Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Embarasment (Read 2229 times)
basqueknight
Ex Member

Re: Embarasment
Reply #5 - 11/08/05 at 08:50:38
Post Tools
Sorry for the delayed reaction bladez ill check my score sheet when i get home. But what i can tell you is that a move before i was going to play f5 he played g4 and i was like what!?

Oh and part of my problem was putting my F knight on D7 beofre f5 and not on e8 which looks alot better and i would still have the chance to play f5 even though accurate defence after words would be required as white keeps castleing options open for both sides quite a while.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #4 - 11/05/05 at 00:38:27
Post Tools
Alumbrado,

Thanks for the interesting ideas.  Of course, I've seen them before but I always considered the h3 system for White to be slow, cumbersome, and no big deal for Black.  But you have an excellent point about those players of the Black side who single-mindedly pursue ...f5.

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #3 - 11/03/05 at 11:52:55
Post Tools
@basque,

What are the inital 6-8 moves of the game.  I want to pin point exactly which h3 system was used.  There are more than one set up that uses the h3 theme.  I pledge to provide information to help my fellow KID players.

Long live the King's Indian.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/03/05 at 09:28:01
Post Tools
i would love to look at the ebooks but alas my money goes to school and not chess publishing. Maybe some day though.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 11/03/05 at 04:29:55
Post Tools
It is a quite tricky system for Black to handle, especially if he has his heart set on a Mar del Plata style kingside pawn roller.  The point of the g4/e4 pawn duo is to meet ...f5 by capturing twice and then trying to plant a piece (preferably a knight) on e4.  Then White has ideas of playing f2-f4 himself and/or bringing pressure to bear down the g-file, and suddenly it is Black's king which is under attack, not White's.

I have played this system with White myself and one of the main reasons is that it annoys the hell out of the one-dimensional KID players out there who think that a kingside attack is the be-all and end-all.  You have to learn to play in the centre and on the queenside as well, guys! Smiley

Incidentally, it is not just in the h3 system that the idea of g2-g4 crops up - it is common also in the Averbakh and Petrosian systems to name but two - indeed, I would argue that thematically these three systems should be grouped together, as White willingly blocks the centre and tries to restrain Black's kingside counterplay.

Even in the Mar del Plata, White is not obliged to sit still and let the pawns come rolling towards him: he can try to throw g2-g4 into the equation there as well to put a spanner in Black's works.

There is no simple solution to Black's problems, but it is nothing to be afraid of, as long as Black knows what he is doing.  This is a matter of learning not just specific lines, but typical plans and counter-measures.

Check out the e-books, they will give you some pointers - and go through some games, too, to see what strong Black players do when faced with this sort of plan.

Of course you may have already done this; if so, are there any particular problems you have found?

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Embarasment
11/02/05 at 23:34:26
Post Tools
Ok so i am a kings indian player right now and shall stick with it for a while. Somthing happened in this round which im ashamed of. I lost to some strange sideline in the Kings Indian. With an h3 and g4! This move itself made me a bit TOed (ticked off).

Any way i wont post the game as i am quite ashamed of it. But can any one give me the type of ideas i should go for in this type of position. Or is there some sort of instant eqaulizer for black?

As allways drop your lines and comments and i will be most appreciative.

Peace

Basqueknight

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo