Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bb5 Sicilian (Read 7243 times)
Alias
God Member

Re: Bb5 Sicilian
Reply #11 - 02/16/06 at 14:12:21
Post Tools

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #10 - 02/16/06 at 14:09:14
Post Tools
No - it is in Kaufman's book.  I think there is some on ChessPub too though if you are a subscriber.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

8arms

If you don't shoot, you
won't score!

Reply #9 - 02/16/06 at 13:02:49
Post Tools
alumbrado - do you have links to the 2... e6 3. b3 analysis?!

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #8 - 02/16/06 at 09:19:12
Post Tools
A lot of strong players have essayed 2...e6 3.b3, including Kasparov.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #7 - 02/16/06 at 04:08:16
Post Tools
Interesting suggestion Alumbrado! I was browsig through the bookstore late tonight & came across a copy of Kaufman's book. I did not buy it 'cause the wife was with me & she'd just role her eyes & utter 'yet another chess book' Roll Eyes Anyway through the quick browse the lines Kaufman suggests against these black replies are ways to get back into bb5 territory by transposition. This in of itself suggests that with some independent research one should be able to figure a way or find some obscure line to keep the game or steer it back into bb5 waters.....any of our modern super grandmasters research this yet??
« Last Edit: 02/16/06 at 15:14:14 by RotGut »  

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #6 - 02/14/06 at 16:30:40
Post Tools
RotGut wrote on 02/14/06 at 14:49:58:
BB5 Revealed fills the need for a basic overview of this Anti Sicilian. I'M about 1/2 through it and I can say I have a firm grasp on the material covered thus far. Since the BB5 is going to be my only weapon against the Sicilian it is going to require that I become very intimate with its workings and various lines! Any other books or publications you can suggest for mastership of this opening would prove helpful....

Well, if 3.Bb5(†) is going to be your only weapon, you are going to struggle against 2...e6, 2...g6, 2...Nf6, 2...a6 ... so really you should consider supplementing this with something on how to meet these lines.  Kaufman's Chess Advantage in Black and White gives a good overview of how to meet these lines with non-Open Sicilians.  If memory serves, he devotes a lot of space to 3.b3  against 2...e6, with 3.d3 Nc6 4.c3 Nge7 5.Be3!? as an alternative; he gives 3.c3 against 2...g6 and 2...a6; and 3.e5 Nd5 4.g3!? against 2...Nf6.

Of course there is a lot of other material there on a whole range of openings which you may or may not find relevant and this may influence you but if you just need a quick repertoire to deal with all Black's alternatives, it's probably as good a place to look as any.

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #5 - 02/14/06 at 14:49:58
Post Tools
BB5 Revealed fills the need for a basic overview of this Anti Sicilian. I'M about 1/2 through it and I can say I have a firm grasp on the material covered thus far. Since the BB5 is going to be my only weapon against the Sicilian it is going to require that I become very intimate with its workings and various lines! Any other books or publications you can suggest for mastership of this opening would prove helpful....

IP Logged

guidedbyvoices

Reply #4 - 02/13/06 at 19:40:12
Post Tools
RotGut wrote on 02/11/06 at 01:44:33:
I kind of liked the bb5 Sicilian so I just got MCDonalds book on this system. I hope that the above mentioned line is covered since I do not like over the board surprises Roll Eyes Anyway how is Mcdonalds book? I saw a copy of a BB5 book by Everyman that is new? How does this fair against Mcdonalds? ANy other BB5 information a newbie to this Anti SIcilian should know?

rotgut mcdonalds book doesnt cover this line. i dont think you can castigate him too much for this seeing as technically it isnt a Bb5 sicilian and at least he mentions it, which is more than some other books do. as an introduction to Bb5 systems in the sicilian, mcdonalds book is quite good and covers most of the main lines. the only problem i have with it is the scattergun treatment of the different lines, this is a problem with batsfords revealed series rather than mcdonald. one line which maybe he should have given more coverage to is 1e4 c5 2Nf3 Nc6 3Bb5 g6 40-0 Bg7 5c3 e5 6d4! which is only mentioned in the test positions at the back of the book and not in the main text at all.

@bladezII: what does baker say about the line 1e4 c5 2Nf3 e6 3Nc3 a6 4g3 b5 5Bg2 Bb7 6d4 cd 7Nxd4 b4 8Na4 Nf6. does he recommend Bg5 or 0-0, and if he recommends 0-0 whats his answer to Bxe4?

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #3 - 02/13/06 at 09:20:07
Post Tools
Quote:
So you have bought all the recent books on the Bb5 Sicilian and then you play 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 but Black plays ...e6 so you play 3.Nc3 hoping for Nc6 so then 4.Bb5 etc...

But what is best after 3.Nc3 a6 is 4.Be2!? any good? Any other ideas?

IM Baker covers this material really well in his book.  He suggests, and I have used it and still do, the following set-up  g3-Bg2 and opening the board with d4 instead of holding back the pawn and playing a closed Sicilian.  Vs  ..e6 this is a great idea.  The positions are much more comfortable to play in an open board than with the board shut in with the pawn on d3.  White still plays for a King-side attack if he wishes with f4-f5-g4-g5 etc.

This set-up is the same that GM Nigel Davies advocates in his book, "Taming the Sicilian" .

As a plan B, or as another option is to use the set-ups with 2.Nf3 then 3.b3.

IM Chris Baker's book also covers the 3.Bb5 systems

Angry

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #2 - 02/11/06 at 01:44:33
Post Tools
Ergh! Since settling on a 1)e4 as my main weapon as white I started compiling different lines against all the semi open defenses. The Advance against the French. The Caro meets my well prepared Panov Attack. AFter finishing preping lines for more uncoomon defenses such as the Pirc, Scandinaivian, Alehekine's Defense' etc. it was now time to tackle the Sicilian.

I kind of liked the bb5 Sicilian so I just got MCDonalds book on this system. I hope that the above mentioned line is covered since I do not like over the board surprises Roll Eyes Anyway how is Mcdonalds book? I saw a copy of a BB5 book by Everyman that is new? How does this fair against Mcdonalds? ANy other BB5 information a newbie to this Anti SIcilian should know?

IP Logged

guidedbyvoices

Reply #1 - 02/10/06 at 18:55:22
Post Tools
This is a very pertinent question for Rossilimo players. As to whether Be2 is any good I suppose it all depends on how you plan to follow it up. I generally play 4g3 b5 5Bg2 Bb7 and now 6d3 leads to a type of closed sicilian/kia system. Also possible is the sharp 6d4 cd 7Nd4 Nf6 80-0 b4 9Na4 Ne4 10Re1 d5 11Ne6! with a promising attack for white.
McDonald recommends 3b3 for the Bb5 sicilian player who is faced with 2..e6 but tbh this wouldnt appeal to me much. 3c3 and 3d4 are of course quite playable. It really depends on personal preference.
Just be aware that if you do reply to 1e4 c5 2Nf3 e6 with 3Nc3 Nc6 4Bb5 that you are losing a certain amount of flexibility compared with 1e4 c5 2Nf3 Nc6 3Bb5 e6 since 4Nc3 isnt necessarily the best move here.

IP Logged

Harvey Williamson

Bb5 Sicilian
02/10/06 at 16:02:57
Post Tools
So you have bought all the recent books on the Bb5 Sicilian and then you play 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 but Black plays ...e6 so you play 3.Nc3 hoping for Nc6 so then 4.Bb5 etc...

But what is best after 3.Nc3 a6 is 4.Be2!? any good? Any other ideas?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo