Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The Ruy Lopez with 6.Qe2!? (Worrall-Attack) (Read 7080 times)
dragon_x
YaBB Newbies

6.Qe2!?  8.a4!?(Worrall-Attack)
Reply #7 - 04/16/06 at 22:01:44
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 04/16/06 at 20:00:34:
Unfortunately this exact line is why I dont play the Worral. I dont really like c3 and d3 when black can play d5 in one go or as in this case already played it.

Is it somehow possible to avoid such a line ?

Perhaps 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Qe2 b5 7.Bb3 0-0 8.a4!?

I don't know if it is really a big difference ,but the move a4 is can be very useful in many ways ...

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: The Ruy Lopez with 6.Qe2!? (Worrall-Attack)
Reply #6 - 04/16/06 at 20:00:34
Post Tools
Unfortunately this exact line is why I dont play the Worral. I dont really like c3 and d3 when black can play d5 in one go or as in this case already played it. So if you want a relative theory free Spanish repertoire you may wanna look into d3 lines with c3 only after black has played d6 as you may want the knight on c3 after d5.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

dragon_x
YaBB Newbies

Marshall : 6. Qe2 ...  8....d5!
Reply #5 - 04/16/06 at 16:50:53
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 04/15/06 at 20:09:45:
I always thought, that the Marshall Gambit was even stronger against the Worrall-Attack: 6.Qe2 b5 7.Bb3 o-o 8.c3 d5!

The 'Marshall' seems to be the main problem of the Worrall. I think that White is forced to play 9.d3   Sad and after 9.... dxe4 10.dxe4 (or perhaps later on) it seems to me that black can equalize.

Moreover, I really don't like the pawn-structure that occurs after ...dxe4 dxe4  Angry . It is often not more than a draw (or I'm just too weak to handle such a position)

Is there a sensible way to avoid such a pawnstructure
or does anybody know how to handle it?

Thanks to all your answers so far ^^

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 04/15/06 at 20:30:23
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 04/15/06 at 20:09:45:
I always thought, that the Marshall Gambit was even stronger against the Worrall-Attack: 6.Qe2 b5 7.Bb3 o-o 8.c3 d5!
Have things changed?

As far as I know White is still supposed to play 9. d3 there.  This brings up a move-order issue; I believe Short and Tiviakov generally played 5. (not 6.) Qe2.  I'm not sure how this relates to the Marshall issue though; maybe it has to do with White playing c3 and d4 before castling in some cases?  Or throwing in a4 (which I suppose might discourage a Marshallesque ...d5)?   Or maybe S and T were okay with the White side of that 8...d5 9. d3 line, but just wanted to avoid the Open?  I haven't done the research, but maybe it helps to ask the questions ...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 04/15/06 at 20:09:45
Post Tools
Have things changed?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 04/15/06 at 17:41:40
Post Tools
You may wanna check Lane's book the Ruy Lopez explained. It is certainly not my favourite book as I find the coverage too light at certain places, but for a beginner to the opening it is very good. It basically gives a "double" repertoire for white in the Spanish, so you get both the Worrall and the 9 d4-main line. Also his line against the Schliemann (4 d3) is "theory light", but still not without bite. Incidentally Lane himself apparently also plays the Worrall sometimes.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/14/06 at 18:14:08
Post Tools
It seems to me that Nigel Short and Sergey Tiviakov have favoured it ...

IP Logged

dragon_x
YaBB Newbies

The Ruy Lopez with 6.Qe2!? (Worrall-Attack)
04/14/06 at 12:36:12
Post Tools
Actually I want to play the Ruy-Lopez ,but there is very heavy theory about the mainlines and I don't want to study those lines ,in which therory comes to an end at move 30 or so. Angry
Therefore I'm looking for slightly unusual ,but  nonetheless positional sensible lines.

I think that the Worral-Attack which occurs after the moves :
[1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Qe2!?]
seems to be interesting.
The queen defends the e-pawn and frees the d1 square for the rook.Later on white can push the d-pawn.

Still I haven't seen this line very much at top GM-level.  Cry
Most players prefer 6.Re1 and therefore I'm not sure about 6.Qe2

I'd like to hear your opinions on this line and perhaps you've got some anlaysis or instructive games about it.

Thanks for your help!

Regs

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo