Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 1E4 E5 2Nf3 D6 3D4 BG4?! (Read 2333 times)
lost highway

I may be crazy.

Re: 1E4 E5 2Nf3 D6 3D4 BG4?!
Reply #4 - 10/03/05 at 17:36:12
Post Tools
Quote:
Yeah h3 seems like a decent move.

On which move is that?  When I play against this line, I play 7.h3.  What usually happens after that is 7...Bxf3 8.Qxf3 Ne5 9.Qe2 and white has a big advantage.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 10/03/05 at 13:52:07
Post Tools
Yeah h3 seems like a decent move.

BtW I just looked this variation up. Khalifman gives 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 Bg4 4. dxe5 Nd7 5. exd6 Bxd6 6. Nc3 Ngf6 7. Be2 Qe7 (what else?) 8. Nd4 (Khalifman also suggests  Nd2) Bxe2 (e4 is untouchable) 9. Qxe2 Bb4 10. O-O Bxc3 11. bxc3 O-O 12. f3 Qc5 13. Bd2 with a very pleasant position indeed for white. For example a move like Qb5 looks pretty nasty. I really dont see any benefit for black in this position. You're a pawn down, you have lost the bishops and the pawn endgame is a very easy win for white. I also dont see any major alternative for black.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/03/05 at 12:57:30
Post Tools
In a recent team event in the metro leauge I was board 4 i played my opponent was about 300 points above me and replied with a 2.c3 siclian. I was out of my book but i went on to play the main line, I died however.

When goinng over the game i told him i was thinking about playing a philidor with bg4. He looked at me with a smart ass grin on his face and told me that was bad.
So i played it against him in a skittles game.

I went on to win with  some nice piece activity. He thought it was rather funny as we went on to look at multiple moves after Bxd6 and i dont think they lead to much besides the normal slight advantage white has with the first move.

I think the most critical line is after Bg4 white to play h3! this is the hardest to meat over the board but i wish you were here as well as we could settle this rating rating point thing like men

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #1 - 10/03/05 at 08:45:46
Post Tools
It is a pity you live in the US, because if you would play such openings against me it would be very good for my rating Grin
Imo after exd6 you're just a pawn down.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

1E4 E5 2Nf3 D6 3D4 BG4?!
10/02/05 at 22:17:25
Post Tools
Tim McGrew did an interesting article on this line making it seem quite playable. The idea is to go off the famous Opera Box game where morphy executed a truley beatiful combination. After morphys 4.DE then black plays NbD7 gambiting a pawn! I know im a crazy gambit player but it seems like a lot of fun. I have not had the chance to play it in a long game yet but im gonna try as soon as possible. In Blitz it has been scoring well at club level anyway.

Any thoughts or other sources this opening would be appreciated.

As always Peace
Basqueknight

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo