Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Delchev/Semkov book (Read 114281 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: The Delchev/Semkov book
Reply #13 - 02/02/06 at 08:38:47
Post Tools
Interesting words about the English attack Semkov! I want to believe, and now I am tempted... I may have to get the book now to see for myself!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #12 - 02/02/06 at 08:10:30
Post Tools
Semkov,
Do you have the isbn number of the book? That way I can easily find it once it has shipped. Most of the internet bookshops have a really screwed up way of registering their titles making it difficult to find them.

Just read through the introduction and this looks very interesting, especially in combination with the format used.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Semkov(Guest)

Reply #11 - 02/01/06 at 22:51:57
Post Tools
Keano,
If you are affraid of the English attack, you simply have no better choice than the Taimanov - Black's position is much more scary in the Najdorf version of it! The difference is that the Bf8 is free to go to b4. We do not defend Judit's Ne7, but Ne5! I can only say that a friend of mine (a GM) who was the first to read the book, said that he was going to migrate to "our" repertoire immediately.

IP Logged

Semkov(Guest)

Reply #10 - 02/01/06 at 22:38:41
Post Tools
We'll offer "The Safest Sicilian" at the website in 5-6 days. It will fly to America on Saturday and will be delivered by UPS ground so you could get it soon. The book is sent also to three major vendors in England by post and to Niggemann by plane - he has it already.
As for White's deviations on move 2 - there are tons of books that cover this subject, but practically none on the Taimanov the way Delchev plays it. Another point is that a GM with 2660+ Elo does not prepare for things like a Closed Sicilian. He can easily get a normal position and outplay the opponent.
By the way, now I'm trying to produce the opposite book - "The sharpest Sicilian" based on the Najdorf. Principally the best Bulgarian experts on that GM Kiril Georgiev and GM Kolev ardently agreed to defend Black's honour, but Kiril is extremely busy winning in Gibraltar now (8 out of 9) and hopefully at the Aeroflot later. Still there is a chance that we'll see such a book.

IP Logged

dsanchez

24.Nh1!?N

Reply #9 - 01/30/06 at 22:50:39
Post Tools
This book looks interesting.  Mr. Delchev needs to brush up on his classics, though:

"I think that Fischer said that it is all very simple in the Dragon -- White opens up the h-file, sacrifices the exchange, check, check, and mate!"

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #8 - 01/27/06 at 11:37:03
Post Tools
It all sounds rosy - "The Safest Sicilian" but at the top levels it really seems like the English Attack has become the complete answer to the Taimanov. Judit Polgar got a hammering everytime she tried it in San Luis, admittedly she might have been a bit rusty however the losses were brutal and scary.

I was thinking of getting this book but I just can´t believe in the Taimanov enough at this moment - Anand seems to have moved away from it, and from playing through the latest games on the databases I get the feeling Black runs out of decent moves after a while whereas the White initiative continues on. The blurb on this book says something about playing on the f-file for Black - but the cynic in me just cannot believe!!

Now before someone replies and says it, I know I wont be playing Topalov or Leko or Anand tomorrow, but still it would give me some comfort if I knew my opening system was solid and sound.

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #7 - 01/27/06 at 10:00:24
Post Tools
Actually, against 2. a3 the setup with e6 and Bb4: and Nge7 seems best according to Bezgodov.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #6 - 01/27/06 at 09:51:36
Post Tools
I spoke to the BCM Chess Shop about it yesterday - they received an e-mail about it from the publishers earlier in the week and their consignment is on its way as we speak ... so really very hot off the press ...

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #5 - 01/26/06 at 20:04:09
Post Tools
When was the book released? I have not seen it on Bookshops or announced on the internet?

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #4 - 01/26/06 at 12:49:46
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 01/26/06 at 09:09:06:
(Why do you think they skipped the white deviations at the second move?)

i wondered about that too. it wouldn't take alot more effort. Maybe they don't have anything against 2. a3  Wink

Initially my impression from the publisher's blurb was that the Schevnigen was going to be recommended if White goes for Be2/0-0, but it looks like they prefer the pure Taimanov with 8... Bb4 9. Na4 Be7, which is solid enough, but has less winning chances than 8... d6 which i would have liked to read more about. Perhaps space was a constraint. IM Sommerbauer on chessbase taimanov/paulsen CD also prefers 8.. d6, though he did not cover it on the CD!

By the way, it seems from the web site that a game collection of Dreev is in the pipeline.. surely a must for every 1. d4/caro kann player!

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 01/26/06 at 09:55:40
Post Tools
It seems to me the book covers quite a lot of ground!  Many Sicilian repertoire books only focus on the position after 4.Nxd4 (eg. the many Najdorf repertoire books).  Don't forget that by covering 3.c3 Delchev and Semkov are effectively covering 2.c3 as well, which is White's principal anti-Sicilian (against a 2...e6 player).  And if your opponent plays the Morra Gambit you can transpose back into the line recommended here with (1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3) 3...Nf6(!)

All you really have to do is work out a defence to the Closed Sicilian and Grand Prix after 2.Nc3 e6 (actually, given the Taimanov move order recommended here, you could play 2...Nc6, although you would also then have to be prepared for 3.Bb5!?).  It is perhaps a shame that the book doesn;t give, say, 10 pages to covering some basic set-ups for Black, but it is not too hard to work something out - have a look at your database for Delchev's games after 2.Nc3 to see what he does!

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/26/06 at 09:09:06
Post Tools
Thanks. It looks very promising. I'll get it asap.

(Why do you think they skipped the white deviations at the second move?)

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

ubiyca
YaBB Newbies

Reply #1 - 01/26/06 at 07:26:22
Post Tools
It's 220 pages - here's the link to the detailed table of contents: http://www.chess-stars.com/graphics/eshop/books_special/The_Safest_Sicilian.pdf

vbhat.wordpress.com
IP Logged

Alias
God Member

The Delchev/Semkov book
11/11/05 at 08:31:48
Post Tools
From http://www.chess-stars.com/forthcoming_books.html :

"A complete Sicilian repertoire for Black after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6. This books is planned for the end of December. The author GM Delchev (Elo 2669) together with IM Semkov offers a solid and well tested over the years weapon against 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3, based on his own repertoire. He analyses all major continuations for White as 3.Nc3 Nc6 4.Bb5, 3.d3, 3.b3, 3.c3, 3.c4, 3.b4 as well as 3.d4 cd4 4.Nd4 Nc6. This system is more positional than the Najdorf and one can play it without daily updates and fixes in long forced variations, so typical for other Sicilian lines. It also offers a bridge to Scheveningen schemes which are rather risky in their straightforward versions with early d6. "

How many pages?

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo