Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Budapest 4. Bf4 g5 (Read 2219 times)
Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Budapest 4. Bf4 g5
Reply #2 - 07/04/07 at 12:51:12
Post Tools
Why is the g5 in Najdorf worse?? Huh

IP Logged

CraigEvans
YaBB Moderator

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Re: Budapest 4. Bf4 g5
Reply #1 - 02/06/06 at 13:00:17
Post Tools
I'll try to dig out a few of my old games with this line (one of which was played on IECC a few years back), but my impression is that it's just good for white. In a SWPL match last year my opponent seemed to find an improvement in one of the lines for white and, even though my play was atrocious, and was duly squashed, in the post-match analysis we couldn't really find any real improvements for black.

Also, I'm not up on the latest Najdorf theory but I thought the 8...g5 line was bordering on refuted a few years back?

Regards,
Craig

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Budapest 4. Bf4 g5
01/31/06 at 02:35:51
Post Tools
What's the best way for White to combat 4. Bf4 g5 in the Budapest gambit?  Compared to Najdorf 6. Be3 Ng4 7. Bg5 h6 8. Bh4 g5 line, 4... g5 in the Budapest doesn't seem that much worse.. certainly those were my thoughts during a recent game of mine which ended in a quick draw after i played 5. Bd2 (later Bc3), and swapped all the minor pieces off.  Roll Eyes

In the famous Van Wely-Mamedyarov game, White tried to keep all the minor pieces on with 5. Bg3 Bg7 6. e3 Ne5 7. Nc3 d6 8. h4 g4 9. Nge2, and probably should later try to castle queenside as pointed out by Flear on Chesspub, but Van Wely must have thought Black would have been too solid, certainly i don't see a straightforward plan for White...

Any thoughts? Help please!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo