Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: What do you think of my original opening reper (Read 8008 times)
basqueknight
Ex Member

Re: What do you think of my original opening reper
Reply #28 - 10/25/05 at 22:08:25
Post Tools
im interested in all historical chess knowlege thank you very much for the info. And i am especially interested in opening history which is why i love the opening so much.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #27 - 10/25/05 at 19:26:14
Post Tools
Here we go. In Sliedrecht, not so far from Rotterdam, lives an experienced amateur called Leo Jansen. He has played the Hanham setup without castling with both colours during his entire career. His highlight was a draw or a win (forgotten) against Karpov in a simul.
He made some clubmates enthusiastic for his system, especially Jerry van Rekom. JvR decided to write a book and, in honour of his chess guru, to name the system The Lion, as Leo is the Latin name for this animal. Of course it is nothing more than a Philidor reached via the Pirc move order. Subvariations have names like The Yawn of the Lion, The Lion's Den etc.
I would not dare to say, that the whole town of Sliedrecht plays this system, but it is more popular there than in the rest of The Netherlands.
If you have not got bored by now, you know the not interesting history of this system, by former Dutch champion Rini Kuijf and a few others called anti chess.
BasqueKnight, I hardly can believe you really want to have this knowledge.  Tongue

I have tried it a few times myself as Black, but two files (h6, g5, Rg8) is really not enough for a convincing attack.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/25/05 at 14:48:29
Post Tools
Wow!

I have been sick but it seems this thread has caught fire!
I am happy to see every one getting along swimingly...
But any way i have heard a lot about this De La Maza stuff.

So any one out there willing to help a player out?

Oh and why is it called the lion and why does a whole town subsribe to this line of thought that would make chess there quite dull i would imagine. Not for the opening but for the repetiveness of positions. One of my favorite quotes come from petrosian which i think may fit "the lion" Ill paraphrase

Sure i might like defending a little more than i like attacking. But if some one feels more at home in one more than the other he may do better in those types of positions.

This is somthing we should all think about in any opening. Iron Tigran was a master at making those moves with white which made him seem almost cowardly. Im not talking about the young tigran but the older who played a lot of prophylaxis. So maybe our new comer who started this thread is closer to that style of thinking.

IP Logged

AlekhinesBlock
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #25 - 10/25/05 at 09:03:52
Post Tools
I see your point. Perhaps he is a little off in his approach and there are certain flaws to it. Still I think for the 128 days he asks for its worth a shot for most chessplayers to try his program and maybe modify to suit their needs (cut out level 90's for example).

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #24 - 10/25/05 at 05:44:10
Post Tools
Quote:
De la Maza isnt BS. Its a great way to increase your tactical ability which a very important factor towards making you a stronger player.  What is there that is bad about that?

What does de la Maza say? Tactical drill with 7 circles with CT Art and Knight’s tour, am I right? Before I proceed I have to say his knight’s tour has some merit. Even here Jon Levitt’s knight tour is much more refined.

What does he say it will deliver? 400 points in one year. And what are those 400 points? 2000 to 2400, 2200 to 2600 or 2400 to 2800? None. Some one must be raving mad to claim that. I used a more refined term and called it BS.

If it is from 1000 to 1400 or 1200 to 1600, the method will definitely get you there. But coaches who have worked with bright kids will testify that they seem to gain this kind of strength over the weekend and without de la Maza. Well tactics are very important. But what I fail to understand is what a 1100 will do with 9th level difficulty of CT Art.

Any concerted effort, be it going over classics (very important, imho) tactics (perhaps 30 mins a day) and end game studies over that period of time de la Maza suggests, will make one a better player than the one who follows his recommendation verbatim.

Finally, adult beginners resort to chess to break monotony. Is de la Maza the way to do it? Give me a break.

So, basically de la maza suggests a system of improvement that is useless when it matters and delivers eminently when so many other approaches can also deliver. The bottom line is de la Maza is not needed to take one from 1000 to 1400 and de la Maza cannot take one from 2000 to 2400. What more, he has a cult following. One of the definite candidates to be termed BS.

CastleRock

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #23 - 10/25/05 at 05:30:26
Post Tools
That's a rhetorical question dear elspringer. Of course its okay to have negative opinions. Just be friendly while you're expressing it.  Smiley Try to explain *why* someone is wrong rather than mock him to death.

It is also obvious that the strongest players here show the most humility. (except for Toppy of course, but hey he's special Grin ).

IP Logged

elspringer

Reply #22 - 10/25/05 at 04:51:41
Post Tools
What is the problem ? The original post asked for opinions, which tend to come from opinionated people, don't they ?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #21 - 10/25/05 at 00:29:24
Post Tools
I will defer to others who are much more senior than I am about the quality of the forum in the past.  I have seen some really nasty threads that died of natural causes before I ever signed up. 

However, I'd like to thank all of you who have helped to make the ChessPublishing forum a great place to share thoughts.

I have only run across one or two posters who consistently miss the point or misread/ignore other people's comments.  They know who they are because I will point it out to them.  Most of the people here are generous with  their time and their ideas, and many people here are excellent chess players.

It's quite rare to find competitive players who are also gentlemen and ladies, and even more rare to find so many willing to show proper etiquette in an online forum such as this.  KUDOS to ChessPublishing for bringing so many such rare people to this site.

I hope very much that the two or three (by my count) posters who are more interested in inflating their egos than in sharing opinions will learn the etiquette and understand why so many excellent and prolific writers here try to correct their inappropriate behavior.  I really would like to see these few (remember, it's only about .1% of all members) to change their etiquette because these players also have very much to offer!

Of course, when I overstep the bounds of propriety, I hope you will let me know (as gently as possible please, my ego is very fragile! Smiley )!

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #20 - 10/24/05 at 22:11:41
Post Tools
i'm quite sick of the  arrogant, cold, curt, dismissive tone of some of the posts/posters recently.
The forum wasn't always like that!  Embarrassed

Everyone had to start somewhere. so lets be patient  Smiley

IP Logged

AlekhinesBlock
YaBB Newbies

Reply #19 - 10/24/05 at 22:06:00
Post Tools
De la Maza isnt BS. Its a great way to increase your tactical ability which a very important factor towards making you a stronger player.  What is there that is bad about that?

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #18 - 10/24/05 at 21:00:51
Post Tools
Quote:
Are you guys for real?  Grin
- Lost Highway

In another good forum, a guy made his first post based on de la Maza B**l S**t. How much rating he improved, what is the methodology one should adopt, etc etc without really mentioning de la Maza.

Sure, one or two guys pounced on him like our LH but rest of the forum showed remarkable restraint and made the guy feel at home. He went on to become an important contributors.

CastleRock

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #17 - 10/24/05 at 20:10:05
Post Tools
A good reason not to play the White Lion:

Wilder,M (2535) - Lputian,S (2555) [C00]
Dortmund-A, 1988
1.e4 e6 2.d3 d5 3.Pd2 Pf6 4.Pgf3 Pc6 5.c3 a5 6.Dc2 e5 7.Le2 Le7 8.h3 0–0 9.g4 a4 10.Pf1 d4 11.Pg3 a3 12.Kf1 Le6 13.Kg2 Pd7 14.cxd4 exd4 15.bxa3 Pb6 16.Ph5 Lxa3 17.Pf4 Pb4 18.Dd2 c5 19.Lxa3 Txa3 20.Thc1 Dd6 21.e5 De7 22.Ph5 P6d5 23.Txc5 Dxc5 24.Dg5 g6 25.Dh6 gxh5 26.Pg5 Te8 27.Pxh7 Pxd3 28.Lxd3 Txd3 29.Kh2 Dc3 30.Tc1 Txh3+ 0–1

I have seen both books, the Black and the White Lion. They are rather prejudiced, though they contain some good analysis. The authors clearly underestimate the plan a7-a5-a4-a3 combined with d5-d4 or a2-a4-a5-a6 combined with d4-d5. I think this comes close to a refutation.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #16 - 10/24/05 at 19:49:14
Post Tools
Are you guys for real?  Grin

"I personally think my repertoire is brilliant."

"In fact, one of the reasons I am working so hard to make master is so that I can have the authority to write a book and enlighten the world." 

"Maybe your just jealous that someone out there has such an original approach to chess."

"However I am fairly confident that your feelings of jelousy are rooted in admiration."

"I will one day be amongst the greatest chess thinkers of all time and you know it deep down." 

"But I do not have an ego at all."

"Similarly when I state the undeniable facts that I am going to be a chess master in two years or that I have never been defeated in tournament play..."

Let's show some courtesy and respect for Alekhinesblock's statements?  Grin   Let's not call them silly?  Grin   After all, he's a new poster. Grin

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #15 - 10/24/05 at 16:33:33
Post Tools
Quote:
Btw, congratulations to breakin the god wall, Willempie!

Oh dear

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #14 - 10/24/05 at 16:26:06
Post Tools
I seem to recall Lost Highway moaning about the disrespect shown to new entrants on the forum some time back; good to see that he's keeping that tradition alive now that he's on the other side of that fence...

What I suspect Lost Highway meant to say is that there's nothing especially wrong with this repertoire, even if it is a little passive and, as MNb suggests, a touch uninspired.  I recently faced an opponent who played this with White and Black.  While I made a mess of my game with Black (ongoing in correspondence), I had little to worry about on either side of the board.  

Play it and enjoy it, but do look beyond the single repertoire...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo