Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) best book on the modern and pirc? (Read 39883 times)
amadjambo
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: best book on the modern and pirc?
Reply #10 - 02/20/06 at 19:16:32
Post Tools
I've been working my way through Pirc Alert by Chernin recently and would rate the book as excellent for those looking to learn a new opening from scratch.  The book is fantastic in teaching the ideas behind the Pirc and I have found it to be one of the most instructive chess books I have read.

The book is relatively light on theory compared to others, such as Ultimate Pirc, but I do feel that I am gaining enough knowledge and understanding from reading the book to play and think for myself, something I had almost forgotten how to do!

IP Logged

g3g6(Guest)

Reply #9 - 02/20/06 at 17:42:25
Post Tools
Hi Michael! I am still waiting for your response in other forum: "Modern". Then will be a continue our discussion:-). Maybe GM McNab can say more about hole(s) in Ultimate Pirc:-). I don't say, that OFWATA and Ultimate Pirc are bad books - i say, that i don't like it. OFWATA is full fresh ideas, however unsound.
I have bad memory, Keene's books Modern defence and Picr defence are very old /1972 or so/, but one of the best, what i ever read.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #8 - 02/20/06 at 12:49:27
Post Tools
[quote]Opening for White According to Anand Volume 3+4 and Ultimate Pirc are full variations, but i don;t like it, evalutions in some positions are not OK.[/quote]

I'd be interested to know which positions.

IP Logged

g3g6(Guest)

Reply #7 - 02/20/06 at 11:59:31
Post Tools
ohhh, my head, i forgot: Videki - Pirc defence, very bad book

IP Logged

g3g6(Guest)

Reply #6 - 02/20/06 at 11:47:49
Post Tools
- missed Winning with the modern by Dave Norwood.
and new 2 books by Andrew Martin -  THE HIPPOPOTAMUS RISES and Modern defence /this last probably not out/. An Explosive Chess Opening Repertoire for Black is more about 1.d4 d6 system /2.c4 e5 or 2.Nf3 Bg4/ than about Pirc /lot of material was presented in Pirc Alert! or The Ultimate Pirc/. I like Tiger's modern and Pirc Alert, and very good is The Modern Defence by Speelman/McDonald. Opening for White According to Anand Volume 3+4 and Ultimate Pirc are full variations, but i don;t like it, evalutions in some positions are not OK. Starting Out: The Pirc/Modern is for newbie in Pirc/Modern and Pirc Defence Chessbase CD is a bad job.

IP Logged

chessy

Reply #5 - 02/20/06 at 09:25:56
Post Tools

IP Logged

BlkSabb

Reply #4 - 02/20/06 at 04:56:09
Post Tools
-Starting Out: The Pirc/Modern by Ghallagher is the best starting book and is excellent even for advanced players looking to take up the Pirc.  It does not contain a lot of material on the Modern, only the Pirc.  You should start with this before you try to play the Modern lines anyway.
-Tiger's Modern is full of original and high quality ideas and is a must buy.
-The Modern Defence by Speelman/McDonald is excellent.  It's another one you should definitely pick up.
-Opening for White According to Anand Volume 4 is great as a repertoire from the White point of view for players who want to play the Austrian attack and don't mind a lot of study.  All of these 'Opening for White According to' books are very detailed, contain good explaination of ideas, and contain plenty of original analysis.  I highly recommend them all.
-Pirc Defence Chessbase CD is another good choice for the basic plans and ideas and well annotated games.
-The Ultimate Pirc by Nunn and McNab is an older book which can be useful sometimes for looking things up after games but does not make a useful teaching tool.
-Pirc Alert! seems to be well liked.  Maybe someone else can comment more on it.
-An Explosive Chess Opening Repertoire for Black has some very good reviews on Amazon.  I can't comment on it since I have never looked at it.

IP Logged

iggystiv
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 02/19/06 at 23:06:30
Post Tools
Speelman wrote a book on the modern recently.

IP Logged

amadjambo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 02/19/06 at 22:58:49
Post Tools
I've got a copy of Tiger's Modern which covers the Modern Defence with ...a6.  This book is excellent although I have not yet tried out any of the ideas for myself yet.

I see on the BCM website that there is a new book out called Carpathian Warrior by Lalic and Okhotnik which is meant to cover the Pirc and Modern but I don't know much else about the book.  Best wait for some reviews I think.

IP Logged

Strptzr

Reply #1 - 02/19/06 at 20:48:50
Post Tools
Take a look at jeremysilman.com

IP Logged

REDLANCE ;D(Guest)

best book on the modern and pirc?
02/19/06 at 19:02:37
Post Tools
Whats the best book on the Modern and pirc systems? Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo