Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Debate on Kalashnikov (move 6) (Read 1990 times)
Bonsai
God Member

Re: Debate on Kalashnikov (move 6)
Reply #3 - 04/02/06 at 22:18:52
Post Tools
I would assume that it is an exclamation mark ment in the sense that it's the best move even if it is not spectacular and that no other move is as good. The argument for that position would probably be something along the lines of
  • 6...a6 may be seen as provoking white in 7.N5c3 (which would fairly silly after 6...Be7).
  • 6...Nf6 blocks black's f-pawn and even potentially invites the Bg5 pin.
  • 6...Be6 may be putting the bishop on a square where it may not be doing much (except for guarding d5) and in case of ...f5 exf5 Bxf5 it may lose a tempo.
  • 6...f5 looks a bit premature (after 7.exf5 Bxf5 8.Bd3, which would be my first idea).
  • At the same time 6...Be7 develops a piece to a square where it wants to go anyway, prepares castling and in case of 7.N1c3 the move 7...a6 possibly makes more sense now. I would guess that is how that "!" is to be understood.

IP Logged

Socrates
YaBB Newbies

(A pitiful old man)

Reply #2 - 04/02/06 at 22:06:25
Post Tools
MNb, you took the words right out of my mouth. My friend keeps telling me that 6 ... Be7 is an exclamation point move, but can't/won't explain why. To me, it's nothing spectacular. It's just another correct move in a given variation.

Socrates

&&"The unexamined life is not worth living."

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 04/02/06 at 04:15:46
Post Tools
An exclamation mark is commonly attached (several books on the BDG are the exception) for a strong move. So the counter question is: why should 6...Be7 be so strong, that it deserves one? Until I have read a good answer on this, my conclusion is no.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Socrates
YaBB Newbies

(A pitiful old man)

Debate on Kalashnikov (move 6)
03/31/06 at 23:45:32
Post Tools
Hi, I need your valuable opinions. A friend and I are having a debate on the Kalashnikov.

After 4 Nxd4 e5 5 Nb5 d6 6 c4, is 6 ... Be7 an exclamation point (!) move? I know it's certainly the most common move in this line, but is it worthy of an exclamation point?

Thank you!

Socrates

&&"The unexamined life is not worth living."

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo