Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Classical Pirc (Read 8533 times)
JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: Classical Pirc
Reply #2 - 03/19/06 at 10:31:45
Post Tools
... and the best way to deal with 4. Be3 and 4. Bg5 is to play the Modern move order!

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: Classical Pirc
Reply #1 - 03/19/06 at 10:25:16
Post Tools
I agree with your conclusion for the Classical. The 6. ...Bg4 line is solid for Black and should score averagely. I was once nearly put off by the arid 9 de de line in this variation where White can kill the game, but from a theoretical point of view this is a good result for Black. In practice, my best score for Black is in this variation.

I'm not aware of any theoretical problems for black in the 6. ...c6 or 6. ...Nc6 lines either, but I don't play them. These are quiet variations, so I'd be very surprised if they were busted.

As for the Austrian, well there's plenty of theory to feed on to keep Black alive, and after surviving decades of abuse I don't see the Pirc killed off by it yet.

As for the 150 attack, I think it's been over hyped. It's just another classical system and should be treated as such, ie have your patient equalising plan ready.

IMO the more likely problem lines for Black are the Chameleon 4. Be3 which retains options of f3, f4 and Nf3 systems if Black commits to the wrong move and 4. Bg5. Also Be3/f3 systems seem to be causing Sicilian players sleepless nights at the moment, which isn't nice for a Sicilian wannabe like the Pirc.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Classical Pirc
03/18/06 at 15:37:16
Post Tools
What is the current status of the Classical Pirc?  It seems to me that much of the talk about the sad demise of the Pirc surrounds the Austrian and 150 Attack lines.  Can anyone comment on the Classical, which it seems one can transpose to from the Modern after an early Nf3.

1 e4 d6 2 d4 g6 3 Nf3 Bg7 4 Be2 Nf6 5 Nc3 0-0 6 0-0

And where does current theory stand here?  I've noticed that Alburt and Chernin recommend 6 ... Bg4, though I must admit that 6 ... c6 appeals to me more.  And after 6 ... c6, what experiences have people had with ... e5 or the queenside front (...Qc7, ... b5, etc.)

I suppose the standard responses to the Pirc apply: Black should be okay, but his winning chances are limited (or are harder to find than White's)...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo