Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Von Popiel Attack (A BDG offshoot) (Read 2526 times)
Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Von Popiel Attack (A BDG offshoot)
Reply #1 - 04/03/06 at 18:30:06
Post Tools
I play the Von Popiel Gambit sometimes. Why gambit? Well, White did give up a pawn. In fact, I analysed the von Popiel Gambit before coming to the BDG, all the way back in 1990!

The von Popiel obviously can give White easy equality at the cost of exchanging one of the Bishops,
e.g., 4...h6 5 Bf6 ef6 6 Ne4 or 4...e6 5 Bf6 Qf6 6 Ne4.

More interesting are lines where Black tries to hold on to the pawn, viz., 4...Bg4 and 4...Bf5. Also, 4...Nc6 comes into consideration.

I'll post some games later.

CraigEvans wrote on 04/03/06 at 09:28:37:
Reading through the interesting book by Dommett on Diemer's life, I came across the following line which has since intrigued me:

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5

This has been christened the von Popiel attack, after Ignatz von Popiel, the master who introduced it into practice and did much of the groundwork on the line. Interestingly, he was probably the first player to really advocate 3.Nc3 (to avoid the dreaded 3.f3 e5! - a line I sadly underestimated in the past), but however prefered this follow-up with the bishop. It seems to be very much in line with the Staunton Gambit (in which white often plays Bg5xf6 rather than f3), and looks like an interesting offshoot.

I was wondering if our resident BDG experts could give me some information/references on this line, and what is the current theoretical status of it? Before LDZ jumps in - I notice that you yet again have a variation bearing your name in this opening. I have not had a chance to look at that line yet, so there's no need for you to come preaching the benefits of 4...Bf5 5.Bxf6 exf6 6.g4 Bg6 7.Qe2 Bb4 8.Qb5+ - I will look at this in due course and give my opinions, but it certainly looks a little hairy.

Regards,
Craig

YIM  
IP Logged

CraigEvans
YaBB Moderator

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Von Popiel Attack (A BDG offshoot)
04/03/06 at 09:28:37
Post Tools
Reading through the interesting book by Dommett on Deimer's life, I came across the following line which has since intrigued me:

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5

This has been christened the von Popiel attack, after Ignatz von Popiel, the master who introduced it into practice and did much of the groundwork on the line. Interestingly, he was probably the first player to really advocate 3.Nc3 (to avoid the dreaded 3.f3 e5! - a line I sadly underestimated in the past), but however prefered this follow-up with the bishop. It seems to be very much in line with the Staunton Gambit (in which white often plays Bg5xf6 rather than f3), and looks like an interesting offshoot.

I was wondering if our resident BDG experts could give me some information/references on this line, and what is the current theoretical status of it? Before LDZ jumps in - I notice that you yet again have a variation bearing your name in this opening. I have not had a chance to look at that line yet, so there's no need for you to come preaching the benefits of 4...Bf5 5.Bxf6 exf6 6.g4 Bg6 7.Qe2 Bb4 8.Qb5+ - I will look at this in due course and give my opinions, but it certainly looks a little hairy.

Regards,
Craig

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo