Latest Updates:
Normal Topic A new look at the Holey Wohly (Read 4394 times)
CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Re: A new look at the Holey Wohly
Reply #5 - 11/30/05 at 05:14:40
Post Tools
I've ventured the line once, in a club championship game this summer against a 2050 or so opponent (who is probably worth more except for his inability to play quietly and his penchant for time trouble). He chose 3.Nc3 (forcing ...Nc7 earlier than probably preferable unless black wants shattered pawns), followed by Be3, Qd2 and a huge kingside attack. I'll try to dig out the game score tonight.

As much as I'd love this opening to be playable, partly due to loving this sort of weird stuff and partly because I'm a huge fan of Tony Miles, it seems that after 3.Nc3 intending to simply develop and then attack on the kingside, white has a more than comfortable edge.

Regards,
Craig

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #4 - 11/29/05 at 13:51:43
Post Tools
Maybe u know this but TJs site (which calls it "The Belgian Blue" by the way) has an article on this crazy (but maybe playable!??!) variation:

http://hem.passagen.se/tjmisha/belgianblue.html

As it is mentioned in the article, chesscafe also had an article on it some years(?) ago...

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/29/05 at 12:54:09
Post Tools
I give props to any one who would play this off beat stuff!

Thats why i play things like the owens on occasion or the st.george or even c6 then nf6.

Cudos to the off beat lovers. We truley love this game for what it is.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #2 - 11/29/05 at 06:18:58
Post Tools
Since I wrote the above I've noticed the comments on the 'De Bruycker Defence', as it's called, on ChessPublishing (B12). Mark Hebden is quoted there as recommending as a bust 3 Ba6 Qa5 4 Nc3 Qa6 5 Nge2, when White has a lead in development and can assault Black with the f-pawn. This hasn't always worked in practice, I see, but then the sample is pretty small.

Is this the end for the 'Holey Wohly'?

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #1 - 11/28/05 at 13:39:24
Post Tools
I don't think Miles would ever have claimed to have created this opening system, which was played before him by de Bruycker and Wohl himself, among others. I believe he did create the name, though, and also the "Basmaniac Dutch" interpretation with ...Nh6 and ...f5.

A quick look at the statistics suggests that Black hasn't done at all badly with the Holey Wohly in the twenty-first century. Is this because it's not so bad, and/or because it's apt to produce fluid and strategically complicated positions which will favour the more inventive player? What do people think, and what's White's best try for preserving an advantage?

IP Logged

Longspur
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

A new look at the Holey Wohly
11/28/05 at 10:23:37
Post Tools
The "Holey Wohly" opening:

1. e4 c6
2. d4 Na6

The Knight is eventually headed for c7.  3. B:a6 is answered by 3. . . . Qa5+, which leaves Black with the Bishop pair and an intact pawn structure.

This opening was created by Tony Miles, who was a very witty chess writer, and who also played some fun stuff OTB.  If nothing else, this opening has a really cool name.  That should count for something, right ?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo