Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New 1...e5! book by Mikhail Marin! (Read 186053 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: New 1...e5! book by Mikhail Marin!
Reply #233 - 01/06/08 at 01:36:22
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 01/06/08 at 01:25:39:
Didn't realise Emms covered this position, I thought he advocated the Two Knights Defence in his book. It would also be nice if you provided a few more moves for the sake of clarity, as White still has the option to play an Open or Closed Italian game.

Tops Smiley

Eh?  I assume we're talking about Black playing 5...Nxe4 6. d4 d5 (or first ...ed).  Which has "always" been considered fine for Black as far as I know.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #232 - 01/06/08 at 01:25:39
Post Tools
Seth_Xoma wrote on 01/06/08 at 01:06:41:
If someone is collecting lines for Marin to analyze for an undate for the qualitychess website, I found another line that probably should be looked at:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.0-0 Nf6 5.c3 (or 4.c3 Nf6 5.0-0) at least, I cannot find it in "Beating the Open Games". I faced this variation in my last tournament as Black and it was a pretty unpleasant experience. My opponent was rated roughly 150 rating points lower. I managed to recall some Emms analysis that I had read some 4 years earlier, and pieced together the right ideas, but still only drew as I had used up all my time over the first 10 moves.

Maybe it could be looked at in a future update on this site, since it is not covered on Chesspub, at least not under C56  Cool

By the way, anyone know if Emms' analysis still holds up well on this variation?

Didn't realise Emms covered this position, I thought he advocated the Two Knights Defence in his book. It would also be nice if you provided a few more moves for the sake of clarity, as White still has the option to play an Open or Closed Italian game.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Reply #231 - 01/06/08 at 01:06:41
Post Tools
If someone is collecting lines for Marin to analyze for an undate for the qualitychess website, I found another line that probably should be looked at:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.0-0 Nf6 5.c3 (or 4.c3 Nf6 5.0-0) at least, I cannot find it in "Beating the Open Games". I faced this variation in my last tournament as Black and it was a pretty unpleasant experience. My opponent was rated roughly 150 rating points lower. I managed to recall some Emms analysis that I had read some 4 years earlier, and pieced together the right ideas, but still only drew as I had used up all my time over the first 10 moves.

Maybe it could be looked at in a future update on this site, since it is not covered on Chesspub, at least not under C56  Cool

By the way, anyone know if Emms' analysis still holds up well on this variation?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #230 - 11/11/07 at 10:27:37
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 11/11/07 at 01:16:42:
JonHecht wrote on 11/10/07 at 20:23:05:
It shall be the greatest update in the history of Chesspub! It will refute lines that people have believed to be sound since the dawn of the 20th century.

I would settle for email notifications when updates come out, but that seems to no longer happen.  Angry

Toppy Smiley

What?  Shocked Don't you check the site every day?  Wink 

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #229 - 11/11/07 at 01:16:42
Post Tools
JonHecht wrote on 11/10/07 at 20:23:05:
It shall be the greatest update in the history of Chesspub! It will refute lines that people have believed to be sound since the dawn of the 20th century.

I would settle for email notifications when updates come out, but that seems to no longer happen.  Angry

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #228 - 11/10/07 at 20:23:05
Post Tools

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #227 - 11/07/07 at 16:22:31
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 11/07/07 at 15:55:35:
Clearly, not!!! This is November, and we are yet to see the October update for Flank Openings.  Angry  Perhaps Carsten is busy working on his "Strategic Opening Repertoire" book which is apparently late as well.

That's true, I don't think I have received one of his updates within the time limit yet  (Huh) but what I really meant was that he is obviously spending so much time doing his October update so that it will be as perfect as possible ...! Undecided

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #226 - 11/07/07 at 15:55:35
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 11/07/07 at 14:51:27:
I've just had a look and the reviews are more like quick impressions of the books, which is quite understandable as Carsten obviously wants to save most of his time for his Flank Openings updates! Wink

Clearly, not!!! This is November, and we are yet to see the October update for Flank Openings.  Angry  Perhaps Carsten is busy working on his "Strategic Opening Repertoire" book which is apparently late as well.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #225 - 11/07/07 at 14:51:27
Post Tools
I've just had a look and the reviews are more like quick impressions of the books, which is quite understandable as Carsten obviously wants to save most of his time for his Flank Openings updates! Wink

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #224 - 11/07/07 at 14:44:05
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 11/07/07 at 14:30:05:
Rossia,

I think Markovich was speaking tongue in cheek

Like Markovich, I already have both books, so I really don't care what Hansen says. However, is it me or are Hansen's book reviews getting more superficial and less and  insightful? I suppose when you are asked to review so many books a month, there is only so much you can do. He used to be really thorough before, but  I guess, he could not keep it up.

I think it depends on the lines in question. He seems much less at home with 1.e4 lines and has more than once given a "wrong" review, esp in non-sicilians. Ie the Ruy explained is given 4 stars, where I thought it was at a "Schiller" level.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #223 - 11/07/07 at 14:30:05
Post Tools
rossia wrote on 11/07/07 at 13:53:22:
Whoopee! Now I will know if this book that I've been reading for the past two months is any good.

Hansen gave 5 stars for Marin's work, but you will know best if book suits you Mr. Markovich. He is only a FM with sharp tongue and he hasn't always right.
[/quote]

Rossia,

I think Markovich was speaking tongue in cheek

Like Markovich, I already have both books, so I really don't care what Hansen says. However, is it me or are Hansen's book reviews getting more superficial and less and  insightful? I suppose when you are asked to review so many books a month, there is only so much you can do. He used to be really thorough before, but  I guess, he could not keep it up.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #222 - 11/07/07 at 13:53:22
Post Tools

Whoopee! Now I will know if this book that I've been reading for the past two months is any good. [/quote]

Hansen gave 5 stars for Marin's work, but you will know best if book suits you Mr. Markovich. He is only a FM with sharp tongue and he hasn't always right.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #221 - 11/07/07 at 13:49:28
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 11/07/07 at 13:42:44:
Mortal Games wrote on 11/07/07 at 12:11:47:
The Chesscafe critic for "Beating the Open Games" and "A Spanish Opening Repertoire for Black" is out!
Wink

Whoopee! Now I will know if this book that I've been reading for the past two months is any good.

Next month they are reviewing Bilguer's Handbuch. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #220 - 11/07/07 at 13:42:44
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 11/07/07 at 12:11:47:
The Chesscafe critic for "Beating the Open Games" and "A Spanish Opening Repertoire for Black" is out!
Wink

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #219 - 11/07/07 at 12:11:47
Post Tools
Wink

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo