Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New 1...e5! book by Mikhail Marin! (Read 186062 times)
HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Re: New 1...e5! book by Mikhail Marin!
Reply #218 - 10/10/07 at 23:08:06
Post Tools
Odd Gunnar Malin wrote on 10/10/07 at 12:43:51:
It seems that the expectation from a repertoire book differs from my expectation. I would never expect to find all answer in it. What is needed is a brief tour through the opening with the thematic traps covered so I’m able to start playing it. Then when I analyse my games I will go into depth on the variation in the game and use whatever I have on this. ECO, database etc.
Many here seems to laugh of Chess Opening Explained … by Alburt etc. Well I find these books excellent and is exactly what you need to start playing those variants. Ex. In the Black repertoire book a big opening like Catalan are missing but I doubt anybody who have read the book would  feel uncomfortable when facing it eg. answering Bb4 and transpose into bogo-like positions.
As White I have used Khalifman’s according to Kramnik (5 volum), but you find yourself memorize variations instead of understanding the big picture of this repertoire, beside that this isn’t as fun it also have an expire date of the variation covered.
While I have bought both of Marin’s 1.e4 e5 books, I haven’t had the time to try out his repertoire yet but a brief look tell me that these books are in the road of what is needed from a repertoire book.
Nowadays with ICC and other Internet servers you can practice your opening as much as you want before taking it out to a serious game.
An extreme sample of use of repertoire book/video are here: Portuguese Gambit game
This I played (otb 30 min/g) after looking at Jesse Kraai’s 19 minutes ChessLecture-video on this opening.

I couldn't agree more!  In a short amount of time, I've developed a good "feel" for the Ruy Lopez thanks to Marin's book; I have yet to actually do more than scan the theory sections at the back, and while for the sake of completeness, it would be great for them to be as comprehensive and accurate as possible, my instinct is that Marin offers a manual with which you will likely be able to solve problems in the opening and the middlegame on your own.  His penchant for history is also a rather welcome touch...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Odd Gunnar Malin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #217 - 10/10/07 at 12:43:51
Post Tools
It seems that the expectation from a repertoire book differs from my expectation. I would never expect to find all answer in it. What is needed is a brief tour through the opening with the thematic traps covered so I’m able to start playing it. Then when I analyse my games I will go into depth on the variation in the game and use whatever I have on this. ECO, database etc.
Many here seems to laugh of Chess Opening Explained … by Alburt etc. Well I find these books excellent and is exactly what you need to start playing those variants. Ex. In the Black repertoire book a big opening like Catalan are missing but I doubt anybody who have read the book would  feel uncomfortable when facing it eg. answering Bb4 and transpose into bogo-like positions.
As White I have used Khalifman’s according to Kramnik (5 volum), but you find yourself memorize variations instead of understanding the big picture of this repertoire, beside that this isn’t as fun it also have an expire date of the variation covered.
While I have bought both of Marin’s 1.e4 e5 books, I haven’t had the time to try out his repertoire yet but a brief look tell me that these books are in the road of what is needed from a repertoire book.
Nowadays with ICC and other Internet servers you can practice your opening as much as you want before taking it out to a serious game.
An extreme sample of use of repertoire book/video are here: Portuguese Gambit game
This I played (otb 30 min/g) after looking at Jesse Kraai’s 19 minutes ChessLecture-video on this opening.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #216 - 10/10/07 at 09:56:43
Post Tools
Marin in his second suggestion (the Petrosian system) doesn't even consider analysing the main suggestion for white by the two most popular repertoir books for white (Khalifman and Emms)! 12...Bd7 13.Nf1 Nc4 13.dxe5 dxe5 14.Qe2 i think this is the line. Also he doesn't consider in the Scoth main line the suggestion of Emms in his book Starting out: the Scoth about a Qc2 move if i remember correctly. It would be nice if someone informed mr.Marin about these in the hope he will provide us some answers in a future update!

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #215 - 10/06/07 at 23:22:34
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 10/06/07 at 12:13:03:
GMKosten,

I have to say this is impressive. All repertoire books invariably have holes. But how many chess publishers or authors make any effort to seriouosly address these issues. Kudos to Quality Chess and GM Marin on this!

Chess Stars have done it with their Sharpest Sicilian. And even more impressively and pro-actively, they did it without the prompting from disgruntled consumers.

Check out the thread The Sharpest Sicilian Updated in the Open Sicilian section.

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #214 - 10/06/07 at 23:15:09
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 10/05/07 at 13:17:25:
Glenn Flear gives a very favorable review of this book in the latest NIC Yearbook.

I think he might have given a favorable one for Chess Openings for White Explained as well.  Embarrassed

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #213 - 10/06/07 at 20:51:29
Post Tools
rossia wrote on 10/05/07 at 14:36:21:
Glenn Flear gives a very favorable review of this book in the latest NIC Yearbook.

Can you please Mister post full Flear's review of Marin's books?

I'm looking forward!

Thanks in advance if possible  Grin

Sorry, copyright info!

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #212 - 10/06/07 at 18:53:08
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 10/06/07 at 12:13:03:
GMKosten,

I have to say this is impressive. All repertoire books invariably have holes. But how many chess publishers or authors make any effort to seriouosly address these issues. Kudos to Quality Chess and GM Marin on this!

I agree. Maybe we can start making a list, using the 'quote' facility, that is, someone starts the list and then the next post can quote that and add to it, or would this be too cumbersome? Undecided

Toppy: I have mentioned the problems to Jacob myself when we were dining together, I think, but he may also have heard from other Forum members who work for Quality Chess. Wink

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #211 - 10/06/07 at 17:56:01
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/06/07 at 12:05:49:
Jacob Aagaard from Quality Chess emailed me to ask:
"You said there were some holes in the Marin book beyond what we already know about. It would be good if you could make a quick chessbase file with what you know. Mihail is preparing an Internet update soon for our site, so it would be good for him to know what he needs to look additionally at" and also "You said that there was a problem with the Ponziani line, also, I know that there was some questioning of the King's Gambit line. Futhermore, I know that 7.Qb3 is missing in the Evans Gambit, which is a real issue Smiley."
Maybe we could try to make a complete list and send it to them? I can add 4 a3 in the Four Knights, as well, unless someone found this in the small print somewhere? Smiley

Did Aagaard get all this info from the forum? If so he should acknowledge it.

Chess Stars already has a regular contributor here, perhaps Quality Chess could consider the same. It could result in even better products in future. As it is, it appears that the intended update maybe more valuable than the book.

Toppy Smiley   

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #210 - 10/06/07 at 12:13:03
Post Tools
GMKosten,

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #209 - 10/06/07 at 12:05:49
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard from Quality Chess emailed me to ask:
"You said there were some holes in the Marin book beyond what we already know about. It would be good if you could make a quick chessbase file with what you know. Mihail is preparing an Internet update soon for our site, so it would be good for him to know what he needs to look additionally at" and also "You said that there was a problem with the Ponziani line, also, I know that there was some questioning of the King's Gambit line. Futhermore, I know that 7.Qb3 is missing in the Evans Gambit, which is a real issue Smiley."
Maybe we could try to make a complete list and send it to them? I can add 4 a3 in the Four Knights, as well, unless someone found this in the small print somewhere? Smiley

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #208 - 10/05/07 at 18:03:17
Post Tools
Holbox wrote on 10/05/07 at 10:33:45:
IJEH, have you ever tried to play the open games with black seriously? I mean with same effort you make with the Pirc.

Nope. I got my open game fix from the White side. For me it's classical for White and Hypermodern for Black. Plus I play 1. ...e5 in non-tourney games, without much theory except for what soaked in by the osmosis over the years, I just play it to give my mind a workout.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #207 - 10/05/07 at 14:36:21
Post Tools

Can you please Mister post full Flear's review of Marin's books?

I'm looking forward!

Thanks in advance if possible  Grin

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #206 - 10/05/07 at 13:17:25
Post Tools

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #205 - 10/05/07 at 12:14:01
Post Tools
Quote:
@Dfan:

I
Scotch
1.e4,e5 2.Nf3,Nc6 3.d4,exd 4.Nxd4
Emms:  4...Nf6
Davies: 4...Bc5
Marin:   4...Bc5

In fact Marin gives 4...Nf6 against the Scotch.

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #204 - 10/05/07 at 10:33:45
Post Tools
I will add Kaufman's which I think is a more ambitious repertoire against the open games

King's Gambit  - 2...d5 3.ed ef!? (avoiding the bishop gambit, and the dubious Falkbeer CG)
Scotch             - 4...Nf6
Italian,BO        - 3...Bc5
4Kn's               - X...Bd6

And, in any kind of Scotch gambit (Scotch, Goring, Danish, etc..., ) win the pawn, keep up and try to win.

Ruy     - 4...Nf6 

JEH, have you ever tried to play the open games with black seriously? I mean with same effort you make with the Pirc.

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo