Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Starting Out The Sicilian Dragon (Read 11278 times)
Glenn Snow
God Member

Re: Starting Out The Sicilian Dragon
Reply #15 - 03/03/09 at 20:22:11
Post Tools
Visigoth wrote on 03/03/09 at 15:13:18:
@ Mr Snow
I will defer to your opinion since it must carry more weight than that of a mere recreational player like myself. I adopted the dragon a couple of years ago since I liked what I read about it. It suits me perfectly in that it doesn't lead to a lot of draws and yet isn't as anxiety producing as say the Scandinavian (where one always has to be on the look out for one's queen). If I can get to Rc8 I usually can put up a good fight and sometimes pull off the surprise win against higher rated players. Martin's book was my "intro" and it functioned well as such. I say "get to Rc8" because there are some sort of "scholars mate" attempts involving 3.Bc4 and an advance of the white kingside Knight that seem to throw me out of the dragon altogether (with my bishop landing of necessity on e6). I suspect I am doing something wrong but when I stick to dragon my king is often flushed with a bishop sacrifice with frustrating results. Anyway the dragon is a nice mix of aggressiveness and piece development and simple enough for the recreational player to get to move 10 or 12 with a viable position. Of course one needs to look at the Smith-Morra or the c3 lines (Palliser"s "Fighting the Anti-Sicilians" very good but a tad too detailed for my level---that is I will never remember all of his parenthetical sidelines).

I don't think you need to defer to my opinion.  Hopefully from what we and others have written the players that will benefit from the book will be the ones who decide to purchase it.  I rarely play the Dragon these days but find it interesting enough to buy most of the material put out on it.  I'm definitely going to purchase Martin's Dragon dvd.

IP Logged

Visigoth
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 03/03/09 at 15:13:18
Post Tools
@ Mr Snow
I will defer to your opinion since it must carry more weight than that of a mere recreational player like myself. I adopted the dragon a couple of years ago since I liked what I read about it. It suits me perfectly in that it doesn't lead to a lot of draws and yet isn't as anxiety producing as say the Scandinavian (where one always has to be on the look out for one's queen). If I can get to Rc8 I usually can put up a good fight and sometimes pull off the surprise win against higher rated players. Martin's book was my "intro" and it functioned well as such. I say "get to Rc8" because there are some sort of "scholars mate" attempts involving 3.Bc4 and an advance of the white kingside Knight that seem to throw me out of the dragon altogether (with my bishop landing of necessity on e6). I suspect I am doing something wrong but when I stick to dragon my king is often flushed with a bishop sacrifice with frustrating results. Anyway the dragon is a nice mix of aggressiveness and piece development and simple enough for the recreational player to get to move 10 or 12 with a viable position. Of course one needs to look at the Smith-Morra or the c3 lines (Palliser"s "Fighting the Anti-Sicilians" very good but a tad too detailed for my level---that is I will never remember all of his parenthetical sidelines).

IP Logged

OldGrizzly

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 03/03/09 at 10:48:40
Post Tools
@halfacreek: After 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 d6 6.Bc4 you cannot easy go for the Dragon with 6...g6 because of 7.Nxc6 bxc6 8.e5! Now 8...dxe5?? is a blunder - 9.Bxf7. But the alternatives aren't good at all... Embarrassed

IP Logged

MNb
YaBB Moderator

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 03/03/09 at 02:10:26
Post Tools
halfacreek wrote on 03/02/09 at 18:58:19:
I'm a newbie to the Dragon and I've got a question based on move order.

Is it better to enter the dragon via 1.e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 g6 or 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6?
What are the pros and cons of each? And what do I need to watch out for?   Undecided

Your help is much appreciated.

The latter is only better if you prefer to meet the Richter-Rauser (6.Bg5), the Sozin (6.Bc4), 6.f3 e5 and 6.Be3 Ng4 iso the Jugoslav Attack (5...Bg7 6.f3 or 6.Be3). Most Dragoneers enjoy the sharp play of the Jugoslav Attack though.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #11 - 03/02/09 at 20:00:35
Post Tools
Visigoth wrote on 02/27/09 at 14:39:09:
I think the words "Starting Out" imply that exhaustive coverage will not be found in the book and that one will need to consult other resources if one wishes to attain this kind of comprehensiveness. In the introduction Martin makes it clear that the very notion of a "beginners guide" to the Dragon is almost a cruel joke. So, despite omissions and gaps I still think it is worth consulting. As someone who literally used the book to "start out" playing the Dragon I can say that it functioned admirably in this role. I've had some nice wins against much higher rated players on ICC based on studying the book and a simo win against an IM. I was never under the illusion that it was the last word in what I have to learn. More skilled players may have a different and very valid viewpoint---but the book functions well as what it purports to be----an introduction.

I certainly agree that the book contained some good material but I think that even in a "Starting Out" book all major variations should be presented.  Certainly other "Starting Out" book have been able to do that including some on equally complicated openings.  I do really like some of Martin's books and DVD's.  I just feel that this wasn't one of his better efforts.

IP Logged

halfacreek
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 03/02/09 at 18:58:19
Post Tools
I'm a newbie to the Dragon and I've got a question based on move order.

Is it better to enter the dragon via 1.e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 g6 or 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6?
What are the pros and cons of each? And what do I need to watch out for?   Undecided

Your help is much appreciated.

IP Logged

Scott
Ex Member

Why did I just move that?!

Reply #9 - 02/28/09 at 04:19:24
Post Tools
I have it in e-book form, and I have enjoyed it. I think it has improved my play, and I learned about some lines that I wasn't previously familiar with. It's a good start to learning the Dragon.

My style is somewhere between that of Petrosian and Tal.

IP Logged

Visigoth
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/27/09 at 14:39:09
Post Tools
I think the words "Starting Out" imply that exhaustive coverage will not be found in the book and that one will need to consult other resources if one wishes to attain this kind of comprehensiveness. In the introduction Martin makes it clear that the very notion of a "beginners guide" to the Dragon is almost a cruel joke. So, despite omissions and gaps I still think it is worth consulting. As someone who literally used the book to "start out" playing the Dragon I can say that it functioned admirably in this role. I've had some nice wins against much higher rated players on ICC based on studying the book and a simo win against an IM. I was never under the illusion that it was the last word in what I have to learn. More skilled players may have a different and very valid viewpoint---but the book functions well as what it purports to be----an introduction.

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #7 - 02/27/09 at 00:52:54
Post Tools
Greetings,

Given that the Dragon is such a theoretical opening, I was expecting him to do something similar to IM John Cox's Starting Out: Sicilian Sveshnikov - in other words, 300+ pages for someone discovering/exploring the Dragon for the first time.

Even though it's "only" a Starting Out book, that's what's needed to do it justice. A similar argument can be used for the Najdorf.

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #6 - 02/26/09 at 22:21:29
Post Tools
I'm afraid I have to offer a different view than the above.  I do think there is some useful material to someone starting out with the Dragon but there are at least a couple of important omissions.  The 9.0-0-0 d5 (still the way to go IMHO) variation is covered very lightly.  I could go into more detail but unless you want to try out the delayed ...0-0 variation with ...Bd7, you'll need another source.  Another area which has been debated in this forum is Martin's recommendation against the ...Qa5 Yugoslav variation.  While this variation does contain some poison it doesn't seem to refute it.  It's still hard to wholeheartedly recommend ...Qa5 but because of other variations.  If I had to recommend just one source of information for someone on the Dragon I would probably go with Dearing's book which one could of course supplement with database searches.  However, with an opening like the Dragon, you're probably better off with as much as you can get your hands on!

IP Logged

Visigoth
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 02/26/09 at 15:09:07
Post Tools
A very good book and even useful for low level players like myself. I've actually sent some copies to friends. It gives good advice, for example, on what to aim for in the Bc4 variation of the Yugoslav attack and what to avoid (the old NxN to drag Queen off of the same diagonal as white's dark squared bishop). One is still hard pressed in this line but one is pointed down the more promising paths. I do wish some of these "Starting Out" books dealt with some 'early aggression' lines that one encounters, like 2. Bc4  or 3. Bc4  which seems to preclude the Dragon altogether. I've noodled it out for myself---BUT it might be helpful to be pointed down those other paths. One book that DID do that is Neil McDonald's "Starting Out: The Dutch"  which guides one through some of the annoying gambits that may mean one must choose the Leningrad rather than the Stonewall. I suppose lower level players should focus on tactics and endgame stuff, but I actually enjoy looking at opening theory and replaying GM games.

IP Logged

fussylizard
YaBB Newbies

<insert clever message
here>

Reply #4 - 10/22/05 at 00:44:16
Post Tools
I have the Martin book sitting right next to me and overall I like it.  Since I am just "starting out" with the dragon, I can't comment on how accurate it is, but I'm hoping that everything is solid.  Martin explains things well, and there are lots of comments to help along the new dragon player like me.

Also, there are lots of very recent games, many from 2004.  He also gives lots of information on the latest trends and move orders, which is helpful.

Since it is a starting out sort of book, there is not a lot of detail and sidelines, which is good or bad depending on what you are looking for.

Since one of my sparring partners uses the line recommended in Experts vs. the Sicilian (the 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 Nc6 8.Qd2 0-0 9.0-0-0 Yugoslav line which appears unpleasant for black) I've been looking at Martin's suggestion of playing 8...Bd7 to avoid this line.  The 8...Bd7 line has gotten poor reviews in other references I have (Experts vs. the Sicilian and Rogozenko's Dragon CD) so I'm hoping his more recent games and analysis will hold up.

Anyway, I've been happy with it as a new player to the dragon.

The white square goes on the lower left, right?

IP Logged

ken

Reply #3 - 10/21/05 at 11:15:05
Post Tools

Thank you so far    Wink

I think I will buy this book.

While I agree with the last post about Chris Ward it is good to have another view.

Ken

IP Logged

mlz3
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 10/21/05 at 10:25:14
Post Tools
Thanks a lot for the review! I love the Dragon and I have a great deal of respect for Chris Ward. While I do believe Andy to be a good author, I wondered whether it may have been better to get Chris to have written that book. Coming from a dragoneer with a respectable rating (mine is only around 1650), your endorsement makes me want to go ahead and purchase it.  Smiley

IP Logged

rooksway18

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #1 - 10/21/05 at 09:49:27
Post Tools
The author, IM Martin, explains some of the newer ideas in the dragon, like Topalov's variation.  Another example is delayed castling against one of the main lines in the Yugoslav attack, 9.000, and the transpositional wrinkles introduced by doing that.  I also enjoyed the sections on the Classical Dragon, as well as Levenfish Attack, 6.f4. I haven't examined the sections on the Soltis Variation, since I don't play it.

I believe Martin really is objective about the dragon, and at the same time 'gets it' when it comes to practical play. I'm impressed with how many newer, significant ideas, he came up with.  Also, the book does a good job explaining what move orders avoid certain variations that are currently considered critical.

A teacher, and very strong IM, played the white side of the line in the book recommended for white against the ...Qa5 variation of the Yugoslav attack and busted me right out of the opening over a year ago in a training game.  So it almost feels like Martin's now well circulated answer to ...Qa5 (which was 'pre-released') was 'insider information' even before it's pre-release and accepted by professionals as a way to get very good chances for white. At least that was the impression I was left with. I'm still struggling to find a counter to this 'antidote'.  On a side note, the debate on this forum regarding this 'antidote' has focused on the alternative 14.h4, but hardly touches on 14.Rhe1, which seems very strong. Love to hear from anyone with comments or suggested improvements for black or to show me if I missed it on this forum. The book analyzes both moves, which arise after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cd 4.Nd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 Nc6 8.Qd2 Bd7(or 8...00 9.Bc4 Bd7) 9.Bc4 00 10.000 Qa5 11.Bb3 Rfc8 12.Kb1 Ne5 13.Bg5 Rc5. 

Been playing the dragon exclusively since 1999 and love it.  My rating has been bouncing between 1900 and 2000 for the last couple years.  I have most dragon books.
« Last Edit: 10/21/05 at 12:49:34 by rooksway18 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo