Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) English Opening (Read 3206 times)
eric moskow(Guest)

Re: English Opening
Reply #11 - 02/28/06 at 11:07:22
Post Tools
if u want to do it poorly check my games

IP Logged

John Cox(Guest)

Reply #10 - 02/17/06 at 01:12:55
Post Tools
Seirawan or Petrosian in a more closed style than many of those mentioned are good models.

IP Logged

Andrew Brett(Guest)

Reply #9 - 02/16/06 at 09:34:42
Post Tools
Cheers for the info Blade II.  I'd forgotten about the 1c4 resigns game involving Fischer.

Andrew

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #8 - 02/15/06 at 19:41:13
Post Tools
As an English player I will second Korchnoi's games as he frequently employed the English.

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #7 - 02/12/06 at 23:14:48
Post Tools
Quote:
Have to correct MnB- Fischer did play 1 c4 against Polugayevsky in one game- it's annotated in his book in Grandmaster Preparation ( I think). From memory I think Polu came close to a win !

All the best with the English

No, Fischer was not close to losing.  However, there is a good point in saying why Fishcer played 1.c4 vs Lev,  he wanted to use Lev's special weapon against Lev himself.  In fact, this game was included in Lev's book exactly because Lev was supporting his statement to use your enemy's weapon vs the enemy himself.

Angry

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

Beetlejuice

Be careful out there!

Reply #6 - 02/12/06 at 18:39:18
Post Tools
Talking about Fischer playing 1. c4, it should be mentioned that he opened with 1. c4 in the famous - or should I say infamous - last round game of the Interzonal Palma di Mallorca 1970 against Panno, which went 1. c4 1-0 (Black resigned).

I has sometimes wrongly been claimed that Panno resigned because he considered it hopeless to defend against Fischer (who won the tournament with a 3.5 p. margin). This it not the case, his resignment was related to a protest against the tournament management.

(Sorry, that was somethat off topic).

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #5 - 02/10/06 at 15:09:22
Post Tools
Korchnoi's games as white is a games collection with a fair amount of English openings.

IP Logged

Andrew Brett(Guest)

Reply #4 - 02/09/06 at 19:55:19
Post Tools
Have to correct MnB- Fischer did play 1 c4 against Polugayevsky in one game- it's annotated in his book in Grandmaster Preparation ( I think). From memory I think Polu came close to a win !

All the best with the English

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 02/08/06 at 17:47:39
Post Tools
You could do a lot worse than look at the games of Joël Lautier.  Also Alex Chernin.  And further back, Ulf Andersson and Leonid Stein.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Viceroy

Reply #2 - 02/08/06 at 10:50:21
Post Tools
What I meant was a strong player who played c4 as  their main opening as white. Kasparov,Topalov seem to use c4 sometimes rather than regularly. I have Botvinnik's 100 games but only a half-dozen have c4 games. Perhaps that's the way it is then: lots of players use the English as a part time weapon rather than their number one opening .... apart from Tony Kosten Wink

I was looking for a sort of 'Uhlmann' for the English; maybe it doesn't exist!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 02/08/06 at 02:39:11
Post Tools
I have found games by: Karpov, Kasparov, Kramnik, Ivantsjuk, Gelfand, Topalov, Barejev, Spassky, Petrosjan, Botvinnik, Smyslov, Tal, Alekhine, Capablanca, and Euwe. You might rather ask: which strong player did not play 1.c4 or 1.Nf3/2.c4 ? Answer: Lasker and Spielmann. Fischer only played 1.c4 in his match against Spassky.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Viceroy

English Opening
02/07/06 at 15:15:02
Post Tools
Can someone give me the names of some famous players who used/use the English opening? Any game collections that have lots of good English opening games? Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: 02/08/06 at 10:43:00 by Viceroy »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo