Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Journey into Lopez territory..... (Read 5281 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Journey into Lopez territory.....
Reply #10 - 02/28/06 at 10:22:16
Post Tools
Also got Lane's book now, looks decent.

But... I already saw a lot of important sidelines arent covered. Eg you will look in vain for Ne4 iso Nf5 in the Berlin and the main line in the Nge7 of the classical is put away as a sideline with a suboptimal choice by black. Also his 4 d3 suggestion in the Berlin is imo not really covered well. A whole game is dedicated to 4 .. Ne7 (like anyone would play that), while Bc5 is only covered in the sidelines with the line from "starting out" not included. Incidentally 4 .. a6 is not covered at all, which means that after 5 Ba4 (or Bxc6) you're out of book (none of the 3 .. a6 lines feature d3).

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #9 - 02/15/06 at 19:35:39
Post Tools
I just received a copy of Taulbut's How to Play the Ruy Lopez. I have to say it is a must for those, such as myself, who are making their first foray into the Lopez.  It covers all the major variations. It breaksdown each variation on the type of play, pawn structures, positional themes, & the plans for both white & black. I found a piece in the introduction where the different lines in the Lopez are broken down into types of positions such as open, closed, endgames, & fluid. This helped me in regards to which lines I will focus on due to my own style of play. I just finished the chapter on the closed Morphy defense. While the book is older I have to say the ideas contained within are a must for someone who is 'starting out.' Anyone else familiar with this work? How does it stand up to modern Lopez theory?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #8 - 02/14/06 at 20:10:45
Post Tools
The Lopez can be learnt in stages, playing d3 against some lines first (even 5. d3 in main line and maybe even d3 vs the Berlin) to get a repetoire up and running and then adding in sharper main line stuff to get d4 in one go as you progress. I wish I'd known this when I was first deciding on what to play against 1. ...e5!

I also like the idea of 8. d4 as an Anti-Marshall line since Black pretty much has to play 8. ...d6 and then 9. c3 Bg4 leads to a Closed Lopez position with less theory.

I'm working through the Gary Lane book and it has some good ideas for lines to avoid booked up Black players ready to reel out their favourite lines.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #7 - 02/14/06 at 14:08:55
Post Tools
There is also the book "starting out the Ruy Lopez" iirc by Shaw. Imo this is one of the best in this series (I only found the two by Gallager better). I use it together with the Khalifman books (Anand 1 and 2) as especially in the minor lines he gives some very nice alternatives, which allows me to cut corners on the minor lines. Eg he has a game in which white goes 4 d3 in the Schlieman and briefly explains the idea. I used that particular line 3 times now against our club's Schlieman addict (seems to be one on every club) with 3 points.

I also have Emms book, but to be honest that is gathering dust. Too many lines are not covered for a reportoire and there is too few explanations for a "beginners guide".

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Tater_Salad

the only prescription
is more cowbell

Reply #6 - 02/12/06 at 18:01:15
Post Tools
RotGut wrote on 02/12/06 at 02:53:02:
The Petrov.....it is one of those annoying & very boring openings.  I just main line it e4,e5 2nf3 nf6 3nxe5 d6 4nf3 nxe4 5 d4 and I await blacks choice of his sixth move.  If I'M to understand correctly if white has no issues with the draw in the Petrov than it is pretty much a forgone conclusion as to the end result of the game. I have not seen many Petrov's while watching  1.)e4 players in tourney competition.  Nevertheless I think just a basic understanding of the Petrov is enough to meet it....it is not an overtly aggressive opening.

Anyway...the Duras eh? Well might as well start off small!

i wouldn't recommend the duras if you already played the scotch or italian or something, but it makes a big difference. its just my philosophy that when taking on new material, its beneficial to concentrate on getting maximum result for your time. its really just a matter of statistics.

when playing for one of the many main lines of the ruy against e5, the majority of your games will be diverted before that point, and you will be facing a bird, a shleimann, a petrov, a philidor, or one of a few other things. the ruy lines you want might be the most common route, but the others combined will be the majority. however, even though there are all these numerous other routes, learning every single one of them is less time consuming than learning the ruy. so, for best results while you are still in the learning process, its better to knock out the deviations first , at least in my opinion anyway. then, once you feel comfortable playing against all the other stuff, you can really focus on the ruy proper.

IP Logged

photophore

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #5 - 02/12/06 at 13:19:32
Post Tools
Against Petroff , why not
1 e4 e5
2 Nf3 Nf6
3 Nxe5 d6
4 Nf3 Nxe4
5 Nc3   B has not better than 5...Nxc3 6 dxc3 , and now it's no more a Petroff ?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #4 - 02/12/06 at 11:33:36
Post Tools
I am venturing on the same journey. After 25 years playing chess, last year I decided to learn the Ruy. Too late you might say? No! I plan to be playing chess for at least another 25 years, so I might have learnt it by then  Wink

My starting point was Emms' "Easy Guide to the Ruy Lopez". This is a misleading title since it offers an uncompromising Mainline repetoire against all defences, offering a choice against some lines. Written in 1999, the lines still stand up well, however some latest Black tries e.g. 9. ...Bd7 in the Berlin defence endgame aren't there.

I've also got Khalifman's "Opening for White According to Anand" as a reference source since it is so detailed and fills in the missing lines in Emms book.

The best book on the Ruy IMO is "Mastering the Spanish with the Read and Play Method" by King and Ponzetto. It's a pure themes/strategies/ideas book. I wish more books like this were around.

I also have Gary Lane's book, which is next on my readng list.

As for the Petroff, I've used 5. c4 as suggested in Kaufman's "Chess Advantage in Black and White". An IM friend of mine suggested 5. Nc3 as an easy way to play for White if you don't want to learn lots of Theory. If you want to go main line though, there is the Khalifman books plus Kotronias's beating the Petroff, the latter being good in ideas/strategy.

Good luck on your journey. You are following the path of many great chess players, and many are travelling with you now.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #3 - 02/12/06 at 02:53:02
Post Tools
The Petrov.....it is one of those annoying & very boring openings.  I just main line it e4,e5 2nf3 nf6 3nxe5 d6 4nf3 nxe4 5 d4 and I await blacks choice of his sixth move.  If I'M to understand correctly if white has no issues with the draw in the Petrov than it is pretty much a forgone conclusion as to the end result of the game. I have not seen many Petrov's while watching  1.)e4 players in tourney competition.  Nevertheless I think just a basic understanding of the Petrov is enough to meet it....it is not an overtly aggressive opening.

Anyway...the Duras eh? Well might as well start off small!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 02/11/06 at 20:29:15
Post Tools
I would recommend to answer one question first: what to do against the Petrov?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Tater_Salad

the only prescription
is more cowbell

Reply #1 - 02/11/06 at 20:09:24
Post Tools
i would recommend reading up on the duras, not because its better than the main line ruy, but because you're probably going to face as much anti-ruy stuff as anything else. it would be something that's solid, but more managable than trying to learn all the main lines while also learning all the various early deviations like the schliemann, bird, exchange, etc.

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Journey into Lopez territory.....
02/11/06 at 01:31:02
Post Tools
Well I'M returning to 1e4 & that means time to brush up on the Ruy. I just picked up a copy of Lane's new book. I also managed to find an ole copy of Talburt's book. Both seem basic in their approach and stress ideas rather than theory. This is fine since I'M new to the Ruy. How do the above mentioned books hold up guys? ANy recomendations you can make to this newbie to the Ruy would be great? Any books or software that may proove helpful? Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo