Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Austrian Attack & the Pirc (Read 2698 times)
DAX

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ..........

Re: Austrian Attack & the Pirc
Reply #4 - 10/31/05 at 18:14:42
Post Tools
Nice suggestion Mnb! Yes, I do have the Kings Indian in my arsenal and love it as an ansrew to 1)d4! I will look into the transposition to the Robatsch! Thanx!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #3 - 10/31/05 at 14:59:20
Post Tools
Quote:
I don't think that the Pirc is refuted !
But the white have many ways to play against it. Perhaps too many...  ???
For the attacks of pawns (like austrian attack) in Pirc or in King's indian (4 pawns), you can look at GM Vaisser's games who wrote a book on it (and find for white many ways to attack !).
Good search !
David

I thought that Vaisser was a 1. d4 player.  Does he also play 1. e4 and the Austrian?  I have his book on the 4 Pawns Attack (versus the KID), but it would be useless on the subject of the Pirc.  Everything is different with White's pawn on c4, of course.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 10/30/05 at 21:16:06
Post Tools
If you also have the KID on your repertoire, you might consider the transposition via the Robatsch:
1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 (3.f4 c5!?) d6 (c5!?) 4.f4 Nc6 (Michael Ayton favours a6) 5.Be3 Nf6
or 1.e4 d6 2.d4 g6 3.Nc3 (3.f4 c5!?) c6 4.f4 d5!? this is not a loss of tempo, as the bishop is in the Gurgenidze Defence better on f8 than on g7.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

dgvincent
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #1 - 10/29/05 at 05:05:56
Post Tools
I don't think that the Pirc is refuted !
But the white have many ways to play against it. Perhaps too many...  ???
For the attacks of pawns (like austrian attack) in Pirc or in King's indian (4 pawns), you can look at GM Vaisser's games who wrote a book on it (and find for white many ways to attack !).
Good search !
David

I win ... when I don't lose !
IP Logged

DAX

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ..........

Austrian Attack & the Pirc
10/28/05 at 19:14:42
Post Tools
AGainst 1.)e4 I have taken to the the Pirc. I love the opening but it seems that when everytime the game reaches move 4 white always plays f4! I can't remember ever having to play the classical or any other variation in the Pirc. From my readings the Austrian is the singlemost danger to this opening in general! My success against the Austrian is not to good but I'M sticking with the Pirc! I guess what I'M getting at is has there been any new theory to give black better fighting chances against the AA? It would seem that the Pirc has disapeared from top grandmaster play.....for a reason I guess! Are their any top gun grandmasters currently exploring Pirc theory? If not does it mean the Pirc is just out of fasion or  (gulp!) has it been refuted??????

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo