Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What's so funny about Ruy Lopez 5.d3 ? (Read 2453 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: What's so funny about Ruy Lopez 5.d3 ?
Reply #2 - 05/17/06 at 14:45:13
Post Tools
Perfectly respectable line I always thought - what about the stuff recommended in the last Update on ChessPub - early ...d6 followed by ...g6 I think.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: What's so funny about Ruy Lopez 5.d3 ?
Reply #1 - 04/30/06 at 12:11:27
Post Tools
In my chess Library, I see this line is mentioned in Shaun Taulbot's Understanding the Spanish. The choice seems to be to play d4 in 1 move and learn all that Theory, or play it in two moves and learn much less  Cool

Early d3 systems are still popular with GMs and give a decent score for White. Maybe the resorting to d3 in various anti-Marshall systems has shown that playing the Lopez even more slowly still has a drop of poison.

However this line goes right back to Steinitz, and can be played independantly from normal Lopez lines by delaying 0-0 to do the Nbd2-f1-g3/e3-f5/d5 manouver without moving the King's Rook, or even going 0-0-0 (ala Steinitz).

Fischer played it, possibly linked to why he liked the slow KIA in his early years.

If you like to play like a Boa Constrictor, then this is the line for you.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Roy Lopez(Guest)

What's so funny about Ruy Lopez 5.d3 ?
04/29/06 at 13:09:20
Post Tools
What's so funny about 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.d3 that Andrew Martin's Chessbase DVD ABC of Ruy Lopez is the only place I have seen it mentioned?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo