Latest Updates:
Normal Topic scotch 4 knights (Read 1824 times)
mad_knight

aargh!

Re: scotch 4 knights
Reply #4 - 09/22/05 at 15:27:35
Post Tools
Thanks Alvaro, just what I needed to know.  I bought the book right away on Amazon. And don't worry about your English, there's nothing wrong with it! Smiley

Cheers

Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety - William Shakespeare

IP Logged

Alvaro
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 09/22/05 at 11:38:06
Post Tools
Hello friends from Spain,

The book Starting out: the Scotch Game has 47 pages about the Scotch four knights (chapter one). It includes: introdution, alternatives to 5.Nc3, 5.Nc3 Bb4, 5Nc3 Bc5 and other fifth moves for black and points to remember. There are 12 games.

The book The Scotch Game explained by G. Lane has 27 pages about the Scotch four knights with small letter.  It includes: history, basic plan for white, basic plan for black, 8 games and conclusion.
An ttacking repertoire for white by Collins doesn´t cover the Scotch four knights in The Scotch Opening chapter.

Saludos.
Excuse my English  Embarrassed   

IP Logged

mad_knight

aargh!

Reply #2 - 09/21/05 at 15:59:21
Post Tools
Emms' book seems to be a good place to start, Micawber.  I got hold of a copy and was pleasantly surprised to see he devotes as much as 16 pages to this opening. Smiley  Of course, it's a Black repertoire book and it covers only the two variations recommended for Black, but it's a start.  Too bad Emms doesn't think much of this opening either, which he considers "harmless" or "mostly harmless". Angry  I happen to think it's pretty resourceful and so did others in recent threads on this forum.

Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety - William Shakespeare

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #1 - 09/21/05 at 15:22:09
Post Tools
If you like John Emms as an author you could consider
his repetoire book on 1e4.e5 as black. It covers everything
except the Spanish game. Perhaps its somewhat older but certainly for the scottish four knights that doesnt matter all that much.

IP Logged

mad_knight

aargh!

scotch 4 knights
09/20/05 at 10:39:05
Post Tools
Hi everyone,

Has anyone already read John Emms' Starting Out the Scotch Game?  Does it cover the Scotch 4 Knights to some extent?  Pinski's The Four Knights does of course, but the reviews weren't that great and in addition, Pinski doesn't seem to think much of this opening, which of course is reflected in his treatment of the subject.  On the other hand, I do like the Starting Out formula in general and John Emms as an author in particular.

Thanks for your feedback.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo