Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Donaldson's 'Strategic Opening Repertoire ' (Read 2404 times)
emoskow(Guest)

Re: Donaldson's 'Strategic Opening Repertoire '
Reply #3 - 04/16/06 at 02:35:44
Post Tools
donaldson book is a classic the repitore is my lead for last 20 so years, his ideas remain fresh, watsons english books are a close second still using them after all these years as well

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #2 - 04/05/06 at 04:35:45
Post Tools
I'm not referring to any single line in particular, but rather all the lines in general that Donaldson has recommended.
The book is an entire White repertoire based on 1.Nf3/c4, often with queenside expansion.

So, I wasn't asking about any one line or another, but rather if anyone has tried out this repertoire and has any comments/advice.
If there is a line that has been busted, then obviously I'd like to know that, of if one of the lines is very hard to play yet offers little;
That kind of thing.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/03/06 at 06:36:29
Post Tools
What lines does he suggest?

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Donaldson's 'Strategic Opening Repertoire '
04/03/06 at 06:12:17
Post Tools
I was wondering if anyone had read this book and tried out his recommended lines.

The reviews were good, but no one really talked about how the repertoire actually played over-the-board (i.e. "I liked the book, but I found the line in Chapter X to be more difficult to play than it first appeared," OR  "My opponent found a gaping hole in the analysis in just a few minutes.")

Also, it might be worth while to know how the lines have stood up (since its been awhile since this was printed. Wink

Basically I just wanted to know how comfortable people were with the repertoire OTB and if there were any pitfalls or busts to watch out for.

Cheers.

ps - I'm just happy to have finally located a copy of this book for less than $100. Ironically Donaldson himself no longer had a copy and the library at his chess club (the Mechanics in San Francisco) doesn't carry it and cannot order it since ICE publishing is no longer in business. A newer edition was supposed to be made about 2 years ago (by C.Hansen) but it seems to have finally died. Undecided 

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo