Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New 1...e5! book by Mikhail Marin! (Read 162482 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: New 1...e5! book by Mikhail Marin!
Reply #68 - 03/23/07 at 20:27:48
Post Tools
Sounds what? Maybe you should not be a proof reader, Fluffy. See Antillian's post.  Wink

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #67 - 03/23/07 at 20:25:33
Post Tools
"pressurize" definitely has an atmospheric connotation - it is used to describe air, gas, etc. why anyone would not choose "pressure the queenside" is beyond me. "pressurize the queenside" sounds unedumacated.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #66 - 03/23/07 at 19:59:22
Post Tools
J-dog wrote on 03/23/07 at 18:53:19:
I've been thinking about the pressure/pressurize thing for quite awhile, but I wasn't gonna say anything. However, now that it has been brought it up, I'd like to say that as an American, I thought "pressurize" sounded distinctly wrong, but like Markovich, when I looked it up in the dictionary I was surprised to find it was correct.  Well, mostly.  It seems most definitions of "pressurize" involve some sort of liquid or gas, like atmospheres (like the cabins of airplanes) or in cooking. "Press" also comes into consideration in this conversation.

After some thought, I've come to some conclusions on the subtle connotations/feelings of these words derived from my own experience:

Pressurize sounds:
1.Impersonal/Scientific
2.Localized

Pressure sounds:
1.Personal/Psychological

Press sounds:
1. General/Abstract, covering a wide or total range.

"Before the game my seconds pressured me into playing 9.Nd5 in the Sveshnikov.  After a grueling fight, where I had pressed my opponent continually and methodically on all fronts, he eventually capitulated.  From the get go, I had pressurized the d6 point with my heavy pieces."   

Of course these are just my opinions and somebody else might get a totally different feeling from these words.

On a similar note, in chess books I see the word "commonest" quite often.  It sounds funny to me because my whole life I have used the term "most common" instead.  In fact, I can't recall ever hearing/seeing "commonest" until I picked up a chess book.  I know that both are correct, though.

"Pressurize d6" makes me think of pumping d6 full of compressed air, and I think most Americans would join me in that.  You too, it seems.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

J-dog

Reply #65 - 03/23/07 at 18:53:19
Post Tools
I've been thinking about the pressure/pressurize thing for quite awhile, but I wasn't gonna say anything. However, now that it has been brought it up, I'd like to say that as an American, I thought "pressurize" sounded distinctly wrong, but like Markovich, when I looked it up in the dictionary I was surprised to find it was correct.  Well, mostly.  It seems most definitions of "pressurize" involve some sort of liquid or gas, like atmospheres (like the cabins of airplanes) or in cooking. "Press" also comes into consideration in this conversation.

After some thought, I've come to some conclusions on the subtle connotations/feelings of these words derived from my own experience:

Pressurize sounds:
1.Impersonal/Scientific
2.Localized

Pressure sounds:
1.Personal/Psychological

Press sounds:
1. General/Abstract, covering a wide or total range.

"Before the game my seconds pressured me into playing 9.Nd5 in the Sveshnikov.  After a grueling fight, where I had pressed my opponent continually and methodically on all fronts, he eventually capitulated.  From the get go, I had pressurized the d6 point with my heavy pieces."   

Of course these are just my opinions and somebody else might get a totally different feeling from these words.

On a similar note, in chess books I see the word "commonest" quite often.  It sounds funny to me because my whole life I have used the term "most common" instead.  In fact, I can't recall ever hearing/seeing "commonest" until I picked up a chess book.  I know that both are correct, though.

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #64 - 03/23/07 at 18:32:54
Post Tools
[quote author=IMJohnCox]Actually, Justin, they do employ proofreaders, or at least Everyman do. What they don't have is editors whose forte is writing good English rather than being good chessplayers and knowing how to lay the thing out and so forth. Many chess books (by native speakers, I mean) could do with being translated into English before being published. But it's a small market with small margins..... [/quote]

Well, if Everyman employ proofreaders it certainly doesn't show because they do a damned bad job. Some of what gets published is really very poor indeed. (I shall probably be giving examples in the Streatham and Brixton blog as time goes by.)

As for being a small market with small margins - well, I appreciate that. I've been an author (and hope to be so again) and I am currently a bookseller. I know how little money there is in books. But at the same time, there's no way that the standard of books will improve unless people are prepared to say how bad they often are.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #63 - 03/23/07 at 18:13:51
Post Tools
Interestedly, the best English speakers are often not the ones whose native language is English. Nordics especially tend to be pretty good. I once knew a guy form Finland whose English was better than any native English speaker.

In fact, many multinational corporations prefer to hire persons whose first tongue is not English even when the setting involves working in English. Part of the justification is that  non-native English speakers tend to use less idioms  and informal words and expressions,  and that helps the communication process.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 03/23/07 at 18:05:41
Post Tools
Actually, Justin, they do employ proofreaders, or at least Everyman do. What they don't have is editors whose forte is writing good English rather than being good chessplayers and knowing how to lay the thing out and so forth. Many chess books (by native speakers, I mean) could do with being translated into English before being published. But it's a small market with small margins.....

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #61 - 03/23/07 at 17:50:27
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 03/23/07 at 06:31:15:
IMJohnCox wrote on 03/22/07 at 10:37:45:
Justin, I think you're right. I have noticed it by some English author, certainly. But of course one wouldn't expect English GMs to write grammatically. One expects better things of foreigners.

Pig-ignorant question here: after 3...Bc5 4 00 Nf6 5 d4, why isn't that pawn en prise to 5...Bxd4? I always thought the Max Lange started after 3....Nf6 4 d4 exd4 5 00 Bc5. (feel free to refer me to past threads and/or Bilguer's Handbuch; I know nothing of this stuff).

I am guessing it may have something to do with cutting a corner. The Bxd4 is probably a tad better, but the Max Lange is in the repertoire anyway. I would guess that also 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Bc4 Bc5 5.0-0 d6 (Nf6 is Max Lange again) isnt in for the same reason.

PS isnt Flear an aussie?
PPS Another related question: Why you British chaps always use "pressurize" in the books? Sounds a tad Americanized to my ears. Wink

I've noticed this in English-published chess books and been aggravated by it.

I would have thought that "pressurize" were not used very much by Americans as a substitute for "apply pressure to," but rather that this term were mostly restricted to subjecting contents of a confined space to a pressure greater than atmospheric.  I asked three co-workers here and they all agreed that "pressurize" sounded incorrect in the mere sense of "apply pressure to."  But I notice that that is the second of the definitions given in Webster, so evidently we are all technically wrong.  But this usage of "pressurize" must be rather rare over here.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #60 - 03/23/07 at 17:50:16
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 03/23/07 at 17:24:21:
Surely the verb is press, not pressure?

Anyway the answer is that most authors of chess books in the UK have virtually zero actual writing skills, being chessplayers by inclination and authors only by necessity.

I don't mind this: I don't expect Glenn Flear (say) to be able to write fine prose any more than Mr Flear would expect me to be able to hold my own in a grandmaster tournament. What I have a problem with is that publishing houses appear to employ nobody who can turn mangled English into something comprehensible and even pleasant. Or more than that, that they don't actually appear to employ any sort of proof-readers at all, judging by some of the real horrors that end up on the printed page.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #59 - 03/23/07 at 17:32:32
Post Tools
I would think that the usual expression, at least in the chess sense, is "to put pressure on" etc. (to apply pressure to, to exert pressure against).  But I sort of like "pressurize/pressurise" ...

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #58 - 03/23/07 at 17:24:21
Post Tools
Surely the verb is press, not pressure?

Anyway the answer is that most authors of chess books in the UK have virtually zero actual writing skills, being chessplayers by inclination and authors only by necessity.

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #57 - 03/23/07 at 16:49:15
Post Tools
Quote:
Why you British chaps always use "pressurize" in the books? Sounds a tad Americanized to my ears.

every american player I know thinks "pressurized" sounds awful, and we think it is some weird british thing. I recently wrote a book, and told my editors to make sure there was no awful "pressurized" in the book!

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #56 - 03/23/07 at 14:40:43
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 03/23/07 at 06:31:15:
PS isnt Flear an aussie?

Surely he's from Leicester!

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #55 - 03/23/07 at 13:56:49
Post Tools
[quote]Why you British chaps always use "pressurize" in the books? Sounds a tad Americanized to my ears. [/quote]

As a professional editor I can only agree with Willempie. Using "pressurize" in the sense of "pressure" in UK English is not wrong, but the additional syllable is worse than redundant. The main reason for its frequency is probably creeping American influence -- not a good enough reason in itself for accepting the usage. (Whether the "-iz" or the "-is" spelling is used is, of course, a wholly separate issue, which has no intrinsic basis in any distinction between US and UK English in that "-iz" spellings are perfectly acceptable in UK English as well, except of course in words like "analyse", "paralyse".)

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #54 - 03/23/07 at 06:31:15
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 03/22/07 at 10:37:45:
Justin, I think you're right. I have noticed it by some English author, certainly. But of course one wouldn't expect English GMs to write grammatically. One expects better things of foreigners.

Pig-ignorant question here: after 3...Bc5 4 00 Nf6 5 d4, why isn't that pawn en prise to 5...Bxd4? I always thought the Max Lange started after 3....Nf6 4 d4 exd4 5 00 Bc5. (feel free to refer me to past threads and/or Bilguer's Handbuch; I know nothing of this stuff).

I am guessing it may have something to do with cutting a corner. The Bxd4 is probably a tad better, but the Max Lange is in the repertoire anyway. I would guess that also 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Bc4 Bc5 5.0-0 d6 (Nf6 is Max Lange again) isnt in for the same reason.

PS isnt Flear an aussie?
PPS Another related question: Why you British chaps always use "pressurize" in the books? Sounds a tad Americanized to my ears. Wink

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo