Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Best Grob players (Read 6334 times)
CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Re: The Best Grob players
Reply #19 - 02/21/06 at 16:31:05
Post Tools
Erm, the setup may be seriously in 3 minute online games, but with two hours on the clock, it's another matter. I rarely lose blitz games against 1.g4, and the one time I faced it OTB, it was my opponent who was on the wrong side of a 15 move miniature (Basman - "Who's afraid of the Romford Countergambit?"... well, my opponent is now. He's not played the grob again since.)

The Grob is probably unrefuted, and it's a laugh to play, but I don't think there's much more to be said about it than that. I'd prefer 1.h4 (and have played it on IECC with success).

Regards,
Craig

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Alex
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 02/21/06 at 12:40:07
Post Tools
For people who are laughing at 1.g4... I'm ready to challenge anyone to the game of 3 min on any chess server (ICC; WCN; USChessLiVE; chessanytime.com; buho21...). This setup is serious.

I can add that a Russian IM Nikolai Vlassov is regularly playing this move both - OTB and internet games... he has written a nice article on his web-page
http://bazar-wokzal.narod.ru/Debut/Grob/grob.htm ... Unfotunately it's in Russian... But you can try to use online translators: www.translate.ru

1.g4 d5 2.Bg2 e5 3.h3      c6 4.d4 e4      we get a french defense with reversed colours and with the Queenside Bishop free to move outside the pawn chain (squares g5 or f4)...

There are many traps in this opening. And 1.g4 may help you to increase your collection of wins under 10 moves... The drawback - you start to get used to win without fight.

Reason: players who conduct Black pieces think that this is not the way a chess game can be played. Because they don't know the hidden tactical and strategical motives of this setup they are quicklyout of the game... If you know 1.g4 and your opponent no. Then Black will be fighting on the enemy territory. If yes... I don't know any forced refutation of 1.g4...

From strategic point of view g4 weakens severely squares on the King's flank: f4, h3, h4... That's especially obvious when Black Knight comes to h4... if White moves his pawn "e", then the square f3 is also weak...

But... this shouldn't dissappoint White... There are more important factors in the game. And Black needs much time to use these strategical failures in White's position.

Good luck in playing 1.g4!

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #17 - 02/15/06 at 13:03:32
Post Tools
Well, with such a repertoire you could argue Duckworth was already playing poker even when he was still playing chess...  Grin

IP Logged

red lance(Guest)

Reply #16 - 02/15/06 at 04:33:49
Post Tools
WinkI had forgotten about William Duckworth,thanks Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Geof_Strayer
YaBB Newbies

Reply #15 - 02/13/06 at 02:37:05
Post Tools
I would just like to add the name of William Duckworth to the list of notable Grob players.  Although he used it more for blitz than tournament play, Duckworth was a strong master (peak rating around 2500 USCF) and beat a lot of strong players both with 1.g4 and with 1.c4 g5!?.  (I say "was" only because Duckworth plays more poker than chess these days.)

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #14 - 02/02/06 at 05:42:59
Post Tools
I do not play 1-minute chess.

YIM  
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #13 - 01/31/06 at 03:25:41
Post Tools
Especially in 1 min games  Cheesy

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #12 - 01/30/06 at 22:03:43
Post Tools
RedLance wrote on 11/19/05 at 20:52:36:
CheesyAlmost forgot 2 other great Grob players
      The Greek Skembris
 And Lev Zilbermintz 8)

I have a lot of experience playing the Grob, 1 g4!  with White;  the Borg, 1...g5, with Black;  and the Myers Defense, 1 c4 g5, with Black. Apart from me, there are a few other Grob players:

NM Yefim Treger of New York. He recently defeated Jeffrey Tannenbaum (2100) in a regular time control game with 1 Nf3 g5 2 Nxg5  e5, the Herrstrom Gambit. I have seen Yefim play 1 g4 against lower rated players and 1 e4 g5 as well.

Naguib Gebran of New York also sometimes plays 1 g4, but not often.

The Grob is very much misunderstood when it comes to strategy and tactics.  This opening requires a combined knowledge of tactics, positional play, and fianchetto defenses. If you know these, you can win with the Grob.

YIM  
IP Logged

micawber(Guest)

Reply #11 - 01/30/06 at 19:37:55
Post Tools
As for Grob not winning a tournament in 1937. I know he was involved in several curious accidents.
In one tournament he reached a winning position against Flohr. Flohr looked at him and saw him make a gesture as if playing on was superfluous. Flohr extended his hand over the board as a token of his resignation. They shook hands and Flohr congratulated him. Grob asked: Why congratulate me, after all I had the better position". Flohr suddenly realising what was happening answered: "Welll I congratulated myself" and happily jotted down 0.5-0.5 on his scoresheet. Smiley

IP Logged

RedLance
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #10 - 11/19/05 at 20:52:36
Post Tools
CheesyAlmost forgot 2 other great Grob players
      The Greek Skembris
  And Lev Zilbermintz 8)

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #9 - 11/19/05 at 18:44:28
Post Tools
Quote:
Maybe I'm being a killjoy, but am I the only one that's noticed that 2.f3 is quite convincingly refuted by...

2...f6!!

Excellent find Craig!  I can't wait for Batsford's next book, "The Anti-Grob Revealed" by Craig Evans, with a forward written by Lost "Junk Detector" Highway.

- Lost (JD) Highway

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #8 - 11/19/05 at 17:55:17
Post Tools
Quote:
Best move after 1. g4 e5 is f3 I think, with a quick win.

Maybe I'm being a killjoy, but am I the only one that's noticed that 2.f3 is quite convincingly refuted by...

2...f6!!

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/18/05 at 22:03:38
Post Tools
Im no god but i would be interested in seeing your games in this line. Especially those 2.f3 games which i must admit looks rather odd. But i am open to looking at anything.

Oh and i would have to say Bloodgood BTW. His games are rather interesting to go over. I think though that if any one were to take 10 minutes and have an engine running they might be able to but your grob with little effort. I know this because i had a similar situation at the Michigan open. My opponent though was black and played the Borg! He had played both all tournament long. So i took a look with my computer and was ready to go. Here is the game:

[Event "Michigan Open Booster"]
[Site "Flint, MI"]
[Date "2005.09.05"]
[Round "7.13"]
[White "Ormechea, John-Marc"]
[Black "Van Horn, DeWayne"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B00"]
[WhiteElo "1044"]
[BlackElo "1304"]
[PlyCount "77"]
[EventDate "2005.09.02"]
[EventType "swiss"]
[EventRounds "7"]

1. e4 g5 2. d4 h6 3. Bc4 d6 4. Nc3 c6 5. Be3 b5 6. Bd3 a5 7. f4 Nf6 8. e5 Ng4
9. Qe2 b4 10. Ne4 Na6 11. exd6 Be6 12. fxg5 Bg7 13. gxh6 Rxh6 14. Bxh6 Bxh6 15.
Nc5 Nxc5 16. dxc5 exd6 17. Bf5 Ne5 18. Bxe6 Qf6 19. Bxf7+ Kxf7 20. Nf3 Bf4 21.
Nxe5+ dxe5 22. Rd1 Rh8 23. Rd7+ Ke8 24. Rd6 Qg5 25. Rxc6 Kd7 26. Rd6+ Ke7 27.
Qc4 Bg3+ 28. Kd1 Qh5+ 29. Qe2 Qg5 30. Qc4 Qh5+ 31. Kc1 Bf4+ 32. Kb1 Qf5 33.
Rhd1 Rxh2 34. Rd7+ Qxd7 35. Rxd7+ Kxd7 36. Qd5+ Kc7 37. Qd6+ Kb7 38. c6+ Ka7
39. Qc7+ 1-0

It was interesting but i dont think that i would recomend all the crazy pawn moves. Need some pieces out too. I was up set with my self for waisting a few tempi but i got over it after words.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #6 - 11/18/05 at 15:11:37
Post Tools
Quote:
Well I've got a 100% winning score in tournaments with the Grob with both White and Black, so I must be the best player  Wink

Some plan with e5, Ne7, Ng6 probing the holes created by g4 seems fine for Black.

JEH -

I like your style, but some of the gods will spot your claim "with a quick win" and freak out when they see you have not backed it up with reams of analysis or database dreck.  They'll challenge you to prove your claim and "enlighten" everyone.   Grin  Sure, you might expect that they would actually put the position on a board in front of them and look at it in three dimensional form, but usually, they do not.  They prefer to paw through a database to find out what they should say.   Roll Eyes

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #5 - 11/18/05 at 14:09:57
Post Tools
Well I've got a 100% winning score in tournaments with the Grob with both White and Black, so I must be the best player  Wink

Some plan with e5, Ne7, Ng6 probing the holes created by g4 seems fine for Black.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo