Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New 1...e5! book by Mikhail Marin! (Read 143404 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: New 1...e5! book by Mikhail Marin!
Reply #188 - 09/10/07 at 20:43:04
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 09/10/07 at 20:21:56:
You are probably right about 7.f5, but 7.Na4 secures an edge since Tartakower-Opocensky, Baden bei Wien 1914. Only the move order has changed since then: 7.Na4 Bg4 8.c3 Na5 9.Nxc5 dxc5 avoids 8.Nxc5 dxc5 9.c3 Qd6!

This old reference is not a good foundation for suggesting that 7.Na4 secures an edge for White. 7.Na4 should be met simply by 7...Bb6 and in fact White's temporary lack of control of the d5 square is more important here than the acquisition of the bishop pair. Moreover after 7.Na4 White must play precisely just to maintain the balance.

The failure of 7.Na4 in this line is primaily the reason I consider the prophylactic 6...a6 to be unneccesary.

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #187 - 09/10/07 at 20:21:56
Post Tools
You are probably right about 7.f5, but 7.Na4 secures an edge since Tartakower-Opocensky, Baden bei Wien 1914. Only the move order has changed since then: 7.Na4 Bg4 8.c3 Na5 9.Nxc5 dxc5 avoids 8.Nxc5 dxc5 9.c3 Qd6!

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #186 - 09/10/07 at 19:21:04
Post Tools
Quote:
For a black improvement on the 'Olivier Renet - line'
(though 12. Qd2 was allready played 5 years earlier)  Smiley
see the Kings Gambit convert thread, where there is some discussion:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1172299697/30#34

Nevertheless personally I prefer 6...a6 over 6...Bg4, and 2....,exf over 2....Bc5  Wink

There is no viable Black improvement mentioned in the thread referred to above, in fact the lines I gave there show White doing extremely well and nothing has changed since then. Having said that, I still believe 2...Bc5 is a sound and safe line against the Kings Gambit provided he plays 6...0-0!, this under-rated move has been incorrectly assessed by official theory in my opinion, which considers 7.f5 to be the antidote, but I do not believe it.      

After wading through this entire thread again, even the endless upon endless pages devoted to the 'merits' of Pressurize, Pressure and Re-cuperate, I decided to give this book a miss. Based on the many arguments made for and against I felt that too many critical lines were not dealt with properly in this book. Nevertheless I would be curious about what he had written about the exchange Ruy and disappointed that this variation was not included in the companion volume instead. Nevertheless I still  decided to order his companion volume, as the Ruy Lopez proper is a topic that an 1.e4 e5 player from either side of the board cannot have too much information about, especially from a strong GM.

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #185 - 06/24/07 at 09:25:28
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 06/24/07 at 04:54:08:
John, Tony, (and others)

What do you mean when you say that "official" opening theory varies between countries?

Surely by now everyone would be on the same page screen?

Not in the e4e5 openings. Hosts of book repeat lines already refuted in say the Bilguer.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #184 - 06/24/07 at 08:42:47
Post Tools
Maybe it's just we idle English, but a lot of people here form their opening ideas and repertoires from books, and of course they have different books in Romania.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #183 - 06/24/07 at 04:54:08
Post Tools
John, Tony, (and others)

What do you mean when you say that "official" opening theory varies between countries?

Surely by now everyone would be on the same page screen?

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #182 - 06/23/07 at 14:10:37
Post Tools
I agree with Tony; this is a pretty strange omission. It's perhaps an illustration of the curious way 'official' opening theory varies between countries, but still.

Another curious omission, unless I've missed it, is Tiviakov's dangerous Be3 plan from the chapter on the Guioco Pianissimo.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #181 - 06/22/07 at 10:37:08
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 06/21/07 at 18:37:05:
in the Ponziani line, after 8.Nd2 OK Marin doesn't mention it, neither does Emms

To be fair to John, the ...Nf6 line is very much his 2nd string suggestion, Nxg6 just getting one note, and he does say quite clearly that the problem with this line is that play can reach "a rather stale endgame position". In fact one of the big advantages of John's work over Marin's is that he always gives at least two distinct lines for Black, so if you don't like one ... Smiley

Ametanoitos wrote on 06/21/07 at 18:37:05:
Marin gives another line (6..a6 instead of 6..Bg4) with some original analysis that looks OK for me

But the vast bulk of his KG repertoire is devoted to 6...Bg4, pages and pages of it, and he doesn't mention the key move! I can assure you that I am not the only one who finds this astounding, several other titled players have mentioned it to me, I really don't think I am being 'harsh'!

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #180 - 06/21/07 at 18:37:05
Post Tools
I think that Mr Kosten is a bit harsh about Marin's book. First of all in the King's Gambit issue, Marin gives another line (6..a6 instead of 6..Bg4) with some original analysis that looks OK for me. Then, in the Ponziani line, after 8.Nd2 OK Marin doesn't mention it, neither does Emms or every chess encyclopedia i looked! But Marin does give some hints about how to play the position and above all gives the line 8.Be3 followed by 9.Nd2 which is an improved version of 8.Nd2 i think and he gives then 9..Nf6! So, i suppose 8.Nd2 Nf6! is more than OK for black as Marin would say(!) because of the 8.Be3 line i mentioned.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #179 - 06/18/07 at 10:49:37
Post Tools
Quote:
(though 12. Qd2 was allready played 5 years earlier)  Smiley

Yes, but I thought the general agreement there was that White was better, anyway? The problem is that White has two bishops, a solid pawn structure plus some attacking chances on the g-file. Unless Black has something tangible really quickly he simply must be worse. Sad

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #178 - 06/16/07 at 15:18:13
Post Tools

(though 12. Qd2 was allready played 5 years earlier)  Smiley

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1172299697/30#34

Nevertheless personally I prefer 6...a6 over 6...Bg4, and 2....,exf over 2....Bc5  Wink

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #177 - 06/15/07 at 15:41:10
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 06/13/07 at 18:54:34:
Tony,
Now that you are covering 1...e5, will you be tackling this line in your updates?

Yes, as soon as I find a good line for Black! Smiley

Ametanoitos wrote on 06/15/07 at 15:30:59:
When we analysed the 10.Qd2 line with my coach we decided that 10...Bxf3 11.gxf3! Nd7 12.Kh1 exf4 13.Qxf4 Nde5 14.Bd3 Nd4 looks nice for black. I know nothing else about the theory of this line. Do i miss something stronger for white?

In his analysis to Axelrod - Mikhalevski, in his May '06 update, Olivier gave 12 f5 and a nice variation that won for White.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #176 - 06/15/07 at 15:30:59
Post Tools
When we analysed the 10.Qd2 line with my coach we decided that 10...Bxf3 11.gxf3! Nd7 12.Kh1 exf4 13.Qxf4 Nde5 14.Bd3 Nd4 looks nice for black. I know nothing else about the theory of this line. Do i miss something stronger for white?

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #175 - 06/13/07 at 18:54:34
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 05/18/07 at 21:40:29:
I have just been looking at the KG and was surprised to find no mention of the critical 7 Na4 0-0 8 Nxc5 dxc5 9 0-0 Qd6 10 Qd2! which was mentioned by Renet way back in the May 2006 update (http://www.chesspublishing.com/content/1/may06.htm) - which was the reason I gave up playing ...Bc5. A quick look at the bibliography reveals that there is no mention of ChessPublishing.com at all (how is this possible?!) Shocked
Actually there doesn't seem to be any mention of several recent works of importance, either, the John Emms book or the Nigel Davies book, for instance. Undecided

Tony,

Now that you are covering 1...e5, will you be tackling this line in your updates?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #174 - 06/12/07 at 14:48:15
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 06/12/07 at 14:29:50:
Yesterday I received my copy of Marin's 1...e5 book and spent quite a while perusing it.  I am quite impressed that the GM has so much to say about how to play the middlegame positions that arise from the recommended systems.  Except for not being able to ask questions, it's a whole lot like having a GM for a personal instructor.  The back cover says that Marin has written a middlegame book under the guise of an openings book, and that's very close to the truth.  

If you're with a GM at a tournament or someplace, and he starts talking about chess, it's a good idea to shut up and listen.  And here we have Marin sharing his insights into hundreds of positions.  In some ways it misses the point to worry about whether these lines are worthy of inclusion in your repertoire.  This would be a most excellent book to read, even if you never intended to play any of these lines (though that would less immediately conducive to producing points, I admit).

As a repertoire book, I can take it or leave it; as set of middlegame lessons, it's one of the better recent books I've come across.

I can only imagine, though, that this and its Spanish companion work must have been a b---h to edit.  From the strange juxtaposition of tabular variations, standard game commentaries and outright lectures, I suspect that it came to its editors somewhat ill-formed.  I rather suspect that it was an editor's decision to split a single work in two, and to include, no doubt due to space considerations, the Exchange Spanish in the first volume.  But in any case it's well worth buying.

Very interesting review. I'd intended giving the book a miss (despite normally buying at least one chess book every Saturday and often more) but may change my mind now. Only one point arises: I can't work out the missing letters in b---h!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo