Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hedgehog Help (beyond Suba) (Read 16798 times)
Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Re: Hedgehog Help (beyond Suba)
Reply #3 - 03/02/06 at 08:41:49
Post Tools
Thanks for the information on Palkovi.  I'll try and track that down.

I was hoping to find a book that covered both the Sicilian move-orders and English move-orders.
I began researching the theory to fight against the Hedgehog, but I'm slowly growing to like the little guy.

Perhaps if I were a real man, I'd play the Sicilian again and try for the Hedgehog (no more Najdorfs for me). 
Maybe I could try a bribe?
"No silly wing gambits or Smith-Morras or Grand Prix, please.  And no more 2.c3 for you."
But I don't think I'll become a real man anytime soon; in the meantime I'm going to stay "Captain Pirc".

Thanks again, and cheers to all.

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #2 - 03/01/06 at 12:51:39
Post Tools
There is also a book by Palkovi, Hedgehog system against the English Opening, which offers evertything Suba does not in the realm of structure (and alas in every other domain too):

008 Chapter 1
1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 b6 4.Bg2 Bb7 5.0-0 e6 (6.Nc3)

027 Chapter 2
1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 b6 4.Bg2 Bb7 5.0-0 e6 6.Nc3 Be7

036 Chapter 3
1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 b6 4.Bg2 Bb7 5.0-0 e6 6.Nc3 Be7 7.d4 (cxd4)

080 Chapter 4
1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 b6 4.Bg2 Bb7 5.0-0 g6 

Next to that you can find a lot in any book on the Symmetrical English, and in repertoire books such as Khalifman's Opening according to Kramnik. (I'd even start with that one, as it is no doubt the main source of information you're opponents wil be acquainted with).

Don't forget to look into some books on the Sicilian, too (for instance Zellers 'Sizilianisch im Geiste des Igels'), as transpositions from the one into the other will occur again and again.

IP Logged

iggystiv
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 03/01/06 at 06:43:58
Post Tools
I agree about the Suba book, enjoyable and wierd, although the end starts to talk theory.  Cummings wrote a book on the symetrical english not to long ago. It had a hedgehog chapter and one on the double fianchetto.  Which hedgehog line are you referring to?  Alot of the hedgehogs come from sicilian games.  I've noticed that the coverage is good in those books that transpose.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Hedgehog Help (beyond Suba)
03/01/06 at 01:43:50
Post Tools
Hello all,

I am trying to find a good source for theory on the Hedgehog (with both colors).
Given all the move order complications and transpositions it is not easy to analyse lines.

Suba's book is the only one I can find but its hopelessly messy (but strangely enjoyable).
Is there a more structured or more recent book out there?
I am interested not in a single "reportoire" line or something that tries to avoid theory, but rather a well-writted and at least partially structured guide for players of either color;  specifically in book format

Any suggestions?

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo