Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Books on Open Ruy Lopez? (Read 8676 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: Books on Open Ruy Lopez?
Reply #14 - 01/24/07 at 10:51:00
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/23/07 at 15:44:48:
It is a source of continual exasperation to me, a paid-up gold subcriber, that there is absolutely no treatment here of the Open with 9. c3.  However unfashionable this may be, it is a major branch of chess theory, and there are a number of critical questions.  Among them is, "Is the Dilworth endgame OK for Black?"  Maybe we already have the unspoken answer to that, since nobody plays 9. c3 anymore and, as I recall, Yusupov was upholding the Dilworth when 9. c3 last was in fashion.  When was that?  10-12 years ago, at least.

9.c3 may be out of fashion, but as I said somewhere else there are still strong GM´s who play it, (Kevin Spraggett is the name that comes immediately to mind). I agree with you it deserves some coverage on the site.

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 01/24/07 at 09:39:35
Post Tools
Dilworth is still in good shape. Even Ignoring theoretical  status always a good practical choice !

Andrew

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #12 - 01/23/07 at 15:44:48
Post Tools
lnn2 wrote on 10/23/05 at 01:08:01:
What good books are there that deal with the spanish 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. 0-0 Nxe4 ? Latest theory is not especially important as I have informator/NIC/Chesspub.

Thanks in advance. Smiley

This defense was my exclusive answer to the Spanish for a long time, but I gave it up because 9. Nbd2.  Now I'm looking at it again.  I have both the Flear book and Krasenkov's, and they're both good.  These days of course, if you're playing at even the 2200 level, you need more than books.

It is a source of continual exasperation to me, a paid-up gold subcriber, that there is absolutely no treatment here of the Open with 9. c3.  However unfashionable this may be, it is a major branch of chess theory, and there are a number of critical questions.  Among them is, "Is the Dilworth endgame OK for Black?"  Maybe we already have the unspoken answer to that, since nobody plays 9. c3 anymore and, as I recall, Yusupov was upholding the Dilworth when 9. c3 last was in fashion.  When was that?  10-12 years ago, at least.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 01/23/07 at 09:13:47
Post Tools
I'd say there's an opportunity here for somebody. In one of the other recent threads , I've highlighted a few key lines. I think theoretically it's doing quite well now that Kaspy's Ng5 has been neutralised.

I suggest you look up Ivan Sokolov's games as he is the main practioner nowadays. Pons has also made a few useful contributions.In the past Krasenkov,Timman, Yusupov and Anand were quite theoretically relevant in addition to the obvious Korchnoi.

Good luck

Andrew Brett

IP Logged

neuronet
YaBB Newbies

Struggling patzer

Reply #10 - 01/22/07 at 20:38:50
Post Tools
It's been over a year since this thread started, and I was wondering if it is still true that there aren't many good books on the Open Ruy for black. I really want to play it, and am a bit surprised that there doesn't seem to be anything out there for people starting out with this tricky opening. The Flear book is not good for the initiate: he only seriously analyzes moves after move 9. Any suggestions? I've ordered the Krasenkov book.

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #9 - 01/26/06 at 14:27:20
Post Tools
I have the Krasenkov book and can recommend it, although like the Flear book it is somewhat out of date now. Given the developments in many of the main lines over the last few years, it is high time that some author got to work on a new book. Especially if he could provide more in-depth coverage of the Dilworth - a line I rate highly for black which has never received the attention it deserves, despite being incredibly popular in correspondence chess. I would certainly be willing to invest in a new Open Spanish bible for the new millenium, and I suspect that several other people would, too. John Shaw, you looking for any new book ideas?  Cheesy

Regards,
Craig

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #8 - 01/24/06 at 12:56:12
Post Tools
If Fernando or Markovich could give us a brief summary of the current state of theory this would be much appreciated! I'm particularly interested in the "Classical" line (9 Nbd2 Be7 10 c3 0-0 11 Bc2 f5; or 9 c3 Be7 10 Nbd2 0-0 11 Bc2 f5; or 9 c3 Be7 10 Bc2 0-0 11 Nbd2 f5), but would find a summary of all the main variations really helpful! In which positions does White's choice of ninth move make a difference, and in which doesn't it?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #7 - 11/11/05 at 15:34:04
Post Tools
I recommend both Krasenkov's book and Flear's.  Perhaps not for the right reasons, it turns out that Flear was right that 9. Nbd2 is no longler a big challenge.  This would seem to put the Open, always my favorite defense to the Spanish, back in business.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #6 - 11/06/05 at 20:27:31
Post Tools
Clearly a new book on the Open Lopez is needed.  I was hoping that would have been Nigel Davies choice for his new book but, alas,  Embarrassed

However, I am sure another one will come out sooner or later.  I find it a fun and interesting variation to play.

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

ano

Reply #5 - 10/31/05 at 22:16:51
Post Tools
One very well written source which surprisingly is still useful is the old RHM survey on the Open which I suspect is not easy to find. I agree with Fernando that the Flear book is now looking dated (for a while after this book was published theory did not develop with great speed but this has changed) but one could say that about many other opening books. Moreover Flear seemed to think 9. Nbd2 was not dangerous and he may well be right given recent developments. Overall I thought that the Flear book was a good book when it came out and it is still the best book on this opening. I am hoping Davies will cover the Open in his forthcoming book but I it may be that space has led him to choose something like the Berlin or 3...Bc5.

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #4 - 10/29/05 at 14:43:29
Post Tools
Well, it depends. Do you want theory or explanations?

1) OFWATA 2 is of course excellent, although no explanations. Yearbook 76 also has the latest wrinkle (although it was explained to us by Ubilava prior to Calvia 2004, these things take a while from the top to the books...)

2) The Glenn Flear book is dated and off mark. He states that 9.Nbd2 is unimportant and just a fashion line!

Which side of things are you on? white or black?

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #3 - 10/29/05 at 00:35:01
Post Tools
Thanks, Kylemeister!

I would also recommend going over the games between Karpov and Korchnoi as a beginning point of discussion on the Open variation.

IP Logged

kylemeister

Reply #2 - 10/24/05 at 11:26:04
Post Tools
The other main one I know of is by (Polish GM Michal) Krasenkov.  Seems to be highly regarded.  Published by Pergamon I believe; a little older than Flear's book.

I also have an old, small book by Bent Larsen titled something like, "Was soll Schwarz spielen?  Die Offene Variante in der Spanischen Partie!" (For those non-Swiss   Grin:  "What should Black play?  The open variation in the Ruy/Spanish!").

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #1 - 10/24/05 at 10:28:26
Post Tools
I saw one at amazon.com. Open Ruy Lopez by Glenn Flear. Rated 4.5 stars by reviewers.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Books on Open Ruy Lopez?
10/23/05 at 01:08:01
Post Tools
What good books are there that deal with the spanish 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. 0-0 Nxe4 ? Latest theory is not especially important as I have informator/NIC/Chesspub.

Thanks in advance. Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo