Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Barry Attack Bibliography (Read 40698 times)
Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Re: Barry Attack Bibliography
Reply #28 - 12/10/12 at 13:36:56
Post Tools
tafl wrote on 12/09/12 at 21:14:38:
Milner-Barry certainly was one of the Bletchley Park code breakers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_associated_with_Bletchley_Park.

It is surely a bit ironic that we have people who have mistakenly ascribed the Barry Attack to Sir Stuart Milner-Barry,  whilst many ignore his real and important contribution to Nimzo-Indian theory: 4 Qc2 Nc6 with the plan of ...d6 and ...e5. As I wrote in another thread:

IMHO Zurich variation is a misnomer and 4 Qc2 Nc6 (4 Qb3 Nc6 often transposes) should be attributed to the English player Milner-Barry who, according to the Oxford Companion, first played it at Hastings 1928-9 (Premier Reserves). For the next two decades it was one of the most popular lines against 4 Qc2, and featured frequently in the games of many of the best players of the time, such as Alekhine, Keres, Reshevsky, and Najdorf, as well as Milner- Barry's friend and long-time sparring partner Hugh Alexander, who used it to draw with Fine and to beat Euwe (who was probably the greatest apostle of 4 Qc2 in the 1930s-50s).

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #27 - 12/10/12 at 10:28:04
Post Tools
John Cox - didn't know about the Cockney rhyming slang is that true? It would make sense. I talked with Mark Hebden one time about the Barry attack but never asked him how it got the name.

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #26 - 12/09/12 at 21:14:38
Post Tools
Milner-Barry certainly was one of the Bletchley Park code breakers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_associated_with_Bletchley_Park.

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 12/09/12 at 20:55:38
Post Tools
Good Lord, Smyslov Fan, how can you possibly not have heard of Sir Stuart?! Wasn't he one of the Bletchley code-breakers, hence the Sir? Certainly one of the grand old men of British chess, anyway (at least to someone of my generation; of course to Blackburne he was probably a kid in short trousers, and to Mieses a polite young man).

Surely the name Barry Attack originates with Mark Hebden and was his own preferred name, wasn't it? I'd definitely prefer it over Hebden Pseudo-London, or anything of that nature.

Barry btw is Cockney rhyming slang, I believe - Barry White, you see. Take a butchers on wikipedia if you don't know what I mean.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #24 - 12/05/12 at 16:07:18
Post Tools
That would be just before Hebden took it up I think! The survey title was probably reflecting the Murshed game where he hammered somone with the h4-h5 business. Rogers picked it up himself also for a bit.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #23 - 12/05/12 at 15:22:28
Post Tools
Well, Ian Rogers (another significant figure in this context, I believe) called it "Murshed's Anti-KID System" when he did a Yearbook article on it, albeit about 20 years ago.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #22 - 12/05/12 at 10:56:45
Post Tools
Paddy - the Capablanca-Yates game is a great game by Capa but (not surprisingly) Whites opening play doesn't stand up to modern day standards. A pity, because Capablancas concept was nice.

TN - yes Murshed played one of the famous games but never really heard of it being called after him. In all fairness given the amount of games Mark Hebden has played over the years against patzers and GM's alike, it really deserves to be named after him, and perhaps will be in the future when we're all dead and gone and sensible people come along to rename the openings.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #21 - 12/05/12 at 00:45:17
Post Tools
I'd always thought 'Murshed Attack' was the correct name.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #20 - 12/04/12 at 13:08:28
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 12/03/12 at 16:28:45:
Yes, the name Barry Attack I never liked - it would be OK if people actually knew what "Barry" meant but even most native English speakers would not have a clue.

A more appropriate name would be "Hebden Pseudo-London Attack" or something along those lines.

I seem to recall that in an article in the British Chess Magazine some years ago Graham Burgess called this opening the "Hebden-Hodgson Attack".

The opening is also mentioned in Shereshevsky's legendary "The Soviet Chess Conveyer" (1994) in his chapter on "One-Game Openings" (i.e. surprise weapons, suitable for employing perhaps once per tournament!). He wrote that his interest in this line was aroused by the famous game Capablanca-Yates from New York 1924.

In his book "Chess Secrets" (1952) Edward Lasker mentions how uncertain even strong players were in the 1920s about how best to deal with the new ideas on opening strategy coming out of Europe. In his first round game at New York 1924, as White vs Maroczy, Lasker opted for 1 d4 Nf6 2 Nf3 g6 3 Nc3, and in later rounds he was  imitated by Capablanca and Marshall. The line continued to be played through the 1920s but was eclipsed by the c4, g3 system advocated by Alekhine.

However, as with many lines of this type, it seems that Tartakower might well have been the pioneer (vs Wahltuch, London BCF 1922).

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #19 - 12/04/12 at 11:01:16
Post Tools
urusov wrote on 11/23/05 at 20:08:50:
I have posted a bibliography on the Barry Attack:
Any further suggestions -- especially to online sources -- are most welcome.

There's now a playable Barry Attack eBook (in CBV form, written by GMs Eric Prié & Aaron Summerscale, with some further annotations by Richard Palliser) on the main site. Smiley

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #18 - 12/03/12 at 16:28:45
Post Tools
Yes, the name Barry Attack I never liked - it would be OK if people actually knew what "Barry" meant but even most native English speakers would not have a clue.

A more appropriate name would be "Hebden Pseudo-London Attack" or something along those lines.

IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #17 - 07/06/06 at 19:37:29
Post Tools
Just read throught this thread, and the linked bibliography by Mike Goeller (Mike: really like your Kenilworthian blog and you're Urusov Gambit page is outstanding - you converted me to an 'old school' (i.e., 3.d4 instead of 3.d3) Bishop's Opening Player on the spot!).  I had no idea that the Barry Attack was not named after someone named Barry, but meant Rubbish Attack.  Shocked  What a wonderful revelation!  Smiley

"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates."  -Jay Leno

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #16 - 07/06/06 at 08:23:37
Post Tools
I hope I didn't give the impression that my list of notables who played the Barry was comprehensive.

Yes, I was familiar with GM Suetin's play.  There are quite a few others I didn't mention.  Pace to those I offended by omitting their contributions!

IP Logged

M. Pytel
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 07/05/06 at 19:01:59
Post Tools
It was also famous Russian GMI A. Suetin who was using the Barry Attack in the 60/70 s. of the last century. He also taught that line to his friend K. Sznapik from Poland, brother of the ex-Polish champion Alexander. I let me remind his game played against... M. Hebden in 1986, in which the latter sacrified his queen for a bishop! I hope that GMI M. Hebden won't hit the roof seeing it here. Wink

K. Sznapik - M. Hebden Cappelle la Grande 1986

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Bf4 bg7 5. e3 00 6. Be2 c6 7. Ne5 Ne8 8. e4 f6 9. Nf3 g5 10. Bg3 de4 11. Ne4 g4 12. Bc4+ e6 13. Ng1 f5 14. Bb8 Rb8 15. Nc5 Kh8 16. c3 Nd6 17. Bd3 b6 18. Nb3 c5 19. Qe2 Qc7 20. Bc2 cd4 21. Nd4 b5 22. 000 e5 23. Nb3 a5 24. h3 a4 25. 26. hg4 ab2+ 27. Kb1 Qc3 28. gf5 Qc2+!! 29. Kc2 Bf5+ 30. Kb3 Rfc8 31. Ngf3 Bc2+ 32. Kb4 e4 33. Nb1 ef3 34. gf3 Rc4+ 35. Qc4 bc4+ 0-1

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #14 - 07/04/06 at 19:33:14
Post Tools
The anger and disappointment has already left my body...
U are forgiven! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo