Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 1.Nc3 (?) according to Kramnik (Read 2037 times)
SotN
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: 1.Nc3 (?) according to Kramnik
Reply #4 - 02/27/06 at 09:48:54
Post Tools
My guess would be that they took a picture of the board, and let someone who doesn't play chess put it on the cover - mirrored. Its actually quite common for sports fotos, I've seen many tennis players holding their racket in the wrong hand, the same for snooker/biiliards/pool players, so I think (though I'm not a photographer - at all Wink ) that its an extra thing to do to un-mirror a photo. As you might have guessed I find these mistakes quite annoying Wink

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #3 - 02/27/06 at 05:54:55
Post Tools
Yeah.  It's hard to say which is more painful -- yet another chess board with the initial position set up incorrectly, or that picture of Kramnik.  Maybe this is a deep message about not judging the book by its cover...

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #2 - 02/26/06 at 17:08:30
Post Tools
Actually, it not so much a mistake but rather a subtle hint as to what constitutes the better opening... Grin

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 02/25/06 at 21:13:01
Post Tools
I don't own the books, so I am not sure. But it sounds like the pictures have been printed in a mirrored version. Still it is careless.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

1.Nc3 (?) according to Kramnik
02/25/06 at 02:36:59
Post Tools
Is it just my copies or has anyone else noticed that the chessboard on the cover of all 5 Opening for White according to Kramnik books have the chessboard set up wrong?
a1 is a light square and the king and queen switched (i.e. are on the wrong squares).

I assume this is because they knew the old 'queen goes on her color' rule I teach my juniors, and since e1 is now a light square that's where the queen would go.
I know it is common to have chessboards setup incorrectly like this, but surely with all the time put into the books they could have checked at least ONE cover; certainly by the time the last volume was published.

This might seem like a tiny detail, and maybe I'm too picky, but the consequence is that it is actually 1.Nc3 pictured on the cover of this famous series.

I'm curious if other copies are like this or if I'm just special...  Huh

As a less strange detail, I wonder why that used such a nice picture of Khalifman but such a horrible picture of Kramnik.
They seriously couldn't find a decent picture of Kramnik that wasn't from his teens?  Or at least without the frumpy sweater?

At least they didn't put the knights next to the king and queen...

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo