Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: What do you think of my original opening reper (Read 12367 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: What do you think of my original opening reper
Reply #13 - 10/24/05 at 16:17:53
Post Tools
Here's a link to the 3rd edition, which is in English too...

https://www.schachversand.de/detail/buecher/7504.html

Btw, congratulations to breakin the god wall, Willempie!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #12 - 10/24/05 at 16:08:52
Post Tools
No idea in the US, the ISBN is 9073216141 however. The author (van Rekom) apparently wrote a similar book for white although for white.
From what I know (I had to listen to one of my opponents telling me this), he wrote it with another guy (both 2200+) who both have been playing it for a very long time. It is supposed to be a very good book although said opponent never had any chance for more than a draw.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

AlekhinesBlock
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #11 - 10/24/05 at 13:51:18
Post Tools
do you know where i might purchase the book on "The lion"?

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #10 - 10/24/05 at 12:54:52
Post Tools
I played 'The Lion' for the first couple of months after I learnt chess, about seven years ago. It was my introduction to the concept of openings, as prior to then I didn't understand that there were set ways and patterns to begin a game......  The Lion was something I found on a website somewhere that promised an easy to learn one-fits-all system.  It was easy to learn, but inflexible and passive.  Still, I was playing mainly against opposition of a similar level to me, so it seemed great at the time. I can't imagine you'd want to stick with it for long, though. There are so many more exciting openings (not to mention better) to discover.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 10/24/05 at 09:38:56
Post Tools
Let me put it in milder words then. Restricting yourself to Hanham formations with both White and Black robs yourself of 90% of the joy chess can offer.
Be happy, if you become a master within two years in this way. Who cares? The world will keep on turning as it already does a 5 billion years.

If you really want to enjoy chess though, I highly recommend to expand your horizon.

PS a Hanham based repertoire is not original at all. It is relatively popular in the area of the Dutch town Dordrecht for several years now.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #8 - 10/24/05 at 09:01:13
Post Tools
Quote:
@Lost Highway
Let’s show some courtesy to new entrants. After all they need a period of acclimatization. That we crossed that stage without incidence doesn’t mean we can terrorise a new comer. Consider deleting your posts. Apparently original poster wants to erase it.

I agree with you castlerock. I think newcomers should be made to feel welcome so that they will be encouraged to join in the various discussions. Then we can all learn & exchange ideas & views.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #7 - 10/24/05 at 05:55:41
Post Tools
@Lost Highway

Let’s show some courtesy to new entrants. After all they need a period of acclimatization. That we crossed that stage without incidence doesn’t mean we can terrorise a new comer. Consider deleting your posts. Apparently original poster wants to erase it.

BTW, yes, your posts are not without point. But, if it happened after 30 posts, it’s a different matter.

CastleRock

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 10/24/05 at 03:47:49
Post Tools
This lion thing has a whole cult here. At least 2 out of my 9 team games I had to play against this. Even once with black. Its main asset is its annoyment value. Luckily the system is quite passive so when I played against I just stayed on the coffee and got the full point after almost 5 hours.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

elspringer

Reply #5 - 10/24/05 at 03:31:45
Post Tools
Now what Philidorlike means with balck we know : 'the Lion'. But how do you play this as White ? 1. e4, e5 2. d3 ? And what after 1. e4, c5 ?
What portion of these draws occur with you playing white ?

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/24/05 at 00:46:24
Post Tools
why delete it? you asked for our thoughts and we gave them you shouldnt ever get rid of somthing you started because there is bound to be some one who agrees with you. or who choses to disagree. This is the point of our Forum! ANd i hope it stays that way. Hell if every one agrreed on the opening life in chess would be quite boring. Dont you agree?

IP Logged

AlekhinesBlock
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 10/23/05 at 23:45:32
Post Tools
i didnt realize that you can only delete invididual posts not the entire thread. Sorry.

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/23/05 at 22:36:45
Post Tools
Im not one to agree with Lost-Highway very often but today i am. Maybe silly isnt the word but unenterprising is definitly up there. Very passive is another. Not somthing a lot of people are goign to want to read about.

but if it works for you then keep playing it. I just dont think it will set the world on fire or anything.

P.S. lost if you tell any one about me aggreeing with you we will have some major issues. Just kidding, peace.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #1 - 10/23/05 at 17:52:16
Post Tools
Quote:
My idea is silly? I have invested hours upon hours of time in this repertoire so I would appreciate it if you would clarrify your comment.  I personally think my repertoire is brilliant. In fact, one of the reasons I am working so hard to make master is so that I can have the authority to write a book and enlighten the world.

Maybe your just jealous that someone out there has such an original approach to chess. However I am fairly confident that your feelings of jelousy are rooted in admiration. I will one day be amongst the greatest chess thinkers of all time and you know it deep down.

You try and make it sound like I have a big ego. But I do not have an ego at all. If Michael Jordan says he can beat everyone at a game of basketball (back in his heyday) does that mean he has an ego? No it is an irrefutable fact. Similarly when I state the undeniable facts that I am going to be a chess master in two years or that I have never been defeated in tournament play, you do not have the right to imply that I have self-confidence issues or a giant ego.  If i had said I was going to be world champion one day, then you might have the ground upon which to assault me with your accusations.

Is there a doctor on this forum?

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

10/23/05 at 14:33:47
Post Tools
Quote:
Ok this is my repertoire. As black and white i play the same exact thing! Both times I play the philidor defense or philidor like positions.
I am between 1800-2000 (ive never lost a chess game by the way, but i draw about 50% of my tournament games).

I honestly believe that once i get that chessbase cd there is no stopping me. I will be master within the next two years. I guarantee it.

You really don't need any more help.  You've already achieved perfection.  You probably granted those draws to opponents who you felt pity for, or perhaps you had to catch a plane.  I'm sure you could have won if you didn't have something better to do.

You don't need a silly chessbase CD.  It would only slow you down.  What you need is an agent to do some negotiating on your behalf for a match with Kramnik, Topalov, or maybe Kasparov.  Those guys are bums.  They have have lost games!   

But, to be serious (ha ha) your idea is silly.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo