Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A Dragon Question for Mr Dearing (Read 5991 times)
madhacker

Re: A Dragon Question for Mr Dearing
Reply #12 - 04/11/06 at 14:16:07
Post Tools
Correct - it was my line you were querying!

Adam

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #11 - 04/11/06 at 00:49:23
Post Tools
Thats just the handle of the guy who gave the previous line that you quoted(!) -- he signed the post Adam.

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #10 - 04/10/06 at 21:48:05
Post Tools
I don't not know who is madhacker, and when or where he gave any line.

Regards
XChess1971
Smiley

IP Logged

wonkey_donkey
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #9 - 04/10/06 at 20:07:41
Post Tools
19...Be6 transposes to the line madhacker gave (if White continues with 18...Be6 19. Nxf6 Qxf6), doesn't it?

Tom

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #8 - 04/07/06 at 00:13:11
Post Tools
madhacker wrote on 04/06/06 at 23:17:37:

If 17. Nd5 e5 18. Nxf6! Qxf6 19.Nb3 Re6 20.Qe2 Rb4 21.c3 Rb6 22.g4 with an edge for white.

IP Logged

madhacker

Reply #7 - 04/06/06 at 23:17:37
Post Tools

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #6 - 03/25/06 at 17:01:05
Post Tools
[quote author=XChess1971 link=1138200099/0#5 date=1139699275]

Hello

I believe that going deeper 17.Nd5 should be very strong. A little disappointment on 12...Re8
Probably guys gotta look forward to 10...Rb8 or 10...Rc8 10.Bb3 Nxd4

Regards
XChess1971
Smiley

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #5 - 02/11/06 at 23:07:55
Post Tools
Hello Mr. Dearing

I am new in this forum. I just can really thanks Edward Dearing for considering one of my games as a possible model of play. I might have FM strenght. I used to play a lot of chess in my country Peru, but now I live in the US and everything is work here. I'll mention that my game is on page 41 wich was the Peru u-26 championchip 1997.
Besides this I gotta say that I play the dragon since 1987. So it's my specialty.

I made analysis of some key positions. I'm gonna suggest to everybody to check:
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.0-0-0 Rc8 11.Bb3 Ne5 12.Kb1 Re8 13.h4 h5 14.Bh6 Bxh6 15.Bxc4 Rxc4 16.Bxg7 Kxg7 17.g4 hxg4 18.h5 Rh8 19.hxg6 fxg6 20.f4 [KEY POSITION]

We got this position from Edward's book on page 131.
Edward suggested 20...e5, but we got no analysis, and my PC didn't feel like agreeing with that. If you use something like what I used a Fritz 8.0 on a 3000+ AMD PC for like 5 days, you we'll see the results. But I strongly recommend 20...Rxh1!.
Check it out yourselves putting your PC for analysis.

I'll try to get back the analisys I did before by putting to analyze those positions with stronger PCs that I have now, and we'll see the results.

I hope that in the future I can get more interesting analysis with my PCs, and in anycase if there is a possibility of exchange. We'll talk about it.

Regards
XChess1971
Smiley

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 02/06/06 at 21:21:12
Post Tools
And don't forget to send our good friend T a copy...

IP Logged

Fernando(Guest)

Reply #3 - 02/03/06 at 15:45:40
Post Tools
As I purchased recently your Nimzo book, I told myself that I have bought every book you have published (Gambit, Quality and Everyman). I believe the Dragon one was so good that you have guaranteed interest in anything you write.

As a Grunfeld player, the nimzo is somewhat dull (and your intro raises a lot of plausible counter-examples), but I believe your ability to explain the why of moves and plans is certainly extraordinary.

In this database age I believe it is the only current benefit of a book (although a HUGE one). Unfortunately other authors have either produced a string of lines (where an updated database is always going to be much better) or have ridiculous explanations of openings, given a crappy example too. The typical one involves a 200 rating difference where, of course, the weaker side gets outplayed.

It is amazing the difference in quality of opening books nowadays...

Keep up the good work!

IP Logged

Edward_Dearing

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 02/03/06 at 12:28:46
Post Tools
Hi guys,

Wow - I had no idea anybody paid any attention to my games any more, as I don't really have time to play. I only play 4NCL to spend time with my old uni team.

I do play the Modern a lot. It's not very good, but it's fantastic fun to play and a lot like the dragon in many thematic respects. I do still play the Dragon if the opportunity presents itself, but there are a few reasons why I have not been doing so:

1. Even before I wrote the book I found players would avoid the critical lines, or the open Sicilian altogether. It's different when you play a great deal, however when you only play 10 games a year you really don't want half of them to be c3/closed/Bb5+ Sicilians. These aren't good openings, but when I have the rare opportunity to play I really do want to enjoy my games and get in some creative tactics (as opposed to grinding down someone 200 points weaker than you for 6 hours in a rook ending).

2. I played the Dragon for years. I still have a great deal of faith in it, but I am getting a little bored and want to try some new things. Nothing to do with quality (hence the reason I play the Modern occasionally) just to do with variety. I have the same troubles with hobbies, academia, career etc - there's a lot out there to experience and I find it tough to stick with one thing.

3. Tactically I am quite a bit weaker now than I used to be. Long hours + not playing + doing very little chess work has a serious impact on my practical play. These days I need to get my head working from move 1 so that I can find my feet again by the middlegame.

I hope this helps, and I am more than willing to bat around Dragon ideas if people would like to, but as to the point raised I would attach more importance to the fact that players like Sakaev and Khalifman have recently gone back to the Dragon than I would on the fact that I am not playing it much.

Thanks very much for buying the book and for sharing your thoughts.

Best,
Ed

IP Logged

emoskow
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 01/25/06 at 15:01:47
Post Tools
can not speak for mr dearing but as a dragon player who wrote a book it is hard to always play the same thing. most dragons migrate and them come back, currently the dragon offers great chances while some lines are under pressure others are doing great i know have learned that by playing many subvariations it is nop longer easy to prepare for me. Eddie what do u think, all in all still a great form of chess i think, whish tony was around to chime in.

IP Logged

snakebite

I Love ChessPublishing!

A Dragon Question for Mr Dearing
01/25/06 at 14:41:39
Post Tools
To Mr Dearing I bought your Dragon book 11 months ago and it has increased my understanding no end. A club mate also bought your book despite his insistence that the Dragon is unsound. He outrates me by 20 BCF points yet I have a 50% score against him with the Dragon. We saw you play a Modern a couple of times in the 4NCL last season and my club mate states that this is proof that the Dragon is no good - someone writes abook about it and stops playing it. I have argued that if I wrote a book I'd change my opening repetoire to avoid everyone else knowing what my opening prep was. Could you please settle this argument. Many thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo