Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Flankopenings (Read 1257 times)
Waster
YaBB Newbies

Dragon rulezzzzzzz !

Re: Flankopenings
Reply #3 - 09/21/05 at 01:27:43
Post Tools
The transposition c4 Nf6 Nc3 c5 is nice for black. He is the one who can play d5 before white has played d4 and black has the game more in his own hands.

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #2 - 09/20/05 at 13:44:57
Post Tools
this is a big issue that I have mentioned a few times here. it really depends on your Nimzo repetoire. If you are also a QID player, you can play 1.c4 b6 and at least get an interesting game. If you are willing to play a hedgehog you can use Suba's move order trick 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 c5, avoiding 1.c4 c5 2.g3. If you intend to play a Benoni after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3/g3 c5, you have to be ready for certan English lines anyway.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #1 - 09/20/05 at 13:35:16
Post Tools
Sure it belongs here.

You're gonna get a lot of different answers, but the main three options for you are: 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 and if 3.d4 you have

I.  The Queen's Indian: 3...b6

II.  The Queen's Gambit 3...d5

III. The Modern Benoni 3...c5.

Your choices are largely a matter of personal experience and taste, but if you're just starting out II. is your best bet for rapid improvement.

If you have some experience, then the QID (I) is extremely solid and give Black excellent chances for a win.  This is the most common choice among stronger players.

If fun, rather than improvement is your main goal, then the Modern Benoni should fit the bill.  Chances are pretty good that if White has played that move order, he won't like that anyway.  He may play 4.Nc3 and go for an English or perhaps a variation of the QGD Tarrasch after 4...cd4 5.Nd4

There are of course several other options that I haven't listed, but these really are the main three to consider.

IP Logged

Waster
YaBB Newbies

Dragon rulezzzzzzz !

Flankopenings
09/20/05 at 12:36:46
Post Tools
Maybe this topic doesn't belongs here, but I was wondering what nimzo-indian players will play against c4 and Nf3. I want to play the nimzo-indian, but there are a couple of hard variations such as 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 e6 3.e4.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo