to get something with more idears in it? Also I dont have anything on the reqular Danish, 2 Qxp, would like to look at it too? Thanks?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo